BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackpool match will possibly be postponed

RV Blue

Mulgrew and the sub keeper have both been called up to their national teams and presumably so will Evans, so we'll have the option of calling off the Blackpool game. In today's LT, Mowbray refered to the international break when talking about players coming back from injury, so sounds like he'll want it to be postponed.

I think that would be a bad idea for these reasons:

1) Out of the 3 players, we'll only miss Mulgrew (imo).

2) I would rather Rovers play in front of 2500 away fans than the 1000ish that would turn up on a Tuesday night.

3) I believe that it is statistically proven that it's more difficult to play away on a weekday than on a Saturday.

4) We'd have 2 games in hand which means that we could find ourselves miles behind our promotion rivals and that we'll have to play midweek games twice when we don't have to.

5) It ruins a good day out.

9 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Mulgrew and the sub keeper have both been called up to their national teams and presumably so will Evans, so we'll have the option of calling off the Blackpool game. In today's LT, Mowbray refered to the international break when talking about players coming back from injury, so sounds like he'll want it to be postponed.

2) I would rather Rovers play in front of 2500 away fans than the 1000ish that would turn up on a Tuesday night.

3) I believe that it is statistically proven that it's more difficult to play away on a weekday than on a Saturday.

4) We'd have 2 games in hand which means that we could find ourselves miles behind our promotion rivals and that we'll have to play midweek games twice when we don't have to.

We'll be well behind our rivals because we've lost 3 games and dropped 11 points already this season. If we'd had started the season well, like Shrewsbury or Bradford, then having a game or two in hand wouldn't mean we were miles behind.

Evans has now been called up so that should be that and the game will be called off later this week.

I only agree with 5). On items1) why miss anyone if you don't have to. 2)The 1000 that would turn up on a night match would be totally behind the team. 3) To say the least, I am not a great believer in statistics. 4) Win the games and it doesn't matter when you play them. 

Just now, JHRover said:

If we'd had started the season well, like Shrewsbury or Bradford, then having a game or two in hand wouldn't mean we were miles behind.

Not sure what your point it? We didn't start well, and unless we can invent a time machine, that isn't going to change.

Just now, rigger said:

I only agree with 5). On items1) why miss anyone if you don't have to. 2)The 1000 that would turn up on a night match would be totally behind the team. 3) To say the least, I am not a great believer in statistics. 4) Win the games and it doesn't matter when you play them. 

1) Because if you weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of playing it, one player isn't enough to outweigh all the other disadvantages that will come with not playing it.

2) 2500 totally behind the team is better than 1000 totally behind the team.

4) In theory yes, but we'll have a disadvantage of playing 3 games in 7 days twice, whilst most other teams will only be playing 2 games in 7 days.

8 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Not sure what your point it? We didn't start well, and unless we can invent a time machine, that isn't going to change.

My point was that if we end up well off the pace in the league it won't be because we have postponed a couple of games. It will be because we've not been good enough when we have played and have already dropped too many points.

I'm not having a couple of international callups being used as an excuse for not being in the promotion shake up. Most other clubs would love to have those options in their squads. We are right to postpone IMO and Sheffield United are proof it doesn't undermine a promotion push if you're good enough.

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/september/blackpool-fixture-to-be-rearranged/

Postponed until Tuesday 28/11 or if both sides are out of the Cup then 2/12.

Good. I struggle to compute how anyone would prefer to play with a weakened side. In fact, I think it would be beneficial to have games in hand at this point. We go into those games knowing exactly what is considered a good result. 

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/september/blackpool-fixture-to-be-rearranged/

Postponed until Tuesday 28/11 or if both sides are out of the Cup then 2/12.

At least the dates make sense, if it is on the Tuesday, our players will be tired for an FA Cup game rather than a League game on the Saturday. Still think it should have gone ahead though.

If anyone is looking for a lift on the Tuesday(Blackpool) , I will be traveling from Rochdale via Whitworth,shawforth,Bacup ,Rawtenstall ,Haslingden then on the M65 same route back ,going to see if I can finish at 5.30 to make it a bit easier but its only just over a hour for me ....

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Good. I struggle to compute how anyone would prefer to play with a weakened side. In fact, I think it would be beneficial to have games in hand at this point. We go into those games knowing exactly what is considered a good result. 

It would be beneficial to have games in hand because we are playing rubbish now. 

7 hours ago, RV Blue said:

3 is rubbish because I can count the number of midweek league games we have won over the last few years on one hand.

Archived