BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Championship 2016/17 Season

16 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Alex Neil set to be name Preston new manager

Imo, good move by them

Ya, he will fit well with them I think.

Although a lot of Irish players have gone over there from league of Ireland after being sold the project by Grayson and now he is gone. Could be a few unsettled players. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/30/2017 at 13:57, Bluebandit said:

It's make or break for Grayson I think at sunderland. I'm surprised he left the relative comfort at PNE. I guess things become stale after abit & you crave a fresh challenge. The potential is there with there support there's no doubt about that.

Apparently relations between him and Ridsdale were becoming slightly strained and he fancied a new challenge. Can't blame him as he'd been here a long time. Happy with Neil as his replacement and we're 750k better off too thanks to the compensation we've received.

8 minutes ago, north_ender said:

Apparently relations between him and Ridsdale were becoming slightly strained and he fancied a new challenge. Can't blame him as he'd been here a long time. Happy with Neil as his replacement and we're 750k better off too thanks to the compensation we've received.

Ok mate I hope it works out for you I've got a softspot for Preston decent club. Neil could be ok in the championship he was always on borrowed time at Norwich.

13 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, he will fit well with them I think.

Although a lot of Irish players have gone over there from league of Ireland after being sold the project by Grayson and now he is gone. Could be a few unsettled players. 

He's taken McGeady with him to Sunderland.

Just now, Bluebandit said:

Eh? I do we all (mostly) have 2nd teams it's a Lancashire side & it's not Burnley.

They are a tin-pot little club who have a massive chip on their shoulders about their bigger and better neighbours.  Now, have a word with yourself and get a 2nd team from Scotland like everybody else:)

6 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

They are a tin-pot little club who have a massive chip on their shoulders about their bigger and better neighbours.  Now, have a word with yourself and get a 2nd team from Scotland like everybody else:)

Sounds like you're the one with the chip :)

11 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

It's taken a long time to get the Deepdale faithful to develop that chip on their shoulders. For years and years they were so apathetic to blackburn; some even cheered your lot on. Thankfully, the internet boom allowed us message bringers to reach more people and spread the word about the evil from the east, that wanted to capture our children, and taint half of their pure whites with blue. 

You are, nah, were, the pied piper of football. Good always prevails in the end, which is evident now.

Not a bad appointment by the tinpots really, could go either way though and the second half of last season for them under Grayson will be hard to better probably unless they get some investment.

Shame we are occupying their rightful spot in league 1 but normal order will be resumed once Venkys have been ridded and Hemmings has passed tinpots onto some other 'investor'.

Still at least they might get over 10k home fans on for a game or two under the new manager :lol:

14 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Shame we are occupying their rightful spot in league 1

It's not, it's really really not. Fantastic for football I'd say: reap what you sow kind of thing; but clearly the madness you started is continuing. 

The sooner the backside falls out of football and Sky go 'pop!' the better. 

3 minutes ago, TAFKAP said:

It's not, it's really really not. Fantastic for football I'd say: reap what you sow kind of thing; but clearly the madness you started is continuing. 

The greed of the old 'big 6' in leaving the Football League and getting into bed with Sky 'started the madness', not a Rovers fan getting his club to the top.

You need to seperate your 25 year grudge from the actual facts.

• Backroom

Didn't United spend more than us in our title winning season anyway? Jack did what was necessary to get us to the top, but to say he started the chain of events we're seeing now is laughable. Sky and the rest of the big clubs never wanted Rovers to succeed as we weren't fashionable in the slightest.

1 hour ago, TAFKAP said:

Nah mate we just threw ourselves in the middle of it and then did a bit of queue jumping. Don't forget Sir Jack Hayward at Wolves and the fella at Derby all trying same thing at same time. Then Man U or Arsenal would likely have paid the same fee we paid for Shearer at the time and maybe more in wages.

Agree on the rest though.

It's not the buying of success that bothered us: damn, we'd have welcomed a mega rich fan with an open cheque book too, but it's undeniable you were complicit and an example setter....£££ = trophies. Harder to do now though, as there's at least half a dozen clubs  willing to throw a fortune at it.

Leicester embarrassed them last year, and proved a long-shot can prevail, but I bet it's half a century before we have another one coming in.

Back on topic......I think Preston will have a good season in division 2, and I hope we can return to the first division this season, but there's a lot of big clubs in this division to compete against.

5 minutes ago, TAFKAP said:

It's not the buying of success that bothered us: damn, we'd have welcomed a mega rich fan with an open cheque book too, but it's undeniable you were complicit and an example setter....£££ = trophies. Harder to do now though, as there's at least half a dozen clubs  willing to throw a fortune at it.

Leicester embarrassed them last year, and proved a long-shot can prevail, but I bet it's half a century before we have another one coming in.

Back on topic......I think Preston will have a good season in division 2, and I hope we can return to the first division this season, but there's a lot of big clubs in this division to compete against.

As someone else rightly pointed out, Rovers spent considerably less than Man United during the 18 month period when we were the best team in England.

The example had already been long set by Liverpool, Arsenal. Man Yoo able to hoover up any other clubs talent with their cheque books whenever they felt like it with virtually zero opposition that's quite simply why prices never escalated so quickly.

Add the prospect of SKY millions and few started throwing their weight about and up went the fees, salaries. Would have happened just the same without Rovers like I said Jack just jumped the gun a bit but for £££ = trophies just look at the aforementioned clubs. If football was on such parity back then why didn't a host of different clubs win the league ?

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

As someone else rightly pointed out, Rovers spent considerably less than Man United during the 18 month period when we were the best team in England.

I didn't know that; I doubt that; I contest that; I ask for a source. I'm prepared to eat pie if wrong. 

Regardless though, the difference between you and Manchester that year was a bad miss by Andy Cole in the dying minutes of the last game of the season. I've hated him ever since for that. 

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

like I said Jack just jumped the gun a bit but for £££ = trophies just look at the aforementioned clubs. If football was on such parity back then why didn't a host of different clubs win the league ?

They did: of course you had a period of dominance by arguably the biggest club in England with Liverpool.

Four different clubs won the league in the six previous seasons before the name change. 

11 minutes ago, TAFKAP said:

I didn't know that; I doubt that; I contest that; I ask for a source. I'm prepared to eat pie if wrong. 

Regardless though, the difference between you and Manchester that year was a bad miss by Andy Cole in the dying minutes of the last game of the season. I've hated him ever since for that. 

Enjoy your pie https://www.theguardian.com/football/when-saturday-comes-blog/2013/oct/23/blackburn-premier-league-title-earned-1995

Archived