BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Guthrie And Corry Evans

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You see much more of him than me PV so I'll bow to your superior knowledge on that.

Interesting that Bowyer eulogised about Lowe's ability to 'spot danger'. Maybe that's on for the Bowyer thread!

Can't say I do in all honesty Chris. And as it goes I do agree with you that watching in the ground does give a very different outlook than watching on TV. But live or on TV I can't recall ever watching Lowe and thinking he'd had a great game. I just don't think he is cut out for a midfield berth. He seems like a good lad, but I just think his brain is a good second behind the lads he's up against most weeks.

• Moderation Lead

In our current system, we simply have better players than Lowe, so if he's playing it should only be down to injury. In a 4-5-1, Lowe is reasonable enough, but as long as there's some guile and bite in there alongside him.

Guthrie and Evans seems to be our best combination so far, but Akpan has looked decent as well, so it's nice to have some proper cover in there as well.

Going over and over Lowe's faults and shortcomings is over-complicating things imo, we've simply got better options available.

Lowe isn't supposed to be the 'footballer' in our side. He isn't supposed to be the one making a 1-2 and getting beyond the opposition midfield or back four. So it's not fair to judge him on that. What he is supposed to do is protect our back four. And quite honestly that's where I have a problem with him. I don't think he does that job well enough. Covering ground is great but all too often when the opposition play the killer ball which opens us up, he's a good ten feet away. Being a defensive midfielder isn't about covering lots of ground to no affect. It's about knowing where the danger is and being able to get yourself into position to defuse the situation. Quite frankly Lowe doesn't have the footballing brain to play in that position imo. Look around the world at the best defensive midfielders and they are generally the cleverest, most cute in their respective sides. I wouldn't expect Lowe to be at that level of course. But it is his undoing and I don't see what he offers in that position that Evans couldn't. To steal a phrase from the mercurial Stan Collynlmore :-/ a defensive midfielder should rat around. Sadly Lowe doesn't do that we'll enough. It's like having a jack Russell in the midfield. An old one. Which smells a bit and has developed arthritis.

I have doubts about him playing DM as well, but he isn't being played as a DM, a DM plays in a midfield 3 we mainly play 2, so he has additional responsibilities. As PV has said the DM role is actually more about sitting and seeing danger and nipping in to get a toe on a ball, or give away a free kick if there is a chance of a break, rather than running like an idiot - which only works if 3 or more players do the same, otherwise they will pass round you.

I don't Dislike Lowe, i just feel that under a decent manager playing a more pressing game he may be more effective whereas at present he doesn't fit our game, probably why hes better bet a full back.

Evans had be revitalised by playing 20 yards further up the pitch in the pressing 442. Maybe Lowe would similarly benefit from his change in role. Both have struggled when deeper and trying to pass the ball.

Anyhow the issue is not really Evans or Lowe as we have four (!!) players who can have a stab at their "work hard and get a foot in" role. If Evans becomes unavailable Akpan slots into that role no problem, and if he's out Lowe or Williamson can have a stab.

Guthrie in the otherhand is the keystone we have no replacement for.

As USA said - what's the latest on him?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A good move IMO.

Evans has the capability to be a very handy player at this level and I think we have seen glimpses in his first season and at times this season that he can be important for us.

Hopefully we follow this up with Marcus Olsson signing a new deal in the next few weeks.

Taken me by surprise this. Lambert said in that interview on radio lancs that he'd sit down with the relevant players in the next few weeks to discuss contract renewals. Now this out of the blue. I can only conclude that Paul Lambert is a liar of the highest order. Another shyster only here to rip us off. I bet he has negotiated a cut of Evans' deal. Does this man have a dog? Is Alan Irvine a coach or an undercover body guard. And how much fan mail is Lambert getting in the post? I've gone from ecstatic to dubious is the space of an hour.

It seems to me that there has probably been an offer to Evans on the table for some time, or that negotiations have been ongoing for some time.

The arrival of Lambert might have pushed Evans into signing the deal and getting himself tied down to a contract. Possibly the change of manager has persuaded him to commit his future.

Its highly unlikely that in the space of 3-4 days since taking over Lambert has decided Evans is vitally important and has put together a contract offer which has been considered and accepted by Evans. The groundwork was probably done over the last few weeks and Lambert probably gave it the thumbs up this week.

Taken me by surprise this. In the radio lancs interview Lambert said he'd sit down with the relevant players in the next few weeks to discuss contract renewals. Now this out of the blue. I can only conclude that Paul Lambert is a liar of the highest order. Another shyster only here to rip us off. I bet he has negotiated a cut of Evans' deal. Does this man have a dog? Is Alan Irvine a coach or an undercover body guard? Exactly how much fan mail is Lambert getting? I have gone from ecstatic to dubious in the space of an hour.

You have absolutely no reason to come to this conclusion Patrick. Let's give the guy a chance before condemning him.

I was joking Al. I'm delighted Evans has signed up. Good little player imo. And I'm even more delighted we have a manager who is decisive enough to recognise it and tie him down. Good stuff all round. Not been able to say that about Rovers for a while.

http://mobile.rovers.co.uk/news/article/corry-evans-blackburn-rovers-northern-ireland-2809256.aspx

Evans signs a new deal. Happy with that. Clearly Lambert sees him as part of the long term plan.

Evans is one of the players I feel who hasn't yet been challenged enough during his time here. I think he will be on the players who can really kick on under the new regime.

Evans is one of the players I feel who hasn't yet been challenged enough during his time here. I think he will be on the players who can really kick on under the new regime.

I think he has looked a lot better when we have played a high pressure pressing game - with short sharp passing - which seems to be what PL is been pushing - so he could get even better.

Archived