BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Uddersfield Away

In the summer of 2010 we went to Huddersfield for a pre-season friendly.

At the time we were an established Premier League club that had just finished 10th the previous season, Huddersfield had just finished 6th in League One and lost out in the play-offs. 40 places difference between the two clubs in the pyramid.

Now as 2016 draws to a close Huddersfield are strong favourites to give us a good hiding, sit entrenched in the Championship top 6, playing some quality football, whilst we hurtle towards League One. Huddersfield have been getting crowds of 20,000+ this season and have a manager who has recently resisted the Bundesliga to stay with them.

And the most frustrating part is that none of it can be blamed on money, club size, infrastructure and all the rest of excuses that Cheston tries to hoodwink us with.

Up until this summer we had bigger gates than Huddersfield, a wage bill they could only dream of, a better stadium and training ground, a better squad, yet it has counted for nothing.

Huddersfield have had one thing more important than the millions we've squandered on wages. A chairman who knows what he is doing.

Really good summary there jh

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the summer of 2010 we went to Huddersfield for a pre-season friendly.

At the time we were an established Premier League club that had just finished 10th the previous season, Huddersfield had just finished 6th in League One and lost out in the play-offs. 40 places difference between the two clubs in the pyramid.

Now as 2016 draws to a close Huddersfield are strong favourites to give us a good hiding, sit entrenched in the Championship top 6, playing some quality football, whilst we hurtle towards League One. Huddersfield have been getting crowds of 20,000+ this season and have a manager who has recently resisted the Bundesliga to stay with them.

And the most frustrating part is that none of it can be blamed on money, club size, infrastructure and all the rest of excuses that Cheston tries to hoodwink us with.

Up until this summer we had bigger gates than Huddersfield, a wage bill they could only dream of, a better stadium and training ground, a better squad, yet it has counted for nothing.

Huddersfield have had one thing more important than the millions we've squandered on wages. A chairman who knows what he is doing.

And he cares, maybe not the money of some but he has ambition and must be one of the best most open chairmen in this league.

I can still remember Huddersfield in the seventies being a far better team and club than we where

The early 70s , when Worthington was there !

Remember seeing them clinch promotion at Ewood (think it was 1970) where they won in a canter in front of a huge following. Team included names like Trevor Cherry, Frank Worthington and Jimmy Nicholson.

Their first team squad also included two players who were later to play for Rovers (full back Geoff Hutt and winger Bobby Hoy) - not sure they played at Ewood that day.

I can still remember Huddersfield in the seventies being a far better team and club than we where

They were playing at a higher level than us briefly in that period I think. Normally they'd be around us. We managed to steal a few players off them during that period. Brian Hill, one of the list of non tackling left wingers we've had. The great John Coddington of the Michael Holding penalty taking run up fame. Alan Gilliver came slightly earlier.

A guy I played against lots of times , Les Chapman, played for them in that era.

Remember seeing them clinch promotion at Ewood (think it was 1970) where they won in a canter in front of a huge following. Team included names like Trevor Cherry, Frank Worthington and Jimmy Nicholson.

Their first team squad also included two players who were later to play for Rovers (full back Geoff Hutt and winger Bobby Hoy) - not sure they played at Ewood that day.

I seem to remember Dick Krzywicki, but I am not sure if it was from that promotion game.

only a couple of years ago we sold the entire end out....these keaners in power rooms of ewood hold no shame and embarassement ...cheston your a turd , coar you are parasite and pasha you are stealing a wage...rot in hell you scummy poison ridden tossers

Only about 450 sold to Rovers for this so far according to the Huddersfield forum and it's only £20 per adult ticket. Sad state of affairs even allowing for the early KO, still Coyle will be quite relieved.

Someone probably read I was thinking of going.

Anyone interested in a lift from Chorley / Wheelton area?

You can always tell it's a fib when they feel the need to go into fine detail as Mr Coyle so often does :lol:

He might play in the Newcastle game though shop window and all that. Hope his transfer doesn't drag out too long otherwise spin doctor will have to go through the whole catalogue.

The next stage in the Marshall out project is to massively inflate the 'fee' we're getting for him in January.

I've seen a report today saying that Wolves are going to offer £1.5 million for him. Yeah right. Pull the other one.

All part of the stripping bare process. Much easier to justify selling a first teamer to a relegation rival in January if you can con people into believing we're getting good money for him. I can hear people now saying what a good deal it was to let him go for £1.5 million and what good money it is for a player who isn't interested and out of contract in 6 months.

No way on this earth is anyone paying £1.5 million for him.

I suspect the truth is we might get £150,000 or so and then save another £200,000 or so on his salary for the next six months. Cheston and Pasha will be as happy as larry. Unfortunately for us its another body down in a stretched squad short on quality in the midst of a relegation scrap. But I suppose such concerns are only relevant if you've any interest in the footballing performance of the club.

Don't forget whoever gets a % of another outgoing fee, they'll be happy again.

Cold shivers ran today when i read Coyles waffle about Mahonney and other young players they want to tie to new contracts. Sounded just like the spiel he trotted out about Marshall for the past 5 months....

The next stage in the Marshall out project is to massively inflate the 'fee' we're getting for him in January.

I've seen a report today saying that Wolves are going to offer £1.5 million for him. Yeah right. Pull the other one.

All part of the stripping bare process. Much easier to justify selling a first teamer to a relegation rival in January if you can con people into believing we're getting good money for him. I can hear people now saying what a good deal it was to let him go for £1.5 million and what good money it is for a player who isn't interested and out of contract in 6 months.

I suspect the truth is we might get £150,000 or so and then save another £200,000 or so on his salary for the next six months. Cheston and Pasha will be as happy as larry. Unfortunately for us its another body down in a stretched squad short on quality in the midst of a relegation scrap. But I suppose such concerns are only relevant if you've any interest in the footballing performance of the club.

Don't forget the 'WE did well to get x for him' part too. :wacko:

It doesn't matter what the club gets for him, we won't see a penny of it spent on new players.

They're not relegation rivals anymore. The guy we let slip out of our fingers seems to be having the required effect at Wolves.

Is Scot Wharton available ?

Have Rovers signed a new keeper for this game ?

Have Rovers sacked the hopeless Scot that is Owen Coyle yet ?

Or is Coyle about to take the pish out of Rovers fans again ?

Will the young Rovers fans be hunting for Coyles head !

Will be at the game but not expecting anything other than a real trouncing by a resurgent Huddersfield side. Last time I thought we would get thrashed but went to the game regardless, we won at St James Park.

I have to say that Rovers are really testing the fans' loyalty, but full credit to those who attend at home and away. Let's hope that 2017 brings something positive for everyone who really cares about the Club.

Anyway please can everyone make sure they bring a copy of the Agenda to the John Smiths Stadium

You can always tell it's a fib when they feel the need to go into fine detail as Mr Coyle so often does :lol:

He had a groin strain, then he was ill. So they got him in for 8.00 in the morning. I bet he was buzzing, couldn't wait to get get going.

Utter bollards. They'll take 750k. It'll be undisclosed.

Archived