BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Away

Ricky

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could go the very same way the way he left Coventry .....did he blame it  on not being able to build a team full of players on loan and a failure to get the big center back,

He just sounds to negative for me .....

I would like to add that i hope it doesn't, there is nothing more i would want than a steady ship with a good man in charge and at the moment its still early and results have not been too bad ...

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

He sounded defeated in his radio lancs interview, I can't see him being here much longer.

I saw him put his head in his hands on a few occasions when Ward lumped it forward. 

Not sure how he can moan at Dack for playing in the wrong position, he picked the team didn't he??

9 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

I saw him put his head in his hands on a few occasions

He did that in the two home games we lost too. It's weird. It's like every misplaced pass is a major catastrophe. I can't be good for the players seeing the manager go into meltdown on the touchline every five minutes. I suppose it's better than writing 'shoot' on a piece of paper. Or is it...

On that 10 minute video of the highlights take a look at Elliot 'calamity' Ward from 8.30 onwards.

Then, anyone that told me he was good enough for this league, write your apologies using the follow template:

Dear Dreams,

I sincerely humbly truly honestly apologise for being wrong. Elliot Ward is, actually, a liability and a God awful defender.

Yours sincerely,

The Wrong.....*NAME HERE*.

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

On that 10 minute video of the highlights take a look at Elliot 'calamity' Ward from 8.30 onwards.

Then, anyone that told me he was good enough for this league, write your apologies using the follow template:

Dear Dreams,

I sincerely humbly truly honestly apologise for being wrong. Elliot Ward is, actually, a liability and a God awful defender.

Yours sincerely,

I don't think he's that terrible, he's just not that great either but last year with Lenihan he appeared allot more calmer, having Mulgrew who's a snail like himself is impacting them both. It's one or the other they can't play together. Mulgrew is obviously going to be preferred so give Wharton a go alongside him. Mulgrew though needs to pull his own socks up as bar the goals he's been equally as pish.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Dear Dreams,

Yours sincerely,

Yeah, that was one terrible pass under no real pressure at all. A better opposition and that would have been 2-1 down and thanks for coming, just when we'd managed to salvage a point. To be honest when I saw Ward and Downing play together recently I thought they were two of a kind but if you keep seeing mistakes like that and picking the player again you're asking for trouble. Time to give Downing a game if only to " encourage the others".

Ward gets in the way, gets a foot in and makes blocks ok a lot of the time but anytime on the ball or anything he's to actually think about at all he's terrible an absolute disaster waiting to happen.  Time to weigh one against the other and then consider Raya in the thinking as well and realise you can't keep turning out two cock ups waiting to happen every game !

Ward out and hope it has a calming effect on Raya as well who my jury remains firmly out on although I will say he's equal to Steele at least.

9 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Good save by Martin!

The reality of lower league life, commentators don't have a clue who our players are save an official squad list!

Well his name is David Raya Martin.  Raya is his father's name and Martin his mother's name. A bit like calling Pedersen Gamst.  

12 hours ago, tomphil said:

Ward gets in the way, gets a foot in and makes blocks ok a lot of the time but anytime on the ball or anything he's to actually think about at all he's terrible an absolute disaster waiting to happen.  Time to weigh one against the other and then consider Raya in the thinking as well and realise you can't keep turning out two cock ups waiting to happen every game !

Ward out and hope it has a calming effect on Raya as well who my jury remains firmly out on although I will say he's equal to Steele at least.

Ya, when I see Ward with the ball, I just keep thinking that he is struggling not to trip over it. Very worrying 

13 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

I don't think he's that terrible, he's just not that great either but last year with Lenihan he appeared allot more calmer, having Mulgrew who's a snail like himself is impacting them both. It's one or the other they can't play together. Mulgrew is obviously going to be preferred so give Wharton a go alongside him. Mulgrew though needs to pull his own socks up as bar the goals he's been equally as pish.

Is Wharton still injured? Given that he has been given a new contract, those rumours have been out to bed, so if he is fit, then he should be given his head.

13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, that was one terrible pass under no real pressure at all. A better opposition and that would have been 2-1 down and thanks for coming, just when we'd managed to salvage a point. To be honest when I saw Ward and Downing play together recently I thought they were two of a kind but if you keep seeing mistakes like that and picking the player again you're asking for trouble. Time to give Downing a game if only to " encourage the others".

When I watched the highlights video I thought this. Then it dawned on me that if Downing isn't good enough to unseat Ward then he definitely isn't our man.

I'd like to see Wharton or Platt given a go. As it stands providing an opportunity to some loanee from MK Dons to try and turn the tide of our defensive woes doesn't sit well with me. It clearly mustn't sit well with TM either as any centre half with any respect would have dragged Ward off minutes after that strange feint header that landed Raya in all sorts of trouble. That's a mistake a 20 year old makes not a 30+ year old.

He needs to be replaced with real quality. Something that has been said all along.

When I watched the highlights video I thought this. Then it dawned on me that if Downing isn't good enough to unseat Ward then he definitely isn't our man.

I'd like to see Wharton or Platt given a go. As it stands providing an opportunity to some loanee from MK Dons to try and turn the tide of our defensive woes doesn't sit well with me. It clearly mustn't sit well with TM either as any centre half with any respect would have dragged Ward off minutes after that strange feint header that landed Raya in all sorts of trouble. That's a mistake a 20 year old makes not a 30+ year old.

He needs to be replaced with real quality. Something that has been said all along.

Are either of Wharton or Platt match fit ? From what I hear they've both been injured. As a club we seem to get more than our share of injuries.

Getting in a quality replacement won't happen any time soon.

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Are either of Wharton or Platt match fit ? From what I hear they've both been injured. As a club we seem to get more than our share of injuries.

Getting in a quality replacement won't happen any time soon.

Another symptom of our cost-cutting and general dumbing down of facilities, staff etc. If they can't be bothered to appoint a board what can't they be bothered to give the medical department? We've been injury plagued for years now.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Lies, damned lies and statistics....

We've got the 4th best defence in the league and the 12th best attack. It appears to be our inability to break teams down that is the major problem at the moment. 

Stats can deceive Blueboy. The goal vs Shrews for example was entirely avoided if either Raya or Ward took control. Likewise, how many unforced errors have not lead to goals because of the oppositions inability to convert them? Last season we were put to the sword game after game when we committed those errors.

I'd hazard a guess that in terms of misplaced passes and unforced errors Rovers rank fairly high - additional to that I'd guess that Ward ranks highest on our own list of errors. He's been nothing short of awful this season.

Stats can deceive Blueboy

Hence my opening line;) However, they don't deceive over a season. I'd put money on that come the end of the season we have one of the best goals against columns in the league. Unless of course Mowbray changes his approach away from home and we revert to the 4-2-3-1 we played at Southend, then we'll have one of the worst. With Lenihan and Nyambe's injury and Mowbray;s failure to get his 1st choice CB in from Motherwell I think he's trying to protect the defence as much as possible. Away from home it works a treat, at home he needs a new approach.

I'd hazard a guess that in terms of misplaced passes and unforced errors Rovers rank fairly high

Perhaps, but it's hardly a league with high quality defending. It's just that we make most teams look like they have Maldini and Baresi playing for them!

additional to that I'd guess that Ward ranks highest on our own list of errors. He's been nothing short of awful this season.

He's a liability at times but he must be doing something right if we've only conceded 1 goal away in 4 games. I'd feel happier with Lenihan back there but Ward is better in the air. Horses for courses with Ward perhaps being better when we play deep away from home. His passing is tragic though at times.

21 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

You should be aiming that question at Mowbray, he chose the squad. And since when did a manager sign a player to be 'an impact sub'? It's a squad game so if he isn't good enough to start and Mowbray doesn't trust him to start then Chapman shouldn't have been brought to the club. I doubt Boro were told he would be a sub every week. Chapman has also already played in this league for both Sheff utd and Barnsley so not really comparable to Mahoney who looked physically weak. Chapman is a quick, strong runner, nothing like Mahoney who was all feints and shoulder drops.

So you are effectively saying he will be a  success guaranteed if he starts.  I am not saying he won't just trying to point out that many folks wanted Mahoney to start and when he did was a little bit if a let down.

Just now, USABlue said:

So you are effectively saying he will be a  success guaranteed if he starts.  I am not saying he won't just trying to point out that many folks wanted Mahoney to start and when he did was a little bit if a let down.

No guarantees in anything but something has to change why not give the lad a chance... It's not NFL with impact changes lol 

Just now, USABlue said:

No, I was saying you using Mahoney as a comparison with the Chapman situation is slightly disingenuous. I explained why in the post you quoted. Chapman starting might or might not work out but if you've seen the home games this season you will know we look toothless and clueless as an attacking unit...except when Chapman is on the pitch. We have nothing to lose by playing him at home because we are losing when we don't.

55 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Lies, damned lies and statistics....

We've got the 4th best defence in the league and the 12th best attack. It appears to be our inability to break teams down that is the major problem at the moment. 

Played one game less than most though.

Still, the attacking threat in this league is far less than the championship. There's no point debating Ward IMO as we're stick with him until Lenni is back.

Archived