BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Betting Thread

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I like value but risking £20 to win £7.50 profit isn't it. Silly bet.

That's how professional gamblers make money, though. Bet at low value very often and you'll more often than not build your money.

Admittedly they do it with a few 0s added on.

I don't mind betting at silly odds on when the time is right. However Vinjay is just blindly betting on that race because of the circumstances of the race there with no info or opinion other than there's not many runners !

If I told you the eventual winner had won 10 of its last 13, had won double the amount of prize money in its career as the favourite and 4X more than the second favourite, suddenly backing it at shorter than 2/5 not to win doesn't seem great value at all.

Win it did, by 51 lengths!

There were tips on the site and like I said the other 2 were ahead. There was also a bit of written information about each horse so it wasn't exactly "blind" as you put it. Perhaps some deeper research would have been a good idea will bear it in mind. Remember I've only just noticed some races only have 3 runners there was even one with 2 I noticed in the results! Its a new strategy and if it isn't working I'll stop doing it.

I've won it back since anyway.

Now for a football tip...

Barcelona v Real Madrid great odds on Madrid win 9/2 or draw 15/4. You could even bet on the win and draw for the value. Agree with Mike too but those people probably have at least 5 figures in the bank.

4 out of 6 on my Wrestlemania accumulator. Decent value (for a small stake) wrestling accumulators I reckon considering how predictable.the product is. Should have had a big bet on the Undertaker but being cautious as I don't wanna lose my Real Madrid winnings!

My favourite bet at the moment is to pick three games where I think there will be more than 2.5 goals (e.g. more than 2 goals!!). The premier league has been a good source of success this season. On Saturday I took the Arsenal, West Ham and Norwich games and it paid out at 7/1. The Stoke game would also have paid out.

Depending on the odds for any given game, it usually pays out between 5/1 and 8/1 and has come in more often than not for me recently.

I prefer it to picking teams to win on an accumulator, because it doesn't matter who scores the goals, and it is rare for the bet to have no chance going into the last 20 minutes or so as there are often late goals in games.

Thinking about betting on Bologna v Verona with the home side in midtable at 17/20. Verona are rock bottom but I'm kinda asking why aren't Bologna slightly more odds on? Draw is 23/10 and Verona is 18/5. Could consider equal stakes on draw and away perhaps? Did that with Barca v Madrid and won over £100. Won't bet to win that much tonight but what do you all think (at least the 2 people who might read in next 30 min anyway lol) about that?

Or what about Bologna 10/3 and both teams to score? Really think that looks like good value but persuade me lol! Just think the draw/Verona equal stake is a bit safer (even if they are bottom they haven't lost every game)...and as Mike said its a tactic the pros do.

Answer by 19.45! Its on BT Sport by the way if you have a bet yourself and decide to watch it too.

EDIT-No huge bet but 10/3 on Bologna and both to score it is then...

EDIT-Current 50 mins in with Verona 1-0 ahead. 40 minutes to go guess Bologna could come back but Verona have drawn almost as many games as they lost. Would be looking good if I had gone with the equal draw/verona stake so still a good general tip LOL! Just bet on a draw at 12/5 now (only half of the original stake) so good chance I might get it back plus a little bit more. Just as long as Verona don't win!

EDIT-Great chance for Bologna what an absolutely pathetic header. Clown.

EDIT-Guess I was right not to bet on Bologna outright but I thought they might at least get a draw. Idiots. Verona bottom of the league so certainly not a bad tip.

Vinjay it has to be said - so far your tips are terrible!

Well I don't think tipping Bologna to win/both teams score (plus the draw I tipped in the 2nd half when they were one down) had no logic behind it. Verona are bottom of the table and I did suggest doing the safety Verona win/draw bet as Bologna's odds were too close to EVS with just a standard win bet. Turns out I was right to be suspicious though unfortunately I didn't go with the Verona win/draw. Some idiot missed a completely free header too. Some of the horses I've suggested have at least won (at least the "safety" tip in a couple of cases to at least recoup won and that first horse tip on other thread was brilliant value) and my Real Madrid tip (betting on a Madrid win AND a draw) was highly successful. If you had followed all my tips you would be in profit right now probably depending on whether your bets were bigger or not. I'm trying that again (albeit it a smaller bet this time) with the odds on Atletico tonight. Got nothing against Barcelona really lol (only preferred them over Real and Atletico don't get as much coverage anyway) its just those odds are damn good value.

Rovers are 4/1 tonight. I've broken my "no betting on Rovers" rule recently (only rule now is NOT betting on Man United to do anything but lose and NEVER betting on Rovers to draw or lose) but only with small bets. Sometimes I wonder if fans get angry because its over a bet. I'll never forget hearing a fan moan once because Rovers were 4-1 up and he had bet on that score. He was complaining because Rovers were pushing for the 5th...never got to see what his reaction would have been as he won! I'm not going to put myself in that position where Rovers are concerned. Its worth it just to win a couple of quid as I could end up placing that on a horse or something and winning more.

Horses today...

4.45 at Newton Abbott the 2 favorites both 11/2 (if they have shortened or lengthened since that's not my problem) and they are Admiral Blake and I'llhavealook (with no spaces). You could bet on one of them or of course take the safety tip and bet both. 4.10 at Newton Abbott is Cody Wyoming tipped by William Hill at 8/1. Not the favorite but could be worth a small bet as there's not many runners.

I wouldn't be touching Rovers at all tonight. If you were neutral, there would be no signs to point to a potential shock.

Midweek racing anything can go in so I rarely bother with anything other than the odd long shots. For example in the first at Ludlow I'd rather take a punt on Hastrubal e/w at 33/1 than try and decide which of the favourites is on a going day / let off the leash.

Having learnt from experience and advice, I save any serious betting on horses for major festivals or high profile weekend meetings.

• Backroom

What you reckon?

I'm rubbish at attaching pics to a post. It's my accumulator for this evening. All to win:

Home wins:

Preston vs Fulham.

Ipswich vs Charlton.

Brentford vs Bolton.

Away wins:

MK Dons vs Wolves.

Bristol City vs Rotherham.

Dag&Red vs Morecambe.

Odds of 207.18

post-16824-0-88599000-1459859830_thumb.png

Atletico M 1-0 ahead at Nou Camp. Cash out at some point (the very safe option) or stick with it until the end? Bet on the win and draw again like with Real (though stake not as much) or even add other bets on a win and draw?

Torres sent off (idiot) but really Atletico were never going to go all out attack after the goal (also by Torres) anyway. Guess its an extra outlet and against Barcelona its important to retain the ball as much as possible. He's a striker though not a defender.

EDIT-Bet on Barcelona at 1-1 now 2-1. Should get vast majority of money back now unless its a draw.

Tomorrow at Lingfield 4.45 there's 4 runners. As odds stand THREE of them are all the same odds at 11/2. The favorite is 4/7 but if you placed equal bets on the 3 others there's still a good profit there. 4/7 is nothing compared to the odds of some favorites (including those with more runners) and the other horses are hardly useless. Had an 8/1 win earlier today after all though I didn't place a lot on it.

The horses are Skidby Mill, Binky Blue and Miss Inga Sock (who has been specifically tipped by William Hill) and even if you just bet 2 quid on each that's still a 7 quid profit.

Should have mentioned 6.30 (horses) at Leopardstown. Staked £4 returning £16 for Beechmount Whisper at 3/1.

Tonight I tip at 8.45 (horses) Kempton...Foie Gras at 5/1 who has over 20 tips on the William Hill site. Also think there's excellent value on Man City at 9/2 (and possibly suggest equal safety stake on a draw) but I haven't placed huge initial bets on either.

Just to point out again for those who have followed my tips (I imagine that's probably zero) and mostly stuck to my suggested bet sizes (well not in every post) you probably would have made a profit. Since I've gained more disposable income recently its time to take things a bit more seriously.

EDIT-About 38 min in Ibra not having a great night so far! Hart saved penalty and another chance not taken. Still really good odds on City win (and safety bet draw) may well have caught Ibra on a bad night. Yet to see which side PSG have caught Aguero on...

EDIT-Oh for that matter Kevin De Bruyne! 1-0! Looks like another terrible tip then Mr Marsland... :rolleyes:

EDIT-Oh...well if you bet on the draw too...

Also had a very small bet on Ricardo Rodriguez (not not Del Rio's former manager) for first scorer and that won! Infact Wolfsburg 2-0 up could be very good value betting a home win there.

Archived