SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2017/18

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

One poor season is hardly a good reason not to sign a talented player

He’s actually only had one good season to date 

I’d take him though it would be unlikely to happen 

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2018/march/mick-mccarthy-to-depart-ipswich-town-at-the-end-of-his-contract/

Mick McCarthy on his way from Ipswich at the end of the season. Uneasy relationship between him and supporters.

Good manager coming on the market there. Expect Ipswich to struggle next season.

On the subject of this there's a fair few Ipswich fans who want Mowbray as their next manager - ex player, popular down there, Venus was there also, plays 'better football' than McCarthy.

• Backroom

It's a weird one with Ipswich. Most of their fans desperately want Mick out, but have very few answers when it comes to who can realistically replace him and not get the club relegated. Make no mistake, Ipswich have a poor squad and have done for years. Mick has basically worked miracles there and had to employ some pretty horrific football to get the results required. Unless Evans stumps up a decent transfer budget for the next manager they could easily be on their way down next season. 

Haven't heard Mowbray's name mentioned as a potential replacement tbh. I imagine a lot of Ipswich fans don't even know he's our manager. I've spoken to quite a few who have been surprised when I mentioned it. If they think he'd be an improvement on Mick they might be in for a rude awakening. Mowbray won't be able to sign the equivalent of Dack, Graham or Mulgrew for the Championship. If he did go there he'd be working more with the Dominic Samuel, Corry Evans and Marcus Antonsson types. 

If we go up I think Mowbray would probably be better off staying here, in all honesty. If we stay in L1 I think he'll be gone anyway, so Ipswich could be an option for him. Not sure he'd be welcomed with open arms if he'd just failed to get the best financed team out of League 1 though.

Just now, DE. said:

It's a weird one with Ipswich. Most of their fans desperately want Mick out, but have very few answers when it comes to who can realistically replace him and not get the club relegated. Make no mistake, Ipswich have a poor squad and have done for years. Mick has basically worked miracles there and had to employ some pretty horrific football to get the results required. Unless Evans stumps up a decent transfer budget for the next manager they could easily be on their way down next season. 

Haven't heard Mowbray's name mentioned as a potential replacement tbh. I imagine a lot of Ipswich fans don't even know he's our manager. I've spoken to quite a few who have been surprised when I mentioned it. If they think he'd be an improvement on Mick they might be in for a rude awakening. Mowbray won't be able to sign the equivalent of Dack, Graham or Mulgrew for the Championship. If he did go there he'd be working more with the Dominic Samuel, Corry Evans and Marcus Antonsson types. 

If we go up I think Mowbray would probably be better off staying here, in all honesty. If we stay in L1 I think he'll be gone anyway, so Ipswich could be an option for him. Not sure he'd be welcomed with open arms if he'd just failed to get the best financed team out of League 1 though.

Go on Ipswich's main forum and there's a lot who are keen on the idea of Mowbray. Seems to fit the bill for them - they like going for British managers with experience of the division, Mowbray would be popular as an ex-player and has a reputation for playing good football which is their biggest gripe with McCarthy. Also on the outside Mowbray has gone a long way to rebuilding his reputation by nearly keeping us up and then having us in promotion contention. They do seem to be realistic that it would be difficult to lure Mowbray away from here if he gets us promoted, especially as they have no money and won't want to pay compensation, and I think Mowbray has said previously that he wants to be in the north near his kids and that was a problem for him at Coventry.

McCarthy has worked wonders at Ipswich. Firstly to keep them up and then finishing 6th and 7th in his first two seasons on their budget. Last couple of seasons they've been mid-table but never in any relegation danger. Seems the fans have had enough of him and he's had enough of fans moaning. Crowds have plummeted. Someone like Sheffield Wednesday would be sensible appointing him if they want to go up instead of the succession of foreign coaches. West Brom or Stoke if they come down.

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Go on Ipswich's main forum and there's a lot who are keen on the idea of Mowbray. Seems to fit the bill for them - they like going for British managers with experience of the division, Mowbray would be popular as an ex-player and has a reputation for playing good football which is their biggest gripe with McCarthy. Also on the outside Mowbray has gone a long way to rebuilding his reputation by nearly keeping us up and then having us in promotion contention. They do seem to be realistic that it would be difficult to lure Mowbray away from here if he gets us promoted, especially as they have no money and won't want to pay compensation, and I think Mowbray has said previously that he wants to be in the north near his kids and that was a problem for him at Coventry.

McCarthy has worked wonders at Ipswich. Firstly to keep them up and then finishing 6th and 7th in his first two seasons on their budget. Last couple of seasons they've been mid-table but never in any relegation danger. Seems the fans have had enough of him and he's had enough of fans moaning. Crowds have plummeted. Someone like Sheffield Wednesday would be sensible appointing him if they want to go up instead of the succession of foreign coaches. West Brom or Stoke if they come down.

I guess that shows the difference between the fans who use forums and people who don't! Most of the people I talk to probably don't go beyond the Ipswich Star newspaper for content on the club.

If Mowbray is a genuine target for Ipswich then I think it'll be a case of waiting to see if we get promoted or not. Can they afford to wait that long? We'll almost certainly be in the playoffs if we don't go up automatically, so at the very least they'd be waiting until late May/early June to find out if Mowbray is even available and willing to talk. 

It's hard to blame the Ipswich fans for feeling the way they do about Mick. He's done an incredible job but the football is dire, there's no getting around it. Watching Ipswich makes Allardyce's Rovers look like Barcelona in comparison, it really is that bad. But what else can you do with such technically poor players? As I said, Evans either needs to stump up some serious cash for the next manager or prepare himself for the very real possibility of relegation.  

At least part of this has probably been prompted by Ipswich having their lowest crowds in 20+ years. There aren't that many other options around here to watch a decent standard of football, so when typically loyal Ipswich fans are walking away there is a problem. Mick is just a symptom of that problem, though. The main issue is lack of investment which will come back to haunt the club if they appoint a new manager and fail to give him a good budget to work with. The last manager who had a decent budget was Roy Keane, and he left in January 2011. 

There are some parallels between ourselves and Ipswich. During the Bowyer years we finished on very similar points to them most season (although we undoubtedly had the better squad) and in recent years both teams have been starved of funds and had their best players sold for profit which was not reinvested. Ipswich are basically at the point we were at when Lambert left at the end of the 15/16 season. One wrong appointment and it might be game over for them. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2018/march/mick-mccarthy-to-depart-ipswich-town-at-the-end-of-his-contract/

Mick McCarthy on his way from Ipswich at the end of the season. Uneasy relationship between him and supporters.

Good manager coming on the market there. Expect Ipswich to struggle next season.

On the subject of this there's a fair few Ipswich fans who want Mowbray as their next manager - ex player, popular down there, Venus was there also, plays 'better football' than McCarthy.

Good manager but the past 3 seasons his football is boring and fans are fed up of it. 

No surprise he leaving. Best for all parties

30 minutes ago, DE. said:

Hasnt McClaren been linked to this job? 

I think Mowbray would be staying here

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The Ipswich fans have had to watch dire football and they had enough and rightly so. 

Sheffield Wed, West Brom and Stoke fans wouldnt want him there.

His style of football is dire and fans dont want that. 

4 minutes ago, DE. said:

I guess that shows the difference between the fans who use forums and people who don't! Most of the people I talk to probably don't go beyond the Ipswich Star newspaper for content on the club.

If Mowbray is a genuine target for Ipswich then I think it'll be a case of waiting to see if we get promoted or not. Can they afford to wait that long? We'll almost certainly be in the playoffs if we don't go up automatically, so at the very least they'd be waiting until late May/early June to find out if Mowbray is even available and willing to talk. 

It's hard to blame the Ipswich fans for feeling the way they do about Mick. He's done an incredible job but the football is dire, there's no getting around it. Watching Ipswich makes Allardyce's Rovers look like Barcelona in comparison, it really is that bad. But what else can you do with such technically poor players? As I said, Evans either needs to stump up some serious cash for the next manager or prepare himself for the very real possibility of relegation.  

At least part of this has probably been prompted by Ipswich having their lowest crowds in 20+ years. There aren't that many other options around here to watch a decent standard of football, so when typically loyal Ipswich fans are walking away there is a problem. Mick is just a symptom of that problem, though. The main issue is lack of investment which will come back to haunt the club if they appoint a new manager and fail to give him a good budget to work with. The last manager who had a decent budget was Roy Keane, and he left in January 2011. 

There are some parallels between ourselves and Ipswich. During the Bowyer years we finished on very similar points to them most season (although we undoubtedly had the better squad) and in recent years both teams have been starved of funds and had their best players sold for profit which was not reinvested. Ipswich are basically at the point we were at when Lambert left at the end of the 15/16 season. One wrong appointment and it might be game over for them. 

When they got rid of Jewell they had the sense to get the right manager in who would work to a tight budget and it paid off for them.

Doubt they'll be daft enough to go down the route we did of firstly appointing a manager that demanded millions to spend before walking when it didn't materialise and then appointing a charlatan like Coyle who had previously managed most hated rivals.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Ipswich fans have had to watch dire football and they had enough and rightly so. 

Fans want promotion and McCarthy's record is behind only Warnock and Bruce at getting teams into promotion contention. I don't recall Megson's West Brom or Pulis' Stoke playing like Barcelona when getting promoted last time.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

• Backroom

I've seen McClaren and Bilic mentioned so far, Ipswich fans don't seem to be keen on the former but more interested in the latter. I'm not sure they have the budget for either of those managers but I suppose we'll see. Bilic with no budget would be a disaster imo. Schteve would probably keep them up but again would need money to really put things right there - and he'd be off like a shot as soon as anything better came calling.

Just now, DE. said:

I've seen McClaren and Bilic mentioned so far, Ipswich fans don't seem to be keen on the former but more interested in the latter. I'm not sure they have the budget for either of those managers but I suppose we'll see. Bilic with no budget would be a disaster imo. Schteve would probably keep them up but again would need money to really put things right there - and he'd be off like a shot as soon as anything better came calling.

McClaren's the obvious one. He's desperate to get back into work, available and wouldn't make excessive demands. Very much doubt Bilic would be interested.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good manager but the past 3 seasons his football is boring and fans are fed up of it. 

No surprise he leaving. Best for all parties

Hasnt McClaren been linked to this job? 

I think Mowbray would be staying here

Could you elaborate on why McCarthys football is boring in your opinion? How would you describe his philosophy? 

Did you watch much of Ipswich? Just wondering how as they aren't on TV much 

• Backroom
Just now, JHRover said:

Fans want promotion and McCarthy's record is behind only Warnock and Bruce at getting teams into promotion contention. I don't recall Megson's West Brom or Pulis' Stoke playing like Barcelona when getting promoted last time.

I really do wonder what would have happened if Warnock had come here as he was supposed to. I think it probably would have ended in tears with Warnock getting frustrated and leaving either through being sacked or resignation... but you look at what he's done with Cardiff and can't help but think 'what if?' ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

He was my standout candidate with Warnock after Kean left. Either would have got us back up with the squad we had. 

I don't really know what the fans or board expected of him at Ipswich with the peanuts he had to spend. I would imagine not many clubs even managed to stay up with the budget he had there 

• Like 3

Just now, DE. said:

I really do wonder what would have happened if Warnock had come here as he was supposed to. I think it probably would have ended in tears with Warnock getting frustrated and leaving either through being sacked or resignation... but you look at what he's done with Cardiff and can't help but think 'what if?' ...

Suppose it depends on whether Venkys left him to it or made it hard work for him. Apparently they've trusted Mowbray with a budget and left him to get on with it so surely could have done the same with Warnock. He's also managed to strike up a working relationship with Vincent Tan who doesn't quite fall into Venky level but isn't far off.

I bet he and Cardiff fans can't quite believe we turned him down to appoint Coyle.

Painful to even think about it really.

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

McClaren's the obvious one. He's desperate to get back into work, available and wouldn't make excessive demands. Very much doubt Bilic would be interested.

Mclaren is also a shockingly bad Coyle esque manager, living off a good season or two 10 years ago. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, JHRover said:

Suppose it depends on whether Venkys left him to it or made it hard work for him. Apparently they've trusted Mowbray with a budget and left him to get on with it so surely could have done the same with Warnock. He's also managed to strike up a working relationship with Vincent Tan who doesn't quite fall into Venky level but isn't far off.

I bet he and Cardiff fans can't quite believe we turned him down to appoint Coyle.

Painful to even think about it really.

It seems like Mowbray basically got the keys to the kingdom by travelling to India and metaphorically kissing their feet. Warnock strikes me as a very different personality. Tan comes off as a little eccentric but I think he's ultimately always wanted to succeed at Cardiff. A lot of Venky's decisions have been questionable to the point where success on the pitch doesn't seem like it's always been their #1 priority. Their employment history suggests they want largely subservient, humble managers who won't rock the boat. Warnock is certainly not that. I'm not convinced it would have worked out. 

Obviously you then ask the question of why he was being interviewed in the first place, but probably just a case of the left hand having no idea what the right hand is doing.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

It paid off if true. He got what he wanted in terms of retaining and signing players. Shrewd management.

As long as he gets us promoted, yes. If not then much like Bowyer I imagine he'll soon find himself without his best players and without any further communications. 

• Like 2