BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] English National Anthem

Now then, MPs agreed today to introduce a bill on whether or not England should have its own national anthem.

The hymn “Jerusalem” is widely considered to be the frontrunner if parliament does go ahead with the idea.

My favourite though is Land of Hope and Glory.

Any thoughts ?

• Backroom

I definitely agree it needs changing. But in terms of 'being more English', I don't think you can get more English than 'rebellious Scots to crush'.

I vote for something a bit daft: Vindaloo, like Am'o

True but I'd say most people don't know the words to Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory either. The Wembley crowd did an almost passable job of learning La Marseillaise after the Paris attacks so you'd think people could manage to learn a song in English.

Whether anyone would be motivated to is another matter. The national anthem only gets sung by fans at football and rugby as far as I'm aware and I'd say singing it at football is on the wane, decades of underperforming from England at football seems to have knocked most of the passion out of England fans.

I Vow to Thee my Country is a good shout. Problem is most people don't know the words beyond the first line.

That one didn't ring a bell so I looked it up. The first hit on Youtube was it being sung at Margaret Thatcher's funeral. I'm surprised that you nominated it.

Archived