BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Away

Ricky

This is turgid stuff, never mind the football.

1) Shrewsbury had won 7 drawn 1 before yesterday

2) We were rubbish, we drew

3) We had three subs who together seem to have turned the game.

Ask the supporter of any other League 1 side if they would write Rovers off from getting automatic promotion.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Gav said:

Shrewsbury have taken 22 points from 24 I believe before todays game and we more than matched them I thought.

A game that lacked quality and chances at either end, but we're in the 3rd division, a point that far to many Rovers fans seem to be missing, its bound to lack quality, players will make mistakes, that the level we're at now.

Realism is in short supply in some parts of the fan base but I worry more about this quote:

"They were decent but I do expect Blackburn Rovers to be better than Shrewsbury Town."

At least two ways to interpret the above either our history says we should be, unrealistic, or an expression of TM's disappointment with our performance and results - plural. 

A point at the league leaders has to be good. Whatever happened to last season's mantra "any team can beat another in this league?" Surely this is precisely what we have experienced in the first eight games this year? What we need is to rise above this in the manner the current top three, possibly five, seem to be doing. 

33 minutes ago, philipl said:

This is turgid stuff, never mind the football.

1) Shrewsbury had won 7 drawn 1 before yesterday

2) We were rubbish, we drew

3) We had three subs who together seem to have turned the game.

Ask the supporter of any other League 1 side if they would write Rovers off from getting automatic promotion.

The spine of the team is weak . Ward not good enough , Evans too weak and Graham to bloody idle !.....

The only thing Shrewsbury had was more deretmination and spirit ....

Counts a lot in any game .....We are not out of this by any means , certain things need addressing ....

30 minutes ago, Paul said:

Realism is in short supply in some parts of the fan base but I worry more about this quote:

"They were decent but I do expect Blackburn Rovers to be better than Shrewsbury Town."

At least two ways to interpret the above either our history says we should be, unrealistic, or an expression of TM's disappointment with our performance and results - plural. 

A point at the league leaders has to be good. Whatever happened to last season's mantra "any team can beat another in this league?" Surely this is precisely what we have experienced in the first eight games this year? What we need is to rise above this in the manner the current top three, possibly five, seem to be doing. 

They weren't decent though, they were terrible and so were we until the subs were made. 

I think this 'impact player' term is media created and overly used. Why can Chapman not do from minute one what he has been doing for the last twenty minutes? He simply has to start on Tuesday and simply be told to do what he has been doing in the cameos that Mowbray has afforded him. Being on the front foot in home games is crucial and to do this our most offensive players have to start.

Just now, arbitro said:

I think this 'impact player' term is media created and overly used. Why can Chapman not do from minute one what he has been doing for the last twenty minutes? He simply has to start on Tuesday and simply be told to do what he has been doing in the cameos that Mowbray has afforded him. Being on the front foot in home games is crucial and to do this our most offensive players have to start.

I agree. Even if the lad has only got 45 minutes in him at this level we'd be better off having him on from the start and try and turn them over instead of bringing him on towards the end when we're chasing the game.

Rotherham will highly likely provide a tougher game than Shrewsbury.. Shrewsbury were shockingly bad but worked hard with a few big lads in there side.. Up top they didn't have much idea tbh.. It's unlikely Shrewsbury will be there or abouts come the business end of the year as far as we're concerned at this point we're even less likely to be there or abouts 

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Based on our 8 games so far, things need to improve. Your question should be "Will they?".

Our performances so far don't bode well, I'm afraid, and if things continue in the same vain, and we continue to lose silly matches, then we are most certainly going nowhere fast.

We'll have to see how Mowbray plays this over the next few games, but fans will soon be turning 180 on this "honest guy" if he doesn't produce results.

Just now, Phil T said:

Based on our 8 games so far, things need to improve. Your question should be "Will they?".

Our performances so far don't bode well, I'm afraid, and if things continue in the same vain, and we continue to lose silly matches, then we are most certainly going nowhere fast.

We'll have to see how Mowbray plays this over the next few games, but fans will soon be turning 180 on this "honest guy" if he doesn't produce results.

The next two games are crucial. Rotherham will come out fighting and give it a go, Gillingham will probably park the bus and look to do a " Wimbledon " on us. We need to be able to combat both styles of play. 

Our inability to come up with a coherent way of playing, to get 11 players out there that gel together and fit into a recognisable shape is worrying. We seem to be no nearer to the above than we were at Southend on the first day of the season. I'm coming around to the thinking of giving youth a fling.

The more ancient among us may remember us struggling in the early 1960's First Division. Then we gave two local 17 or 18 year old Blackburn lads in Barrie Ratcliffe and John Byrom a game up front. Their youthful enthusiasm kick started our season, especially Byrom's goals.

Imagine giving two players that young a game at top level nowadays, it just doesn't happen any more.

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree. Even if the lad has only got 45 minutes in him at this level we'd be better off having him on from the start and try and turn them over instead of bringing him on towards the end when we're chasing the game.

I think the idea is to have better fitness than the opposition, tire them out and then hit them with impact subs. A good idea if only we stopped conceding first because then teams are parking the bus.  Our starting eleven need to be more clinical,  get more shots off and score first. In isolation, it was a good point yesterday. Ewood is the problem for us.

11 hours ago, AlanK said:

The one positive thing I went away from that game with was Chapman

Which is what people said after the Burnley game.

Its also what some people said after the Wimbledon game.

He was MOTM by a mile against Stoke's kids.

Will Mowbray start him on Tuesday? That is my biggest issue with the manager at the moment.

As for yesterday, decent point if we can back it up in the upcoming two home games. However I don't expect Shrewsbury to finish in the top 6 this season. They've had an incredible start but it's been a relatively kind fixture list and I expect them to start coming back to the pack soon.

13 hours ago, islander200 said:

You say we need two strikers but Graham hasn't done anything this season and Antonnson has looked poor too so unless Nuttall is ready to step up I don't see why we are going with two up top.Dack has proven with Gillingham he can score goals playing off the front man.Bennett has played full back at Bristol and at Norwich in the past and although I'd rather Nyambe back or give Travis a try I honestly think Bennett would offer more than Caddis at full back

If we're going to go up, playing the same front line as Gillingham isn't going to work. We need to strikers up top, both giving support to each other, so that when the ball is launched forward to one of them, we have a better chance of keeping it, thus scoring. Playing 1 up 1 behind won't work. It didn't work we had 1 up 2 behind. 1 loss league since Doncaster is hardly worth ringing whole scale tactical changes in my eyes either. If we're going to go up, 2 forwards is the way to go. 

Just now, scotchrover said:

If we're going to go up, playing the same front line as Gillingham isn't going to work. We need to strikers up top, both giving support to each other, so that when the ball is launched forward to one of them, we have a better chance of keeping it, thus scoring. Playing 1 up 1 behind won't work. It didn't work we had 1 up 2 behind. 1 loss league since Doncaster is hardly worth ringing whole scale tactical changes in my eyes either. If we're going to go up, 2 forwards is the way to go. 

So who are your two up top?None of our strikers are in form and I include Samuel in that?I disagree with you anyway we can win football matches with 1 up top and 1 behind.In my opinion it was playing 3 at the back that cost us in those games.We beat Bradford away with 1 up top and Dack playing behind.Plenty of successful teams play with only 1 striker

45 minutes ago, islander200 said:

So who are your two up top?None of our strikers are in form and I include Samuel in that?I disagree with you anyway we can win football matches with 1 up top and 1 behind.In my opinion it was playing 3 at the back that cost us in those games.We beat Bradford away with 1 up top and Dack playing behind.Plenty of successful teams play with only 1 striker

Our best striker is Danny Graham but he was poor yesterday again Antonson has scored a couple but looks light weight and at best he's a box goalscorer.. Samuel again was poor.. Now non of us know what actually goes on behind the scenes but clearly something is amiss.. For me it's a idea to play Dack behind a front man and start Chapman running at men and banging in some balls 

Just now, Athlete said:

For me it's a idea to play Dack behind a front man and start Chapman running at men and banging in some balls 

Agreed. Graham needs service. He's a very good finisher when the ball is given to him in the box. Let Chapman on the right and Dack in behind do his running and provide the ammo.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The next two games are crucial. Rotherham will come out fighting and give it a go, Gillingham will probably park the bus and look to do a " Wimbledon " on us. We need to be able to combat both styles of play. 

Our inability to come up with a coherent way of playing, to get 11 players out there that gel together and fit into a recognisable shape is worrying. We seem to be no nearer to the above than we were at Southend on the first day of the season. I'm coming around to the thinking of giving youth a fling.

The more ancient among us may remember us struggling in the early 1960's First Division. Then we gave two local 17 or 18 year old Blackburn lads in Barrie Ratcliffe and John Byrom a game up front. Their youthful enthusiasm kick started our season, especially Byrom's goals.

Imagine giving two players that young a game at top level nowadays, it just doesn't happen any more.

In some ways if Rotherham come and have a go , it will help Rovers , it is the teams who park the bus , who will be more problematic....

Wish we had someone as good has John Byrom today .....

Just now, Waggy76 said:

In some ways if Rotherham come and have a go , it will help Rovers , it is the teams who park the bus , who will be more problematic....

Wish we had someone as good has John Byrom today .....

Yeah what a class act he was. Bobby Moore hated playing against him I believe. Given the number of goals he scored against West Ham for both Rovers and Bolton I'm not surprised. Letting him leave when we got relegated so we could sign Alan Gilliver was a major error.  Byrom went on to have a great career at Bolton and Gilliver came to us with a bad back and never really established himself.

The team needs a Scott Sellars type someone buzzing around always looking to make something happen, maybe Dack could provide that in his natural position but playing him left is just trying to accommodate the big signing.  Hopefully they're trying to build his fitness up before getting him starting in his normal role but he does look another very unfit pro and another lazy twohat when the ball isn't at his feet.

What is it with these guys ? is it really so hard to watch your @#/? diet and intake of ale ? 

Two damning stats in the paper today.

We've only scored a goal in the first half twice in our 8 league games, both of which we went on to win comfortably.

In TM's 15 league games last season we failed to score in the first half 12 times !

Starting slowly has been our Achilles heel ,especially at home, for longer than I care to remember.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Two damning stats in the paper today.

We've only scored a goal in the first half twice in our 8 league games, both of which we went on to win comfortably.

In TM's 15 league games last season we failed to score in the first half 12 times !

Starting slowly has been our Achilles heel ,especially at home, for longer than I care to remember.

A lot of that comes down to picking the wrong team.

18 hours ago, rovers11 said:

Glad to see some strong words from TM as the performance was woeful today. Need to see some changes of personnel on Tuesday.

On a positive note, quite a few teams who will be in and around the promotion mix at the end dropped points today. Also, to put in a shocking display and still come away with a point away to the best team in the league so far has got to be a promising sign. To have gone 13 points adrift of the top would have been a real blow. 

Never mind the words ACTION.  Drop some of the under performers.  Replace em with one of the kids if need be.  Nuttall in the squad instead of Graham.  Pretty sure at least one of the kids would play with some heart.

We seem to do well against top teams but need to find a strategy breaking poor teams down. IF you win away to teams like Bradford and Scunthorpe you will be up there.. after 10 games most teams start to struggle.. think Rovers will have a great run. Chapman and Dack will be keys!

Archived