BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers' Top 10 Premier League Goals

frosty

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pedersen's second at OT the year we did the double.

we got thrown out of the walton arms at bolton on the way home from this one

Not a premier league goal ,but my greatest all time goal and probably the most important in rovers history for me was at wembley .Newell.

They are pond life pal. They don't feel shame , they don't feel remorse and most of they don't feel anything for us fans .... Say it ain't so MG .

The drop in quality of the squad since they took over is stark when watching that montage. At the moment seeing a goal is a novelty, seeing goals of that quality is pie in the sky!

Not a great goal, but a great moment. And still a good finish. Shearer away at Newcastle after returning from injury.

I also liked Shearer's first against Man U in the 2-0 at home. Header back across goal wrong-footing the Danish bombshell. Timed to absolute perfection, but most remember his second smacking it straight through Shmeichals eyebrows.

So many Shearer memories.

One that always stays with me was when he hit a hat trick at Tottenham when we were reigning Champs, charged through the defence in the last minute and smashed it in.

Always thought, 3 or so new players to freshen up that side and we could have done it again.

One that always stays with me was when he hit a hat trick at Tottenham when we were reigning Champs, charged through the defence in the last minute and smashed it in.

Always thought, 3 or so new players to freshen up that side and we could have done it again.

I don't think we needed three. A couple would have done. Overmars for Wilcox ?

Someone tell me, as it was slightly before my time, why we didn't push on after our title-winning season? Was Jack perhaps guilty of being overly loyal to the lads who won him the league, when we could've had Zidane & Dugarry? Why did we promote Harford instead of recruiting a proper manager? Did Jack think that Harford was familiar enough with the set-up to fill Kenny's shoes?

Curious that Jack didn't learn this lesson a few years later when it came to Brian Kidd.

'If it aint broke don't fix it' was supposedly Jack's mantra in the summer of '95.

Though it was blindingly obvious by the April of the title winning season that the side was running out of steam and needed refreshing. Something Ferguson was always excellent at spotting.

Alas, we didn't refresh it (the infamous Matty Holmes aside), and as Newcastle and United did that summer, down the league we fell.

I always remember thinking that signing Les Ferdinand in the summer of 95 would have been a great buy to partner Shearer as it was pretty clear that Sutton needed some competition for his place, seeing that Gallacher had gotten injured again and Newell was a bit past his best by then.

Just a shame it happened a year later at Newcastle instead of with us.

Its all speculation (unless anyone has heard it from Jack himself) but personally I don't think it was ever in Jack's business plan for Rovers for him to just continue plowing in money indefinitely. Unlike the billionaire owners of today, Jack couldn't finance Rovers as a challenger of Man U without taking a fairly big whack to his finances. Did he end up losing a quarter of his fortune with Rovers? That's just a figure I heard one time. And on top of the perhaps reluctance to keep spending, I think Jack in the early days was driven by one target, champions of England, and he achieved it. Maybe immediately after that a bit of fire went out of his belly and was jolted into action again by the events of the next season. Kenny didn't do him or anyone else at the club any favours at all by jumping ship when he was the only guy at the club who'd been in the position of defending a title before.

I think when it comes down to it though its an extremely difficult job maintaining those lofty heights even when you're a club the size of Everton, Newcastle or Villa. When you're a Rovers or a Leicester, its like walking a tightrope. One bad manager, bad major signing or the exit of one top player, and you're off the perch. And once you're off the perch there's no other reason for the top players to come to you and bang, its all over. If parallel universes exist and Jack/the board made different decisions in each one, I still think there's only about 1 in 10,000 where Rovers are still now where they were in 1995.

Loyalty to the guys than won it probably. We were a bit unlucky winning it just before most teams realised you needed a larger squad, almost two teams, and that players need rotating from time to time. The powers that were thought you could play the same team two games a week indefinitely as was done in the old days.

No matter how well you play and what you win the weak link in the team needs replacing every season.

Aaron Mokoena's goal against somebody I can't remember. Think it was City. Not great, but it was great to see the Axe score :)

Goal of the season I think. I liked the Axe. I remember him hitting a long cross field ball from out wide near our penalty box straight into Pedersen's stride out on the left wing. About 70 yds but inch perfect. Tugay would have been proud of that one.

Archived