BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Medical Team

An interesting article in The Guardian with an insight into medical behind the scenes at the Rovers from David Fevre, head of medical services at the Rovers.

I think it's telling that they chose to quote David and it shows Rovers in terms other than the basket case the media used to enjoy. Especially as there have been some strong opinions expressed on here (for a change 😘) about, erm, fitness levels and injuries.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/the-agony-and-the-ecstasy/2015/sep/24/eva-carneiro-chelsea-medics-role-premier-league-football

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

our current coaching staff regarding fitness and medicine

we have Dave Fevre who is in charge of Sport Medicine

Amit Pannu as club doctor

Chris Neville as Head of Athletic Performance
Chris Rush as Lead Athletic Performance Coach
Matthew Busby as Senior Athletic Performance Coach
Liam Mason as Athletic Performance Coach
Neil Fitzhenry as Chartered Physiotherapist
Liam McGarry as Chartered Physiotherapist
Jordan Demetriou as Chartered Physiotherapist
Stewart Welsh as Masseur
Academy

Chris Dalton as Academy Doctor

Russ Wrigley as Head of Sports Science & Medicine

David Pinckard asChartered Physiotherapist
Anthony Reedy as Chartered Physiotherapist
Ishan Singh Lead Strength & Conditioning Coach

They are just names Chaddy and meaningless.

One of my work philosophies is 'what gets measured gets done' !

I look at Rovers over recent years and ask myself:

• are we at least as fit as other teams - IMV, no
  • do we suffer more injuries than other teams, particularly niggles (hamstring, calf, thigh etc) - IMV, yes
  • do we get players back quicker than other teams from 'minor' / serious injuries - IMV, no

There are very recent examples, IMV, to back these opinions up. Look at Brown and his knee - the guy is rarely fit and was injured almost immediately upon joining us (if he was not crocked already - had a cruciate some years ago) and then there is Lowe and his foot injury which still seems to be proving problematic after many months of treatment and operations.

I have always felt our medical team started going downhill when Doc Batty left.

Would love to know who appointed Dr Robertson who disappeared without trace !

IMV, like all aspects of Rovers, feels like we need a fresh start in this area. Carneiro would put a few thousand on the gate for starters !

Stewart Welsh as Masseur
Academy

Thanks for the info.

It's a fair old staff though, just what the hell do they do during office hours every day ? You'd need a hell of an injury list and a lot of training sessions to keep that lot busy. No wonder ex players on the books of other clubs can pop by for a bit of treatment :rover:

Dr Robertson was appointed by Steve Kean when he was manager here.

I think he left when he was offered a job in the middle East.

Just a quick google search, Dr Duncan Robertson works in Qatar now for Qatar FA now.

Link here https://touch.www.linkedin.com/?sessionid=5763455572757029&as=false&rs=false&can=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Elinkedin%2Ecom%2Fpub%2Fduncan-robertson%2F34%2F405%2F4b7&dl=no#profile/url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Elinkedin%2Ecom%2Fpub%2Fduncan-robertson%2F34%2F405%2F4b7

I know the proof is in the pudding, but, I thought Fevre was one of the best in the business? So has he got sloppy, or is the management overruling the medical team on when players are fit enough to return to action? Or is it down to bad training methods? In which case, it's not the medical team's fault.

Well he couldn't fix Nelsen's knee, yet Spurs had him up and running in no time. ;)

• do we suffer more injuries than other teams, particularly niggles (hamstring, calf, thigh etc) - IMV, yes
  • do we get players back quicker than other teams from 'minor' / serious injuries - IMV, no

There are very recent examples, IMV, to back these opinions up. Look at Brown and his knee - the guy is rarely fit and was injured almost immediately upon joining us (if he was not crocked already - had a cruciate some years ago) and then there is Lowe and his foot injury which still seems to be proving problematic after many months of treatment and operations.

IMV, like all aspects of Rovers, feels like we need a fresh start in this area. Carneiro would put a few thousand on the gate for starters !

These things ebb and flow. The year Burnley got promoted some bloke was gobbing off on here about their amazing sports science and medical set up, they only used 16 players or something because of their magical powers behind the scenes.

Well that didn't help them last season did it, and with a bunch of their best players currently injured or returning from injury, it doesn't seem to be helping now either.

Dave Fevre is massively respected in the game and throughout sport, why you would choose to reference Phil Batty is a mystery given his career path since he left - perhaps you two are very close?? :wub:

These things ebb and flow. The year Burnley got promoted some bloke was gobbing off on here about their amazing sports science and medical set up, they only used 16 players or something because of their magical powers behind the scenes.

Well that didn't help them last season did it, and with a bunch of their best players currently injured or returning from injury, it doesn't seem to be helping now either.

Dave Fevre is massively respected in the game and throughout sport, why you would choose to reference Phil Batty is a mystery given his career path since he left - perhaps you two are very close?? :wub:

Their amazing sports scientists, that we sacked IIRC.

Surely although they are clumped together under Chaddys post, there is a massive difference between those dealing with injuries incurred, and those responsible for athletic performance. I feel similarly to MM that we are far behind where we used to be athletic performance wise.

As for injury, its about the preventable ones, something Majibal knew more than the rest of us put together about before he got banned, but he was pretty sceptical about Neville, and positive about Howard (who we sacked and went to Burnley).

Stewart Welsh as Masseur

Academy

Bloody hell! How many!? Just get Tony Long back and lay them all off - we'll be able to buy Messi in a couple of years!

Bloody hell! How many!? Just get Tony Long back and lay them all off - we'll be able to buy Messi in a couple of years!

It's the same with coaching staff - four to look after 1st team is ridiculous (Bowyer, McPhillips, Grant & Short) as is two to look after the U21's (Johnson and Filan). At least two positions should be made redundant.

• Backroom

It's the same with coaching staff - four to look after 1st team is ridiculous (Bowyer, McPhillips, Grant & Short) as is two to look after the U21's (Johnson and Filan). At least two positions should be made redundant.

Tell me how many coaches other championship sides have before saying a manager, assistant and 2 coaches are too many for the 1st team. Don't forget the gk coach while you're at it!

Worth noting:

José Mourinho - First team manager

Steve Holland - Assistant first team coach

Silvino Louro - Assistant first team coach

Rui Faria - Assistant first team coach

Tell me how many coaches other championship sides have before saying a manager, assistant and 2 coaches are too many for the 1st team. Don't forget the gk coach while you're at it!

Manchester City (Pellegrini, Fuse & Kidd) Manchester United (LVG, Giggs & Stuivenberg) and Liverpool (Rogers, O'Driscoll & McAllister) all have three compared to Rovers four. Says it all for me.

Mercerman, it all depends what each member of Bowyer's 1st team coaching staff does and bring to the staff. do you know what each bring to the staff? it ok calling for people to be made redundant but surely you should know 1st what each member bring to the staff.

Tell me how many coaches other championship sides have before saying a manager, assistant and 2 coaches are too many for the 1st team.

Mike, I haven't include the GK coach/fitness coach but I have look at other championship team and how many coaches they have within 1st team set up.

here is list of clubs who have similar set up to ours or even more

Hull City have Bruce as manager, Phelan as number 2, Bertschin and Clemence as first team coaches

Cardiff have Slade as manager, Young as number 2, with Trollope and Rowberry as 1st team coaches

Brentford have Marinus Dijkhuizen Head Coach, Roy Hendriksen Assistant Head Coach, Tom Bates Coach, Bartek Sylwestrzak Coach, Gianni Vio Coach

Sheffield Wednesday have Carvalhal as head coach, Joao Mario, Joao Cunha, Bruno Lage and Lee Bullen as coaches under him.

Re fitness at Rovers, I think they look fitter than they have in a long time. Rhodes is much stronger, more energetic and leaner, Marshall no longer looks like Andy Payton's love child and all exempt Koita and Guthrie we still look full of effort until the death. Maybe it's a new philosophy, maybe it's the fact that they can focus on other areas now that their time isn't taken up by Dunn and King...whichever way, I think it's working.

Mercerman, it all depends what each member of Bowyer's 1st team coaching staff does and bring to the staff. do you know what each bring to the staff? it ok calling for people to be made redundant but surely you should know 1st what each member bring to the staff.

Hull City have Bruce as manager, Phelan as number 2, Bertschin and Clemence as first team coaches

Cardiff have Slade as manager, Young as number 2, with Trollope and Rowberry as 1st team coaches

Brentford have Marinus Dijkhuizen Head Coach, Roy Hendriksen Assistant Head Coach, Tom Bates Coach, Bartek Sylwestrzak Coach, Gianni Vio Coach

Sheffield Wednesday have Carvalhal as head coach, Joao Mario, Joao Cunha, Bruno Lage and Lee Bullen as coaches under him.

Based upon our performances and record under Bowyer, I am clueless as to what they actually do ! I would suggest that whatever the four of them do, it isn't very good as it clearly isn't working.

As for needing four, United, City and Liverpool all use three !

Manchester City (Pellegrini, Fuse & Kidd) Manchester United (LVG, Giggs & Stuivenberg) and Liverpool (Rogers, O'Driscoll & McAllister) all have three compared to Rovers four. Says it all for me.

Liverpool have 4 actually.

Rodgers as manager, O'Driscoll as number 2,McAllister and Lijnders as 1st team coaches

Arsenal have 4 aswell

Wenger as manager, Bould as number 2, Primorac and Banfield as 1st team coaches

And Chelsea have 4 as duvulsuker as stated before hand

As for needing four, United, City and Liverpool all use three !

as I have previously said that Liverpool use 4. Chelsea and Arsenal do aswell

Archived