BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Eu Referendum, In Or Out - Looks Like Blackburn Wants Out !

How will you vote on June 23rd  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or Leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union
    • Leave the European Union

• Moderation Lead

Most intelligent quote you've made all week... :lol:

Very, very disappointing result. Narrow minded and short sighted. I sincerely hope we don't live to regret this.

Is it possible for you to post without the digs? It would be just delightful if it was!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The horrible things the derided experts are already coming true.

You went to bed in the 5th largest economy in the world and woke up in the 7th.

£ already down 10% and the markets aren't open yet...

Utter rubbish.

FTSE higher than 10 days a go. French, Germany and Japs faring worse, what does that tell you?

Just like uk - Calais then .

Except it's a land border. The ROI can't stop any EU citizen entering but the UK will be able to stop everyone from entering. If the UK is serious about preventing immigration it could well mean a fortified border.

The two situations are different.

FTSE down 10%. Some banks down 30%.

Cameron walks meaning the Leave campaign have to clear up the mess. Anyone want to name a Conservative politician in the leave camp capable of running the country?

FTSE is reversing and 5% now trending back slightly, no good making a judgement at the moment.

Carney's statement having an effect to stabalise the markets

FTSE down 10%. Some banks down 30%.

Cameron walks meaning the Leave campaign have to clear up the mess. Anyone want to name a Conservative politician in the leave camp capable of running the country?

Paul, your comment had me thinking.

This is the perfect opportunity for a "re arrangement" of politics in the UK.

By that I mean, there are like minded MPs on both side at the moment. This is their opportunity to come together and form a party that completely takes the middle ground. Takes the best of the right policies and the best from the left.

Very worried, genuine congratulations to those that wanted it people took a Stand to make a change I just fear it's a bad one.

On a very insular level I worry about my future in my job and my shares are done for!

Our shares at the same price as last weekend..

Politically, economically and socially, this vote is a disaster for this country - there's no other way of putting it.

The referendum has seen a badly divided Britain sign off as one of the west’s leading powers. Cameron had warned that a decision to pull up the drawbridge against Europe would be an act of self-harm. It is much more than that. We've been a global player for centuries — and for one long spell an unrivalled empire — but Britain has now sounded the retreat.

Forget dreamy nostalgia about a nation unshackled from Brussels reconquering the world. Britain will spend the next decade in search of what will be a much diminished role.

A vote against the EU could well turn out also to be a vote against the United Kingdom. The Brexiters were English nationalists. Scotland and Northern Ireland wanted to remain. So the leaving of one union may be the death of another

By that I mean, there are like minded MPs on both side at the moment. This is their opportunity to come together and form a party that completely takes the middle ground. Takes the best of the right policies and the best from the left.

Is that not the Liberal Democrats?

Or we could cause utter chaos by splitting Labour and Tories up and having the Social Democrat Party and the Liberal Party. Seem to remember that didn't work out too well last time :)

• Backroom

Our shares at the same price as last weekend..

Yep let's see what happens, opening at £3.70 was alarming!

Still worried overall but you put things to a vote you have to accept the outcome

The pound has fallen to a 30 year low. So far in fact that Britain is no longer the 5th biggest economy. Prices will inevitably rise. There's no doubt that the country is poorer this morning. We were warned what would happen, but either people didn't believe it, or didn't care.

Is that not the Liberal Democrats?

Or we could cause utter chaos by splitting Labour and Tories up and having the Social Democrat Party and the Liberal Party. Seem to remember that didn't work out too well last time :)

No Biddy, the Lib/Dems as I understand, have their own agenda, which may or may not fit in. There may be some in that camp that would agree with those either side of them, but, more importantly, a government now need a good majority of it's peoples on side.

At this point in time, there is great division.

It is the sort of thing which could happen. I'm obviously not a Tory voter but I hold both Labour and Conservative politicians responsible for this decision.

Cameron should never have taken us down this path and Corbyn should have fought much harder. I like listening to Corbyn, a quiet man who gives the air of someone who really does think about his views. He hasn't done enough on this.

If we had a general election tomorrow for the first time in my life I would not vote. There isn't anyone to vote for.

We do though now need a general election.

Scottish independence is absolutely guaranteed now. I thought the SNP would never top General Election night in 2015 but it couldn't have gone any better for them last night.

I'm not so sure it is. Oil price, they may have to join the Euro etc...it is not nailed on.

On a personal level, I am facing a six figure research contract being cancelled because Britain will no longer be within the EU research umbrella. Before anyone yells about money from Brussels, it is 100% NOT funded by Brussels but Britain is/was attractive because of mutual regulation of the sector.

We don't know what will happen BUT THAT UNCERTAINTY IS THE PROBLEM. I cannot ask my client to go through with the project when the value of the British accreditation might be worthless in European terms at some point in the future.

It is the sheer uncertainty of what will come to be (for instance, we know Gove would throw whole nurseries full of babies out with the EU bath water) which means clients will not contemplate Britain while the risk is there, no matter how remote- they only need to look at the casual disregard of expert advice Gove showed when Minister of Education to know he man is the worst sort of cowboy. All we do know for certain is that our area will not be number 1 priority in negotiating Brexit- in fact it won't even be number 1,001- so the period of uncertainty will be prolonged.

If this happens, I will have no option but to lay off a team of highly talented British researchers working in London. Yes, I said people I am employing in London, not Malta.

The Maltese Cabinet is in emergency session because 27% of Maltese imports are sourced from Britain (by far the highest percentage of any of the 27 EU member states). Brexit is expected to reduce Maltese GDP growth from 5.5% this year to 4%.

It is possible that I will be invited to work in a team targeting British businesses to transfer from the UK to Malta. If little Malta is doing that, you can be absolutely certain the other 26 EU countries, their regions and their cities, are going to be stripping the UK by inducing nervous companies (and they are all nervous this morning believe me) of jobs and investments into the market of 500m and away from the market of 64m. I really wouldn't like to be a non-geographically mobile British steel worker, car worker or aircraft engineer this morning.

I'm not so sure it is. Oil price, they may have to join the Euro etc...it is not nailed on.

Believe me - if they manage to call a referendum quickly enough to tap into the mood up here it is absolutely nailed on. The oil price will barely come into it. It was a close call last time and SNP popularity has surged since then, without even factoring in the resentment Scotland feels after this latest episode.

Still nearly 40% of the Scottish people also voted to leave the EU. I don't think it is as cut and dried with a failing economy north of the border with the oil price. Things there are only going to get worse now with this result. I think there needs to be calm and things thought about VERY seriously before jumping ship.

On a personal level, I am facing a six figure research contract being cancelled because Britain will no longer be within the EU research umbrella. Before anyone yells about money from Brussels, it is 100% NOT funded by Brussels but Britain is/was attractive because of mutual regulation of the sector.

We don't know what will happen BUT THAT UNCERTAINTY IS THE PROBLEM. I cannot ask my client to go through with the project when the value of the British accreditation might be worthless in European terms at some point in the future.

It is the sheer uncertainty of what will come to be (for instance, we know Gove would throw whole nurseries full of babies out with the EU bath water) which means clients will not contemplate Britain while the risk is there, no matter how remote- they only need to look at the casual disregard of expert advice Gove showed when Minister of Education to know he man is the worst sort of cowboy. All we do know for certain is that our area will not be number 1 priority in negotiating Brexit- in fact it won't even be number 1,001- so the period of uncertainty will be prolonged.

If this happens, I will have no option but to lay off a team of highly talented British researchers working in London. Yes, I said people I am employing in London, not Malta.

The Maltese Cabinet is in emergency session because 27% of Maltese imports are sourced from Britain (by far the highest percentage of any of the 27 EU member states). Brexit is expected to reduce Maltese GDP growth from 5.5% this year to 4%.

It is possible that I will be invited to work in a team targeting British businesses to transfer from the UK to Malta. If little Malta is doing that, you can be absolutely certain the other 26 EU countries, their regions and their cities, are going to be stripping the UK by inducing nervous companies (and they are all nervous this morning believe me) of jobs and investments into the market of 500m and away from the market of 64m. I really wouldn't like to be a non-geographically mobile British steel worker, car worker or aircraft engineer this morning.

So your life is not over then.

Will you respect the result ?

Technically, Sturgeon can say as she has done, Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain and she is abiding by that vote- remember she is an MSP not an MP and the Referendum Act is notably silent on this point. Unlike an MP she and her fellow governing MsPs are not "advised" by the British referendum.

For Scotland to leave the EU (as opposed to leaving the UK), the 1998 Government of Scotland Act has to be significantly amended because it was carefully drafted apportioning powers between Holyrood, Westminster AND Brussels in accordance with the 1971 European Accession Act. The default within the GoS Act is mostly that Brussels powers devolve to Holyrood so it creates a nearly de facto Scottish independence automatically if/when Brussels is removed from the picture .

With 56 out of 59 Scottish MPs in Westminster (and the other 3 all pro-Remain), it will be a very brave British PM who will propose amendments to the Government of Scotland Act, reducing the powers of Holyrood and going against the 3 to 2 remain vote in Scotland.

So your life is not over then.

Will you respect the result ?

You remind me of this shameful ugly turn of phrase- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/eu-referendum-nigel-farage-branded-shameful-for-claiming-victory-without-a-single-bullet-being-fired-a7099211.html

No my life is not over but I feel desperately sad for the British workers I am probably going to have to make redundant.

I am European, always was, always will be. I am considering my options but if I do relocate myself and my clients (because of Brexit uncertainty) chose to co-locate to Malta, the British tax base will reduced by millions.

Still nearly 40% of the Scottish people also voted to leave the EU. I don't think it is as cut and dried with a failing economy north of the border with the oil price. Things there are only going to get worse now with this result. I think there needs to be calm and things thought about VERY seriously before jumping ship.

So it is not cut and dried for the 48.1% who voted remain either?

You remind me of this shameful ugly turn of phrase- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/eu-referendum-nigel-farage-branded-shameful-for-claiming-victory-without-a-single-bullet-being-fired-a7099211.html

No my life is not over but I feel desperately sad for the British workers I am probably going to have to make redundant.

I am European, always was, always will be. I am considering my options but if I do relocate myself and my clients (because of Brexit uncertainty) chose to co-locate to Malta, the British tax base will reduced by millions.

So it is not cut and dried for the 48.1% who voted remain either?

There's the British spirit for you😕

Dont let the door hit yoy on thecway out.

Archived