BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sheff Wed Away 5Th April

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes yes yes. I've long thought that this guy is a forward in the making, he's got a bit of a burst of pace, definitely got a trick or two to go past a man, and he can shoot. He's a number 10 or someone who needs to be in the box with a bigger chap.

Marshall was played as no 10 by GB in pre season and early on in the league this season in a system of less long ball. He was less than useless and clearly wasn't comfortable playing there judging by his head shaking and general non moving demeanour.

He's looked far more lively at right back this season than he did at no 10 earlier or in his natural position for the whole of the 2nd half of last season. Not sure what the answer really is.

Marshall was played as no 10 by GB in pre season and early on in the league this season in a system of less long ball. He was less than useless and clearly wasn't comfortable playing there judging by his head shaking and general non moving demeanour.

He's looked far more lively at right back this season than he did at no 10 earlier or in his natural position for the whole of the 2nd half of last season. Not sure what the answer really is.

Probably has something to do with his mentality.

When you're a No. 10, you're the fulcrum of the side. Everything has to come through you. I don't think Marshall can handle that sort of pressure, which is why he's been able to reinvent himself as an attacking full-back.

Probably has something to do with his mentality.

When you're a No. 10, you're the fulcrum of the side. Everything has to come through you. I don't think Marshall can handle that sort of pressure, which is why he's been able to reinvent himself as an attacking full-back.

Yeah good point. He's very confidence orientated and seems to get angry at himself quickly. On the wing when he tries to beat a man a time or two but can't his head goes down. If he's put back there he needs to be like Ripley and just hit the by line and cross or cut in the box when he can. He isn't skilful enough to keep doing it with flair but that's what he tries and then gets fed up. Get him doing the basics over and over in that position and he'll be ok imo.

Having said that he does look like he enjoys the RB role although he'll always struggle against a good left winger but he's grown into the role. Somebody better than Bennett in front of him and it could be a strong area.

I'm sure Marshall will be disappointed with himself with missing the header, swirling wind and unfortunate, over the season he's not let us down.

More of a concern is our other full back Adam Henley. His positioning is just not good enough for a full back. In my opinion he gets drawn inwards towards the centre halves too much, perhaps trying to fill a gap of a ball being threaded through and possibly it's the centre halves instructing him to do this. However in my view his prime concern should be the winger/wide man and to stopping him getting the cross in, this means getting closer. MK Dons for their late equaliser and again last night for Wednesday's equaliser which he deflected in.

Slightly concerned about whether our coaches are addressing this. Sadly, as I do like lads coming through from the academy, at present he just doesn't look good enough, which when considering the bright start to the career he had is disappointing.

A loan out for Henley is the only way he'll ever cut the mustard and toughen up. Otherwise he's just going to be a poor back up player here which is no use to anyone. Lad needs to be put through the ringer in league 1 week in week out and properly learn his trade.

A loan out for Henley is the only way he'll ever cut the mustard and toughen up. Otherwise he's just going to be a poor back up player here which is no use to anyone. Lad needs to be put through the ringer in league 1 week in week out and properly learn his trade.

I don't think a loan would improve him at all. He hasn't even got the basics of touch, positional sense or movement. He continually allows wide men to get their crosses in and offers nothing going forward. I would offer him the possibility permanently of moving on a free transfer.

• Moderation Lead

That should have happened years back. Unfortunately for him, being thrown in the first team against United/Liverpool years back then injuries ruined his deveopment....

I don't think a loan would improve him at all. He hasn't even got the basics of touch, positional sense or movement. He continually allows wide men to get their crosses in and offers nothing going forward. I would offer him the possibility permanently of moving on a free transfer.

Yeah I'd replace him if possible but he's still young and I want to see him mentally and physically get stronger. There was a spell a while back where he came back into the team and did ok for a bit. He ended up in the Wales squad on the back of it I think.

I'll be honest I don't rate him but think he may be a late developer and we gave him another contract so we are stuck with him as a poor back up player unless he gets loaned or sold. At least his wages would be off the books if loaned out.

I do think he has some of the attributes for a good no 10, particularly at Championship level, but what he really should be playing is winger in a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3, with a starting position high up the pitch and license to cut in from the flank. That's where he offers the team goals and assists.

This is a serious answer.

Anyone in the 1st team squad would have a better chance of scoring, or looking like scoring, than Chris Brown, a player so lacking in Championship-level talent that the boos and jeers turned to laughter, and have now turned to (beyond) ironic cheers as the fans have given up on any hope of Lambert finding a plan B.

Again, I would play anyone ahead of Brown:

• Delfounso - no I don't think he's a Championship player.
  • Lowe - would score in 2 years.
  • Kilgallon - would have more composure in the box.
  • The best goalscorer from the U18 or U21 teams.
  • Duffy - Would hold the ball up just as well, but would also score 3 or 4 goals a season.

No, no, no, I'm not advocating playing any of the above but they would all be preferable to Brown.

I wouldn't have him on the bench. He is a figure of fun and is dragging our reputation even lower.

It is NOT poor Browny's fault.

Me, Stan Ternent, Brian Kidd, Paul Ince, my mum, Steve Kean or anyone else could have identified and purchased/loaned a better centre-forward than Browny in January.

Is that serious enough???????????

Why was Brown ever signed ?

Another strange transfer .....

I do think he has some of the attributes for a good no 10, particularly at Championship level, but what he really should be playing is winger in a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3, with a starting position high up the pitch and license to cut in from the flank. That's where he offers the team goals and assists.

Agreed - his best attacking performances for my money have come when he's played wide off the front man (4-5-1 / 4-3-3). Hopefully IF Lambert is backed this summer then we can recruit a decent set of full backs and push him up the pitch.

As usual, the defeat was completely the fault of the referee, nothing to do with the players or manager of BRFC. Getting sick of the 'blame the ref' press conf after every defeat recently. Why can't managers just have some respect for the fans and take some responsibility?

Watched the highlights on sky - really don't see the Conway challenge as being a red - yellow at most. Have seen far worse challenges this season not even get yellow cards - let alone red. The way the Wednesday player reacts - you would think he had a broken leg.

I'd agree DMTP. OK, away supporters were a long way from where it happened, but I thought at the time it was at most a careless challenge. It was the reaction of the Sheff player (and one or two of his mates who quickly arrived on the scene) that influenced the ref. A 'sturdy' challenge from Conway is about as rare as him scoring with a diving header......

Another, who has delighted me enough! He should come up and sit in the stands with you...

Archived