BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mark Venus Joins as assistant to Mowbray

Just now, Dunnfc said:

So we still can't get a proper goalie coach in.... enough said.

Shambles, i geniniley cba anymore. 

Look how much Raya and Fisher have come on under Benson as GK coach for under 23's and first team last season.

Raya look a very different keeper and Fisher by reports of people who see the under 23's more regularly than me have said Fisher has improved a lot last season

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dunnfc said:

Don't see any positives in bringing this guy in tbh.

Proven failure elsewhere, spent a majority of his career side by side watching teams slide with TM whom seemed to do ok/better without him.

Another wage, would prefer someone who's a little more of a winner personally.

It's a guy he trusts so there's that. The set up at Rovers (facilities/infrsstructure) may be geared up for them to do better than elsewhere.

If we are looking for someone who is "a little more of a winner" then we probably need to upgrade from TM.

Ain't happening for the foreseeable...

It seems to me that Venkys throw their whole trust behind someone or some group, then feel let down so then give their complete trust to someone else, Currently its Mowbray and perhaps we should be glad about that, because it could certainly be someone worse.

However, as a long-term way to run a business in a competitive market it seems destined to continue to fail. Is Mowbray that good that he can resurrect the club virtually on his own? I wish him luck but fear he isn't. Its the very definition of naivety.

Bring on the next Messiah.....

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

It seems to me that Venkys throw their whole trust behind someone or some group, then feel let down so then give their complete trust to someone else, Currently its Mowbray and perhaps we should be glad about that, because it could certainly be someone worse.

However, as a long-term way to run a business in a competitive market it seems destined to continue to fail. Is Mowbray that good that he can resurrect the club virtually on his own? I wish him luck but fear he isn't. Its the very definition of naivety.

Bring on the next Messiah.....

Yep, first it was the Kean/Anderson axis who Venkys threw their weight behind, to the extent that Allardyce, Williams, Finn, our reputation, finances and Premier League status went down the drain.

Then they threw their weight behind Shebby once they realised Kean had taken them for fools. Shebby then wreaked havoc for another year.

Then they threw their weight behind Bowyer who was able to do a job for a couple of years until they got bored of backing him and fancied something different.

Then the mysterious Pasha was given free reign for a while and allowed to fire Bowyer and bring in Lambert/Coyle.

Then they gave Senior control for a few months and he got rid of Coyle and brought in Mowbray.

Now Mowbray is the latest figurehead. It might work, it more likely won't, but 12 months from now I'd bet everything I own that there's someone else here to 'do a job' whilst Venkys continue to lurk in the shadows throwing their 'weight' behind someone whilst the structure and setup remains completely inadequate.

Venus is 'assistant manager' according to articles on Rovers website and in the LT

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/mark-venus-3729112.aspx

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15329283.Mark_Venus_relishing_his_Rovers_role/?ref=mac

However Rovers 'Who's Who' not yet up to speed

http://www.rovers.co.uk/club/whoswho/

It is little wonder that the Fans are confused.

A wee in a brewery comes to mind.

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Yep, first it was the Kean/Anderson axis who Venkys threw their weight behind, to the extent that Allardyce, Williams, Finn, our reputation, finances and Premier League status went down the drain.

Then they threw their weight behind Shebby once they realised Kean had taken them for fools. Shebby then wreaked havoc for another year.

Then they threw their weight behind Bowyer who was able to do a job for a couple of years until they got bored of backing him and fancied something different.

Then the mysterious Pasha was given free reign for a while and allowed to fire Bowyer and bring in Lambert/Coyle.

Then they gave Senior control for a few months and he got rid of Coyle and brought in Mowbray.

Now Mowbray is the latest figurehead. It might work, it more likely won't, but 12 months from now I'd bet everything I own that there's someone else here to 'do a job' whilst Venkys continue to lurk in the shadows throwing their 'weight' behind someone whilst the structure and setup remains completely inadequate.

You will win your wager.

My money is currently on Mowbray to be gone by October at the latest.

By then the effects of no money, poor squad, poor results, no communications from the Rats and TM goes walkabout.

Read a few comments that said Mowbray was no better than Coyle, whilst I thought this to be rubbish I looked at the stats to see if there was anything in this, there wasn't.

League games played was 31 vs 15

GAME STATS

Coyle - W 7(23%), D 8(26%), L 16(52%) - Points 29 (0.9 per game)

Mowbray - W 5(33%), D 7(47%), L 3(20%) - Points 22 (1.5 per game)

Basically, if Mowbray had performed at the same ratio as Coyle we would have finished 9 points worse off, if Coyle had performed as Mowbray did we would have gained an additional 18 points

NET GOALS PER GAME

Coyle (0.4) vs +0.1 Mowbray

So not only did we generate more points per game we also had a net positive goal position compared to a negative one under Coyle.

Now make your own mind up as to whether you believe we were no better under Mowbray, I personally think there was a noticeable positive difference, but that is just my opinion, and unfortunately it wasn't enough to stop the drop.

I should add, to keep this on thread, I believe it is a positive that he gets his own team in like Venus.

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Venus is 'assistant manager' according to articles on Rovers website and in the LT

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/mark-venus-3729112.aspx

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15329283.Mark_Venus_relishing_his_Rovers_role/?ref=mac

However Rovers 'Who's Who' not yet up to speed

http://www.rovers.co.uk/club/whoswho/

It is little wonder that the Fans are confused.

A wee in a brewery comes to mind.

It says new assistant manager Mark Venus and then head coach Tony Mowbray in the 1st article

Also pleased that Benson is 1st team gk coach. Did well with Raya and Fisher. He worked his way up.through the ranks

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

It says new assistant manager Mark Venus and then head coach Tony Mowbray in the 1st article

Also pleased that Benson is 1st team gk coach. Did well with Raya and Fisher. He worked his way up.through the ranks

Just adds to the confusion. It can however easily be explained by the obvious, absolutely no one at Rovers knows what the other person does or in some cases what their name is.

Tbh I care less about this with each passing day. Rovers are a shambles.

Apparently that Benson guy wanted Raya in for Steele way before it actually happened, he must know more than a lot on here...

Just now, RV Blue said:

Apparently that Benson guy wanted Raya in for Steele way before it actually happened, he must know more than a lot on here...

My memory recollection is that the vast majority 'on here' wanted Steele out from quite a long while ago.

No easy points scored here.

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The people writing the articles don't know. The people at Ewood Park don't know. I bet Mowbray and Venus don't know, and I doubt whether their bosses in India know or care what their job title is.

Senior called Mowbray 'head coach' in February and that is probably his job title on his contract. However in practice Mowbray is manager and in the absence of any structure whatsoever beyond the coaching staff Mowbray is very much manager as he is the only one with any power or decision making ability on the football side of the club. He will be doing more managing this summer than at any point in his career to date. The opposite of a head coach who mainly concerns himself with coaching the players at his disposal, Mowbray is going to be dictating transfer strategy/targets, handling the media and conversing with the owners in the absence of any communication with the others.

Lets not ask Mike Cheston about it (if anyone can find him following his disappearing act post-Brentford) as he doesn't even know the names/job titles of people he employs and takes orders off.

Just now, JHRover said:

The people writing the articles don't know. The people at Ewood Park don't know. I bet Mowbray and Venus don't know, and I doubt whether their bosses in India know or care what their job title is.

Senior called Mowbray 'head coach' in February and that is probably his job title on his contract. However in practice Mowbray is manager and in the absence of any structure whatsoever beyond the coaching staff Mowbray is very much manager as he is the only one with any power or decision making ability on the football side of the club. He will be doing more managing this summer than at any point in his career to date. The opposite of a head coach who mainly concerns himself with coaching the players at his disposal, Mowbray is going to be dictating transfer strategy/targets, handling the media and conversing with the owners in the absence of any communication with the others.

Lets not ask Mike Cheston about it (if anyone can find him following his disappearing act post-Brentford) as he doesn't even know the names/job titles of people he employs and takes orders off.

I think him being 'head coach' was more to do with Senior's position than Mowbray's. Now that his boss has gone and hasn't been replaced Mowbray is the main footballing man at the club. That makes him de facto manager anyway. The fact he has brought in his man and called him assistant manager only underlines that point. Plus when 'the club' put out their desperate piece when Mowbray was considering his future they referred to him as manager.

I agree though, the Raos won't care what his badge says (as long as it doesn't say chairman), only his salary.

22 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

My memory recollection is that the vast majority 'on here' wanted Steele out from quite a long while ago.

Exactly. It was hardly rocket science Steele has been average at best since he arrived and constantly been a weak link especially after Keeley left. A lot have wanted an decent experienced no 1 for years me included but it's time now for Raya to start as number 1 and prove himself. If he can't do it in this league there's no hope but as Steele before him they've got to give them a decent defence to work behind, constant down grading and rotating centre halves puts everyone on the back foot.

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Haha no chance, a lot said 'don't chuck Raya in at the deep end!!!!' Even though it was literally impossible for him to be worse than Steele. If Raya was put in a few games earlier, we'd have stayed up, simple as.

Just now, RV Blue said:

Haha no chance, a lot said 'don't chuck Raya in at the deep end!!!!' Even though it was literally impossible for him to be worse than Steele. If Raya was put in a few games earlier, we'd have stayed up, simple as.

I don't think us staying up was that simple! 

We've got a 'Head Coach' appointed by a Director of Football who resigned a month ago, hasn't yet been replaced and seemingly won't ever be replaced.

We've now got a 'Head Coach' who is actually manager in every sense of the word, apparently now trusted by the owners having met them once to oversee every aspect of the operation, spend their money and get the club promoted.

We've just appointed an 'Assistant Manager' despite already having an assistant manager called David Lowe who to public knowledge remains in that position (no statement from the club to suggest otherwise).

We've therefore officially got two assistant managers assisting a head coach. How does that work? We've no manager but 2 assistant managers and a head coach but no assistant head coach.

My question to Rovers twitter

Is Mowbray manager or Head coach? Is Venus assistant head coach or assistant Manager? What are Lowe and Dunn roles now?

Rovers twitter account reply to me

Tony Mowbray - Head Coach. Mark Venus - Assistant Manager. An announcement regarding the rest of the backroom team to be made in due course.

Is Mowbray manager or Head coach? Is Venus assistant head coach or assistant Manager? What are Lowe and Dunn roles now?

Tony Mowbray - Head Coach. Mark Venus - Assistant Manager. An announcement regarding the rest of the backroom team to be made in due course.

He's the assistant manager to no manager? Couldn't make it up.

39 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think us staying up was that simple! 

1 point more and we'd have stayed up. Raya would have easily won us 1 point if he was in a few games earlier (where Steele made countless cockups).

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think you will all find that once (whenever that is) there is an official announcement if will no doubt say TM  MANAGER,  I dont see what the issue is,  manager, head coach whatever he runs the team.

Just now, EgyptianPete said:

I think you will all find that once (whenever that is) there is an official announcement if will no doubt say TM  MANAGER,  I dont see what the issue is,  manager, head coach whatever he runs the team.

I'm not the one going on about it. 

I'm happy that Mowbray stays here

Doesn't really matter what he's called at Rovers under Venkys because it won't be the same working system as other clubs anyway that's why we are in such a mess. We've no DOF so if he's head coach who's foisting players on him and moving others out ?  Mostly agents probably so he's better off being manager but then again who's he answer to and does he actually get final says on who comes and goes ?

Doubt it just look what ended up happening under GB.

Archived