BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We bid for the Peterborough bloke weeks and weeks ago before subsequently bringing in Chapman/Antonsson etc. I think its fair to assume whatever money was allocated for him has since been spent elsewhere.

Besides, if he's choosing to move to Lincoln over Blackburn Rovers you have to ask yourself just how serious our interest was or how much money we were really offering.

Mowbray can 'make bids' until the cows come home. Until players are signed and sealed it means nothing. Talk is cheap.

Plenty signed and sealed this summer, would you agree? 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, islander200 said:

To be fair he stated that he moved to Lincoln for family reasons.Only last week Mowbray said he had bids in for a player that had been turned down.Is it just your opinion based on past experience under Venky's reign that we can't bring anymore people in until we sell or have you heard something from inside the club?Not that I take anything from Nixon as gospel but he reckons incomings ain't dependant on outgoings.If you are itk fair enough but if it is just your opinion you wrote your post like it's a fact

As always its my opinion unless I attach reference to something I've seen/heard from someone else.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Plenty signed and sealed this summer, would you agree? 

No, I wouldn't. 'Plenty' suggests enough or more than enough, which I don't think is the case. We've let circa 15 depart and only brought in about 8-9 so regardless of the standard of incomings/departures there is a substantial gap in numbers.

I think we've recruited the bare minimum or arguably not enough. We've no cover at LB or CB (with 1 currently out injured and the other two injury prone) and we're at the bare bones stage up front regardless of whether Graham stays or not. One lengthy injury/loss of form and we've no options to pick from.

A quick totting up of the numbers. Dack rumoured £750k, Samuel £200-250k, Gladwin £100k. Maybe a million quid. Mahoney tribunal fee on its way along with Steele rumoured £500k and this warchest they've provided over the summer amounts to buying a house down Ossy.

Just now, JHRover said:

As always its my opinion unless I attach reference to something I've seen/heard from someone else.

I hope we can bring players in as we need a centre half.We can't go till January with what we have at the back.All our centre half's are injury prone and imo Ward is woeful 

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Besides, if he's choosing to move to Lincoln over Blackburn Rovers you have to ask yourself just how serious our interest was or how much money we were really offering.

Or how low our status is these days?

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray can 'make bids' until the cows come home. Until players are signed and sealed it means nothing. Talk is cheap.

Fair enough, but does that quell the rumours about players moving on? Seems an accepted fact that we'd lose our best players this window and not replace, not just by yourself! 

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

It seems to be Venky policy to buy early on and then recoup any expenditure late on in the window. This has been a pattern the past few years. I can't believe they will walk out of this transfer window not in profit.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/15107733.Blackburn_Rovers_cut_losses___but_club_debts_still_stand_at_more_than___106m/

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, Biz said:

Fair enough, but does that quell the rumours about players moving on? Seems an accepted fact that we'd lose our best players this window and not replace, not just by yourself! 

Because it seems to happen every year mate, people are just conditioned to accepting that it happens......

Obviously, it should go without saying that I hope that doesn't happen, but I always expect the worst with Venky's.

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

I've been saying all summer we'll lose Lenihan and I'll stick with that prediction.

I also thought we'd lose Mulgrew, seems unlikely but not impossible.

If rumours are to be believed the only concrete interest in Mulgrew came from Sheffield Wednesday who were offering six figure sums for him rather than the millions.

From Venkys point of view that level of money probably isn't enough to make them get out of bed, likewise when it comes to spending it the other way on Dack/Samuel etc.

They deal in the millions, so if a club offers £2,3,4,5 million for one of our 'star' players e.g. Lenihan then they'll sit up and take notice. Likewise we'll probably never see spending on the level of millions ever again.

I expect some late business. A decent  central defender in on loan from a Championship side. There's a strong possibility of Graham and/or Lenihan out - I'd rather keep both and really go for it this season. Hopefully, the upturn in results might persuade Venkys to give Mowbray another 500k to buy a decent player, more likely we'll probably pick up some unattached player in September - maybe even one of our ex-players.

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Because it seems to happen every year mate, people are just conditioned to accepting that it happens......

Obviously, it should go without saying that I hope that doesn't happen, but I always expect the worst with Venky's.

Expecting the worse is your own personal privelege, I personally prefer to use objectivity.

We aren't talking about selling players that cut the wage bill in half, and we certainly aren't talking about transfer fees that cut the debt/and or fund losses this year. So why expect the same? As if it's some sort of specific tactic to wind up the fans, as if the actual owners will get involved at last minute and demand some "trouser" funds..!

They must be preparing to absorb yet more losses again this season, as the entire squad would be need to be shifted to bring the cost of it line with turnover minus the facilities cost (something else predicted to be closed before the season)..

...Yet if it's signings in, "talk is cheap" until they happen! You surely can see why this to me is just the same repetitive negative splurge that might represent how many feel, but none of the actual current facts or the scenario! 

Im bored of it. You might say I've come to "accept" it on BRFCS! 

24 minutes ago, Biz said:

I am sick of hearing about how all of our millions of pounds of player sales are being used to directly plug the debt. No debt has been offset as yet - likewise smaller clubs than us get by with higher wage structures because of owners that are willing to, and understand the need to, provide funding for them circumstances. See Bournemouth as a massive example of this.

The Venkys ultimately put us into the situation whereby we've had to sell players to 'balance the books'. In reality, if they cared about the club, they'd provide the money required to put us back into the Premier League. However it's plain for all to see that they'd rather dismantle the club than do what's necessary. 

Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Burnley (as much as it pains me to say it), Brentford are all examples of well run clubs performing well. Even Cardiff have managed to turn it around and it was only a few yrs ago Mr Tan tried to change the clubs colours to his favoured red of Man Utd!!

Did we not put a bid for Oxford defender Nelson last week? It would suggest we have money to spend still. 

Mowbray has been very clear on Lenihan and his future. 

I still Graham and Feeney to go. 3  players in. A target man striker, centre half, a winger

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I am sick of hearing about how all of our millions of pounds of player sales are being used to directly plug the debt. No debt has been offset as yet - likewise smaller clubs than us get by with higher wage structures because of owners that are willing to, and understand the need to, provide funding for them circumstances. See Bournemouth as a massive example of this.

The Venkys ultimately put us into the situation whereby we've had to sell players to 'balance the books'. In reality, if they cared about the club, they'd provide the money required to put us back into the Premier League. However it's plain for all to see that they'd rather dismantle the club than do what's necessary. 

Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Burnley (as much as it pains me to say it), Brentford are all examples of well run clubs performing well. Even Cardiff have managed to turn it around and it was only a few yrs ago Mr Tan tried to change the clubs colours to his favoured Utds?

Of course if they were so rich and determined to right the wrongs of the past then they could have kept those players flogged or alternatively reinvested the millions received. We all know they didn't, nor did they use the money to pay off the bank debts. Instead the money went into the black hole of running costs which includes paying off our old friends Owen Coyle and Anthony Stokes. Slightly sickening that we're supposed to accept sales of Cairney/Rhodes/Hanley etc. as balancing the books and putting the club back on an even keel and then 12 months later they're using a chunk of that money to pay off more dross.

People slate Tan at Cardiff yet I'm sure I read somewhere that he's in the process of making the club debt free by paying off their debts himself over a period of time. Looks like he might be getting his money back if they get promoted this season. Amazing what a good manager can do to a club going nowhere with no money to spend.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Did we not put a bid for Oxford defender Nelson last week? It would suggest we have money to spend still. 

Mowbray has been very clear on Lenihan and his future. 

I still Graham and Feeney to go. 3  players in. A target man striker, centre half, a winger

Putting a bid in doesn't cost anything. Will you feel better in a couple of weeks if we've signed nobody but 'put bids in' for players? Makes no difference if the bids aren't good enough or Venkys don't sanction the deal and the player goes elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, Biz said:

Expecting the worse is your own personal privelege, I personally prefer to use objectivity.

We aren't talking about selling players that cut the wage bill in half, and we certainly aren't talking about transfer fees that cut the debt/and or fund losses this year. So why expect the same? As if it's some sort of specific tactic to wind up the fans, as if the actual owners will get involved at last minute and demand some "trouser" funds..!

They must be preparing to absorb yet more losses again this season, as the entire squad would be need to be shifted to bring the cost of it line with turnover minus the facilities cost (something else predicted to be closed before the season)..

...Yet if it's signings in, "talk is cheap" until they happen! You surely can see why this to me is just the same repetitive negative splurge that might represent how many feel, but none of the actual current facts or the scenario! 

Well last summer we lost both of our centre-backs, they were never adequately replaced and we went down.

Is that boring enough for you?

1 minute ago, 47er said:

Well last summer we lost both of our centre-backs, they were never adequately replaced and we went down.

Is that boring enough for you?

Why do you keep quoting me 47er, wasn't the "if you personally abuse me on a different website I won't give you the time of day" not clear enough for you? 

• Moderation Lead
14 minutes ago, Biz said:

Why expect the same? Because Venky's have let us down repeatedly for the last seven years, I'm using it as a coping mechanism. If they don't sell anyone important, then great, it's a bonus, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up.

You're over-egging the pudding when it's just easier to predict future behaviours by looking at past behaviours to help make a judgment.

I'm bored of Venky's running the club into the ground and the club being in a continuing negative, downward spiral.

12 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I expect some late business. A decent  central defender in on loan from a Championship side. There's a strong possibility of Graham and/or Lenihan out - I'd rather keep both and really go for it this season. Hopefully, the upturn in results might persuade Venkys to give Mowbray another 500k to buy a decent player, more likely we'll probably pick up some unattached player in September - maybe even one of our ex-players.

I hope we keep Graham to as a fully fit and motivated Danny Graham is capable of scoring twenty goals in this league.But he looks to be completely out of favour, with him not getting a start against Mk Dons and Mowbray choosing Antonnson ahead of him all the signs are pointing to an exit.If he isn't going to be played by Mowbray it is probably for the best he is moved on as he will probably be the highest paid player at the club and his wage can be used elsewhere.Mowbray and Graham must have fallen out I can't see any other reason why a loanee from Leeds who has done nothing since he arrived to England would be chosen ahead of him

Just now, JHRover said:

Putting a bid in doesn't cost anything. Will you feel better in a couple of weeks if we've signed nobody but 'put bids in' for players? Makes no difference if the bids aren't good enough or Venkys don't sanction the deal and the player goes elsewhere.

Recently mate you have become so negative which in recent years you have always be balanced with your posts

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Recently mate you have become so negative which in recent years you have always be balanced with your posts

JHRover is only stating facts. The owners have not invested anything extra this summer and are cutting costs again.

Just now, K-Hod said:

Why expect the same? Because Venky's have let us down repeatedly for the last seven years, I'm using it as a coping mechanism. If they don't sell anyone important, then great, it's a bonus, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up.

You're over-egging the pudding when it's just easier to predict future behaviours by looking at past behaviours to help make a judgment.

I'm bored of Venky's running the club into the ground and the club being in a continuing negative, downward spiral.

You use wallowing in your own negativity as a coping method? I can quite easily say that that's exactly the reason you and others can't look objectively at the present time.

I can't blame you for it, but I can't say I'm not bored stiff of it. Over egging the pudding? By being rational and looking at what's currently going on without the pre-conceived view that "ALL LIFE UNDER VENKYS MUST DIE!!!!"?  

In a scenario where we need to be promoted first time, we've added league quality and retained experience - in isolation, that's not a downward spiral - it's potentially a marker to return, even though it's early doors in league 1. You can agree or disagree all you want, but that's my opinion, based on objective facts of the present.

Well, no, that isn't true. The owners have invested money and continue to do so on a monthly basis in order to keep us afloat. 

We're cutting costs, but we're also seeing a fall in revenue. 

There are many criticisms that can be aimed at our owners, but right now they are the only thing keeping the lights on. I wouldn't mind a bit more investment in the first team squad as we are only one or two players away from having a team that should be prohibitive favourites for this league, but they've put money into the team this year. 

Any objective assessment of our squad would be that we are more than good enough at this level. We have spent a lot for this level of football (quite possibly the most in the league, although I do not know exactly how we stack up with others), and we almost certainly have the highest wage bill going. 

Over the last few years, the dislike for our owners has grown to such a level to where every aspect is criticised, even when it is not deserved. 

Archived