BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reforming the Rules of Football

Football's lawmaking body the International Football Association Board (Ifab) has released their document 'Play Fair' detailing wideranging proposals to change the face of football for ever.

The main proposal is to scrap 45-minute halves and instead, there could be two periods of 30 minutes with the clock stopped whenever the ball goes out of play.

Research has shown that matches only see about 60 minutes of "effective playing time" out of 90.

There are many other changes proposed and more details and a download of the 'Play Fair' document available here.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/40311889

Just when I had got ok with playing the ball backwards from a kick-off they want 2 halves of inderterminate length!!!

How will Sky schedule that?

I quite like the change to a penalty kick where is score or miss and no follow ups. Would stop enroachment and all the nonsense on the edge of the box when the kicl is taken.

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

The TV companies have so much power these days and that's only going to continue to grow. I can't see how this could happen based on that fact alone.  Not sure I particularly like that idea anyway

How could the Ref monitor all the stoppages. He would be a full time clockwatcher. Such intricate timekeeping could only be made from off field.

The end of 'Fergie Time'?

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Until I saw the BBC link, I genuinely thought this was satire....

Must admit I checked the date thinking April had come around quickly.

It will be like American Football soon.  A 90 minute game that lasts for hours with all decisions made off field. And totally non contact coming.

Actually that will suit Sky and their ad revenues quite nicely.

Stupid ideas. Agree replays need to be trialed. I would also make it possible for punishments for things like diving can be given out after the games if a ref is fooled. Players may think twice if they get a games ban 1st offence, 2 games second offence etc.

Just now, rigger said:

Does that mean entry prices will come down, as the games are shorter?

The games would last for much longer.

The idea is that the ball is actually in play for 30 minutes each half.

A game could last an hour for each half of a PL game with ball out of play, fouls, lining up free kicks, injuries, cards etc etc... and they think a Ref can do all that whilst missing obvious handballs, fouls and offsides.

They are 'avin a larf.

Been wanting stiff retroactive punishments for cheats for sometime now, not just diving, faking injury for one.  Hate this side of the game.  Video replays, I think so, in some form.  Goals/ no goals, Close offside and foul play, penalties and such.  Maybe we could do it a bit like here where the opponent can challenge a decision, if it's good then fine but if the ref's decision stands the challenging team lose a sub or something like that. It would take away something from the game, discussion points would be killed.  Also the refs won't be able to favour the big boys.

Other than that, stop messing.  The backpass rule was a great change, advantage to attackers in clise offsides was a great idea but seems to have not really materialized.  Perhaps offsides needs to be tweaked to there must be clear daylight between the attacker and last defender.  I know it's not easy to enforce but I hate seeing perfectly timed runs and passes given offside because the attackers big toe is in front of the defender.  Offsides have to stay just need a better advantage for the attack.

On 2017-6-18 at 14:15, JacknOry said:

Stupid ideas. Agree replays need to be trialed. I would also make it possible for punishments for things like diving can be given out after the games if a ref is fooled. Players may think twice if they get a games ban 1st offence, 2 games second offence etc.

You've got to remember that these laws of the game changes will have be applied to a Sunday morning amateur game.

Archived