BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Away

Ricky

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, when I see Ward with the ball, I just keep thinking that he is struggling not to trip over it. Very worrying 

What a good way of capturing my concern every time the ball falls to him on the ground!

Two things for me. Can he play his way into some confidence and form? Why did Mowbray buy Downing?

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is in no way condoning Wards poor distribution, but he does make himself available for a pass, which means that he gets the ball a little bit too often for a player of his quality. The ball players in midfield are the ones who should be showing for a pass, demanding the ball. As soon as any defender gets the ball, the first instinct seems to be play it square, where I think it should be play it short and forward to a ball player. If you loose possession passing forward, the opposition still have to get past you. if you loose it playing a square ball, invariably the opposition are through on goal.

Just now, rigger said:

This is in no way condoning Wards poor distribution, but he does make himself available for a pass, which means that he gets the ball a little bit too often for a player of his quality. The ball players in midfield are the ones who should be showing for a pass, demanding the ball. As soon as any defender gets the ball, the first instinct seems to be play it square, where I think it should be play it short and forward to a ball player. If you loose possession passing forward, the opposition still have to get past you. if you loose it playing a square ball, invariably the opposition are through on goal.

I agree. This is were Evans should be doing more.

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

What a good way of capturing my concern every time the ball falls to him on the ground!

Two things for me. Can he play his way into some confidence and form? Why did Mowbray buy Downing?

I don't know how far off his best Ward is. His career to date would suggest, not far. 

Any supporters who have been to at least a couple of matches this season can see the quality at League 1 level is pretty poor. Hence our impressive defence stats in spite of some keystone cop defending.

For me,Mowbray should generate more encouragement and positivity to get the best out of what hes got. A bit of energy would help.This is where Chapman looks good(he should certainly start)-perhaps play another Academy lad to inject some pace and enthusiasm into our game. Like Nuttall,and/or Tomlinson?

I thought Ward struggled due to Raya not calling for anything on Saturday. He left Ward facing his own goal with Shrews players in close pursuit unsure of what to do when a simple call would have helped.

The fans shouting:

"You're ******* useless Ward"

"Get off the pitch useless ****"

Wouldn't have helped either......

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

I thought Ward struggled due to Raya not calling for anything on Saturday. He left Ward facing his own goal with Shrews players in close pursuit unsure of what to do when a simple call would have helped.

The fans shouting:

"You're ******* useless Ward"

"Get off the pitch useless ****"

Wouldn't have helped either......

No, it doesn't, but I suppose professional players will get that. 

The relationship between the 2 center halves and goalkeeper is crucial though. Need someone calling the shots 

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

No, I was saying you using Mahoney as a comparison with the Chapman situation is slightly disingenuous. I explained why in the post you quoted. Chapman starting might or might not work out but if you've seen the home games this season you will know we look toothless and clueless as an attacking unit...except when Chapman is on the pitch. We have nothing to lose by playing him at home because we are losing when we don't.

OK I give, I was just offering a thought and have been mercilessly shot down in flames, let's start the lad.  NFL? can't stand it don't watch it..

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, it doesn't, but I suppose professional players will get that. 

The relationship between the 2 center halves and goalkeeper is crucial though. Need someone calling the shots 

If you're playing centre half you go for the ball, if the goalie is a rookie you ignore him and clear the danger anyway. Especially in this league were goalkeepers aren't  treated as an endangered species as in the Premier League. You can argue the toss later. When you gain confidence in your keeper then you just may consider leaving it for him. As of now just get a boot or head to the ball.

• Paul unpinned this topic
14 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you're playing centre half you go for the ball, if the goalie is a rookie you ignore him and clear the danger anyway. Especially in this league were goalkeepers aren't  treated as an endangered species as in the Premier League. You can argue the toss later. When you gain confidence in your keeper then you just may consider leaving it for him. As of now just get a boot or head to the ball.

You're absolutely spot on TS but we all know that in practice things can be very different. 

Dann in his final season here was excellent, not only was he covering Hanleys rash decision making and poor positional sense, he was also playing with poor keepers. The majority of ball watching fans couldn't see past everything being Danns fault, when in fact it was everything around Dann that was at fault, he was excellent as he's proved since at Palace, similar with Duffy.

Not saying Wards a brilliant defender, I've not seen enough of him to say either way, but other factors were at play at the weekend.

Archived