BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Away

Ricky

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was (in the end happy with a draw) ....rumor as it though  Ward and Raya are starting up there own comedy double act,

On a serious note can someone please tell me what TM sees in Ward, i said it in a prior thread that he as nothing below the shoulders and i still stand by that, and i have watched every game both home and away this season,...

17 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've run out of patience with Graham, he needs a kick up the backside. I'd leave him out of the squad totally if I'd my way.

That's what I was saying, put Nuttall in just to make a point, even if he doesn't play.  Have him on the bench.

What's with the much chastised (before he even kicked a ball for us) Downing?  He had, by some accounts, a very solid game for us yet we persist with Ward who seems to cause panic in our back line several times a game through stupid mistakes.  For me there is not enough steel in this team.  Not enough players to roll up their sleeves and do the work.

17 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Was only saying on the other forum roversfans.com how much I wanted to see Graham and Chapman start. He looks finished to me, I'd heard he didn't train as much due to a hip problem?

Yes he has a hip problem, his hands are stuck to em most of the game.

6 hours ago, philipl said:

This is turgid stuff, never mind the football.

1) Shrewsbury had won 7 drawn 1 before yesterday

2) We were rubbish, we drew

3) We had three subs who together seem to have turned the game.

Ask the supporter of any other League 1 side if they would write Rovers off from getting automatic promotion.

Well they might, if they had had to pay to sit through Southend, Doncaster and Wimbledon.

Rovers fans don't need to be arrogant or believe in some kind of divine right to have real concerns after such no shows. 

Yesterday will have done nothing to allay such concerns.

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

Which is what people said after the Burnley game.

Its also what some people said after the Wimbledon game.

He was MOTM by a mile against Stoke's kids.

Will Mowbray start him on Tuesday? That is my biggest issue with the manager at the moment.

As for yesterday, decent point if we can back it up in the upcoming two home games. However I don't expect Shrewsbury to finish in the top 6 this season. They've had an incredible start but it's been a relatively kind fixture list and I expect them to start coming back to the pack soon.

Not picking on your post in particular, you are one of several.  Just want to make a comment on the calls for Chapman to start.  Remeber yiung Mahoney last season, impact sub, started and nothing.  Young lad too, could Chapman be similar, wirry would be for me if Chapman does start, IS ineffective then who is our impact sub to change the game.

4 hours ago, Phil T said:

'll have to see how Mowbray plays this over the next few games, but fans will soon be turning 180 on this "honest guy" if he doesn't produce results.

Honest.gut, nice guy.  I like him but sadly his team seems to reflect the nice guy when it comes to scrapping it out in the field.

1 hour ago, USABlue said:

Not picking on your post in particular, you are one of several.  Just want to make a comment on the calls for Chapman to start.  Remeber yiung Mahoney last season, impact sub, started and nothing.  Young lad too, could Chapman be similar, wirry would be for me if Chapman does start, IS ineffective then who is our impact sub to change the game.

You should be aiming that question at Mowbray, he chose the squad. And since when did a manager sign a player to be 'an impact sub'? It's a squad game so if he isn't good enough to start and Mowbray doesn't trust him to start then Chapman shouldn't have been brought to the club. I doubt Boro were told he would be a sub every week. Chapman has also already played in this league for both Sheff utd and Barnsley so not really comparable to Mahoney who looked physically weak. Chapman is a quick, strong runner, nothing like Mahoney who was all feints and shoulder drops.

1 hour ago, USABlue said:

Honest.gut, nice guy.  I like him but sadly his team seems to reflect the nice guy when it comes to scrapping it out in the field.

Nice guy doesn't always cut it...need that bit extra..Bowyer was also a nice guy but didn't have that extra

Special mention for Raya, who I thought played well. Came out for crosses when we needed relief, and pulled off a good save when Shrewsbury should have made it 2-0. Just 22 years old, and he's starting to look the part. Hope his confidence continues to grow, and be becomes the keeper we've so badly needed since Friedel left.

Having watched Mowbray's post-match interview on iFollow, it sounds like he was not impressed at all with Dack.

Asked if he was happy for Dack to get off the mark, Mowbray winced and said something like: "It doesn't matter who gets the goal. If he's being played out of position, he may as well not be on the pitch."

Players being played out of position isn't ideal in the first place, but it sounds like he's one of the main culprits in this "not following instructions" lark.

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

After we scored Smallwood wanted to fight 'Martin's' opposite number.

The ref should have booked their goalkeeper for time wasting after that incident. A far as refs go the let a lot more go on in this league. Their goal would have been disallowed in the Premier League for a foul on the goalkeeper.

2 hours ago, USABlue said:

He's been a very good impact sub in the last two games. We've only got one point from those two games and scored 1 goal.  Something needs to change.

He's also started two cup games where he was generally regarded as possibly being our best player in both those games.

With a relatively thin squad, did we really bring a highly rated young talent down to league one to give him 15 minutes every week?

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The ref should have booked their goalkeeper for time wasting after that incident. A far as refs go the let a lot more go on in this league. Their goal would have been disallowed in the Premier League for a foul on the goalkeeper.

Raya's not big enough. Said it all summer. Their guy just jumps for the ball and it gets dropped right at his feet.

58 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Special mention for Raya, who I thought played well. Came out for crosses when we needed relief, and pulled off a good save when Shrewsbury should have made it 2-0. Just 22 years old, and he's starting to look the part. Hope his confidence continues to grow, and be becomes the keeper we've so badly needed since Friedel left.

But when they hit the bar and for the goal, his half-hearted attempts at claiming the ball caused us massive problems.

Not convinced at all that if we have genuine promotion aspirations, we can continue to allow him to make mistakes, hes made a couple of clangers already that you cant continuously get away with if you want to go up.

20 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's obvious why we didn't get rid of him, nobody came in with a serious offer.

At his age and current form we never will.

Didn't we get him for free? I'm sure a championship team would take him for a few quid.

3 hours ago, den9112 said:

I was (in the end happy with a draw) ....rumor as it though  Ward and Raya are starting up there own comedy double act,

On a serious note can someone please tell me what TM sees in Ward, i said it in a prior thread that he as nothing below the shoulders and i still stand by that, and i have watched every game both home and away this season,...

I can recall that I think it was the Wimbledon thread & I didn't think he did so bad in that game within the context of everybody overall no idea how he fared yesterday, the games I've seen caddis seems to be repeatedly the weak link in the back line but if you went to Shrewsbury & say ward had a shocker fair enough he's no maldini for sure, I think they are other people below his standard.

I don't want to knock a pro footballer, as he obviously as something, he holds his ground well and be quite good in the air but then loses concentration with a short ball or lack of concentration.

The odd mistake can happen to the best that's football but Ward makes to many and its every game possibly needs one of his team mates at him to keep his concentration going the full 90mins ,

Think Lambert signed Ward as a cheap, familiar backup who he had worked with before. We still had Duffy and Hanley as regular CBs at that stage and there was no way he was going to knock either of them out of the team. 

The foundation to any promotion winning side is a solid, reliable and consistent CB partnership. Mulgrew, thank goodness, has managed to only miss one game so far this season yet I worry about his susceptibility to injuries. Ward I have lost count the number of times in games already he has managed to put us in danger when he's not even under any immediate pressure due to spending too long on the ball or playing ridiculous balls into dangerous areas. He's a liability.

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

Having watched Mowbray's post-match interview on iFollow, it sounds like he was not impressed at all with Dack.

Asked if he was happy for Dack to get off the mark, Mowbray winced and said something like: "It doesn't matter who gets the goal. If he's being played out of position, he may as well not be on the pitch."

Players being played out of position isn't ideal in the first place, but it sounds like he's one of the main culprits in this "not following instructions" lark.

not seen the interview on ifollow if TM has said that it maybe TM has lost the dressing room and we're only in September

I managed to go on Montgomery Water Meadow and sit with the Shrewsbury fans, eye level with the pitch (Row B), looking across the penalty area in front of the home fans. All the glorious Rovers fans were far away to my left.

We were shocking in the first half. All we did was hoof it upfield. When we got into their half we hadn't a clue what to do next. This is all down to poor management.

Second half we quickened things up and looked dangerous until they scored against the run of play. The three subs really changed the game and Dack played much better with Antonsson and Chapman. Peter Whittingham was a revelation. His quality shone through. He must start in place of Evans IMO. Ward needs "resting"; possibly permanently.

When we equalised both my wrists clenched and my arms went up and down twice but I managed to keep shtum.

Rovers fans were quiet in the first half but raised the singing in the second, especially after we scored. We could have won it but so could they on the break. My neutral friend was bored until 1-1. Then the game got exciting.

Got home today at 5:30 after a day in Llangollen.  Roll on Tuesday evening.

5 hours ago, USABlue said:

Hmmm not sure about that one USA. That's like saying we will keep our best players on the bench in case we need them.. the lad didn't just transform the side he was playing on, he transformed the team, the game, the fans, the lot.

Archived