BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Worst Player We've Ever Had On Loan?

Amo

After looking back on some of the finest players to grace Rovers down the years, let's scrape the bottom of the barrel for the worst.

In recent memory there's Anthony Modeste. Modeste by name, Modeste by nature, he looked completely out of his depth in his short spell at the club but has since rebuilt his career into one of the hottest strikers on the continent. In fairness, it's difficult to judge a lot of players from that tumultuous era.

After looking back on some of the finest players to grace Rovers down the years, let's scrape the bottom of the barrel for the worst.

In recent memory there's Anthony Modeste. Modeste by name, Modeste by nature, he looked completely out of his depth in his short spell at the club but has since rebuilt his career into one of the hottest strikers on the continent. In fairness, it's difficult to judge a lot of players from that tumultuous era.

Modeste like Kevin Davies didn't look like he could trap a bag of cement.

There's no doubt that over the years Agents have taken the p1ss out of Rovers poor management and made hay while the sun shines.

I know he fluffed a couple of easy chances, but in his first game v Newcastle I thought Modeste's general play was pretty good, won a penalty as well. Granted he got worse after that, but he was after all playing under he who shall not be named.

Others:

Varney
Feeney
Paul Taylor (what a dire list this is turning into....)

Cameron Stewart
DJ Campbell

Spearing

Bryan Dabo (just never played, probably would have been alright, got himself a move to St. Etienne in summer)

Tom Lawrence (not as bad as the others but had minimal impact 90% of games)

Feeney !

So bad first time they thought It was a fluke so went back for another look.

Seriously though we aren't in the market for good players so it's no surprise but when we were it would have to be Richard Witscheige or whatever his name was. Odd signing that and never mind his comments I just couldn't see what he could bring to any team ?

Rubbish with a capital R.

Not far behind would be Johan Vogel.

Vogel wasn't actually a loan signing. He did well initially, played a blinder against Man. Utd if I recall. Then neither Ince or Big Sam fancied him and he rotted in the reserves until his contract was torn up.

Vogel wasn't actually a loan signing. He did well initially, played a blinder against Man. Utd if I recall. Then neither Ince or Big Sam fancied him and he rotted in the reserves until his contract was torn up.

Ah I thought he was just a loan seeing as he disappeared without trace. Thought he was crap personally but he was trying to fill Savages boots so it wasn't going to happen. Read somewhere that he wasn't popular at Rovers amongst the players and thought he was something special.

Remember Sav booting him all over the pitch and just generally taking the whizz when he came back playing for Derby. There was no love lost there for sure.

I can't understand what the situation is with loanees:

When we were apparently in the ascendency, we had to pay the majority of loanees wages before they went out on loan? now there's apparently a fee involved with the loaning club paying the majority, what changed and why? (there's no doubt it's down to agents' cut!). Agents are the absolute scourge of the game in England but too many snouts in the collective trough.

I can't understand what the situation is with loanees:

When we were apparently in the ascendency, we had to pay the majority of loanees wages before they went out on loan? now there's apparently a fee involved with the loaning club paying the majority, what changed and why? (there's no doubt it's down to agents' cut!). Agents are the absolute scourge of the game in England but too many snouts in the collective trough.

Personally I think 3rd party ownership or stakes in players is alive and well in the game but is very well disguised. Masses of loans everywhere is the new way to make money from players a lot of who will never be worth anything other than free transferring. Particularly outside top flight as how else do the agents make money on lesser players ?

Keep moving them about on frees of course but loans will supplement that and it's probably the latest goldmine.

Personally I think 3rd party ownership or stakes in players is alive and well in the game but is very well disguised. Masses of loans everywhere is the new way to make money from players a lot of who will never be worth anything other than free transferring. Particularly outside top flight as how else do the agents make money on lesser players ?

Keep moving them about on frees of course but loans will supplement that and it's probably the latest goldmine.

Trading Places: doesn't matter whether its good or bad, buy or sell, we still get our percentage. Keep 'em moving as often as possible.

Trading Places: doesn't matter whether its good or bad, buy or sell, we still get our percentage. Keep 'em moving as often as possible.

The art of good business is being a good middle man or so they say. Football is now awash with middlemen although I doubt many are much good :(

Paul McKinnon.

I think we actually paid a fee for him! Good player for Sutton Utd but way out of his depth at Ewood. Less effective than a lot of the failures on this thread though. As far as who was the worst loan signing it would probably be someone whose appearances were so few or who never even made the bench that we can't even remember them.

I agree with all of the above apart from barrow. I thought he didn't get much of a chance and wen he did looked quite a handful. Also currently doing well in a poor Swansea side. Feeney the worst for me just above varney.

I think 1arC means Miles Anderson is now playing for Barrow.

Loan Signings up to 2014

ALCOCK Terry D 76-77 On loan from Blackpool 3 1

ANDRESEN Martin M O3-04 On loan from Stabaek (Norway) 11 0

ARCHIBALD Steve F 87-88 On loan from Barcelona (Spain) 20 6

ARDILES Ossie M 87-88 On loan from Tottenham Hotspur 5 0

ARNOTT Kevin (1st spell) M 81-82 On loan from Sunderland 17 2

ARNOTT Kevin (2nd spell) M 82-83 On loan from Sheffield United 12 1

BABBEL Markus FB 03-O4 On loan from Liverpool 25 3

BAGGIO Dino M 03-O4 On loan from Lazio (Italy) 9 1

BARTON David CD 82-83 On loan from Newcastle United 8 1

BEARDSMORE Russell M 91-92 On loan from Manchester United 2 0

BECKFORD Jason W 90-91 On loan from Manchester City 4 0

BEGLIN Jim FB 90-91 On loan from Leeds United 6 0

BENTLEY David (2nd spell) M 12-I3 On loan from Tottenham Hotspur 5 0

BERKOVIC Eyal M 00-01 On loan from Celtic 11 2

BOTHROYD Jay F O4-05 On loan from Perugia (Italy) 11 1

BYRNE David W 88-89 On loan from Millwall 4 0

CAMPBELL DJ (1st spell) F 12-I3 On loan from Queens Park Rangers 7 0

DI SANTO Franco F O9-10 On loan from Chelsea 22 1

DIAWARA Kaba F 00-01 On loan from Paris St. Germain (France) 5 0

DIOUF Mame Biram F IO-11 On loan from Manchester United 26 3

DOWNES Steve F 75-76 On loan from Halifax Town 6 0

FEAR Keith F 77-78 On loan from Bristol City 5 2

FEENEY Liam M 13-14 On loan from Millwall 6 0

GALLACHER Bernard FB 90-91 On loan from Aston Villa 4 0

GREGORY David F 78-79 On loan from Stoke City 5 3

GREW Mark G 90-91 On loan from Port Vale 13 0

HINDSON Gordon W 75-76 On loan from Luton Town 10 0

HUTT Geoff FB 75-76 On loan from Huddersfield Town 10 1

JONES David M 12-I3 On loan from Wigan Athletic 12 2

JONES Jermaine M IO-11 On loan from Schalke 04 (Germany) 15 0

KANE Todd (1st spell) FB 12-I3 On loan from Chelsea 14 0

KANE Todd (2nd spell) FB 13-14 On loan from Chelsea 27 2

KASIM-RICHARDS Colin F 12-I3 On loan from Galatasaray (Turkey) 28 3

KEANE Michael D 13-14 On loan from Manchester United 13 3

MARCOLIN Dario M 98-99 On loan from Lazio (Italy) 10 1

MIMMS Bobby (1st spell) G 86-87 On loan from Everton 6 0

MODESTE Anthony F 11-I2 On loan from Bordeaux (France) 9 0

NONDA Shabani F O6-07 On loan from Roma (Italy) 26 7

REKIK Karim D 12-I3 On loan from Manchester City 5 0

SANDOMIERSKI Grzegorz G 12-I3 On loan from Racing Genk (Belgium) 8 0

SANTA CRUZ Roque (2nd spell) F IO-11 On loan from Manchester City 9 0

SHANAHAN Terry F 71-72 On loan from Ipswich Town 6 2

SILVESTER Peter F 76-77 On loan from Southend United 5 1

SIMPSON Danny FB O8-09 On loan from Manchester United 12 0

SINAMA-PONGOLLE Florent F O5-06 On loan from Liverpool 10 1

STEWART Cameron M 12-I3 On loan from Hull City 7 0

THORLEY Dennis D 79-80 On loan from Stoke City 4 0

VILLANUEVA Carlos F O8-09 On loan from Audax Italiano (Chile) 13 0

WITSCHGE Richard M 94-95 On loan from Bordeaux (France) 4 0

YORDI (Yorge Gonzalez) F O1-02 On loan from Real Zaragoza 8 2

I can't remember a lot of the early ones, David gregory I remember because he scored a few and Jason Beckford I remember for the amount of timber he was carrying.

Archived