BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Town - 13/1/18

Just now, JHRover said:

Its not a 2 game swing though. It would be 3 games, assuming Scunthorpe and Bradford didn't win theirs, and assuming we went on a winning run. Even then we probably wouldn't be in the top 2, but would be back in 'contention' for it.

We'd be back in the mix with a 2-game swing - which can easily happen at any level in football. Very few teams go through an entire season without tripping up at some stage. Then you get to the end of the season and it's a question of which team holds its nerve. The point is, defeat today in my view is not the end of the world as some people seem to think. Nor is a draw a "bad result" either. There will be plenty of twists and turns before May and there's been many examples of teams throwing away big points advantages with a lot fewer than 60 points to play for. In the grand scheme of it, a gap of 8 points is not insurmountable. 

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree, I think a draw is a bad result. Maybe not the end of the world but still disappointing. I think any home game we fail to win at this level is disappointing.

In our position the home games vs rivals are the difference makers. We win them and we're right in there, don't win them and they've overcome a big hurdle by coming to Ewood and not losing.

Fail to win today and the gap to 2nd remains significant, whilst the gap to 1st could be insurmountable, we could drop below Scunny and Bradford and it would be 1 win in 5 games - not good enough for this club.

Got to win today, I'd go for the throat from the off. Press them high and try to crush them.  They could leave Ewood with their confidence shattered & us breathing down their necks.

Player for player we are a much better outfit. We turned over Brentford last season with a weaker side than we have now..

We should be the team to pop their bubble! 

One thing about playing Shrews is you can see what you're going to get. They're a well organised, durable , settled team that play to a simple but effective recognised pattern of play. They remind of the Dingles when they had Vokes and Ings  playing up front. Everybody knows their role in the team and they're in that position because their skill set fits the position. No square pegs in round holes . No real stars either but a very hard working side who believe in their system of play. They're patient and are quite ready to play for the full 90 minutes without panicking if it's 0-0.

I'm expecting a tough game because we aren't like that. We don't play for 60 minutes never mind 90  and  the team changes every week for all sorts of reasons. We'll probably have to play better today than we have previously this season. If we can do that we can turn them over. If we score first they won't have had much experience of playing from behind and it'll be interesting to see how they react. 

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

One thing about playing Shrews is you can see what you're going to get. They're a well organised, durable , settled team that play to a simple but effective recognised pattern of play. They remind of the Dingles when they had Vokes and Ings  playing up front. Everybody knows their role in the team and they're in that position because their skill set fits the position. No square pegs in round holes . No real stars either but a very hard working side who believe in their system of play. They're patient and are quite ready to play for the full 90 minutes without panicking if it's 0-0.

I'm expecting a tough game because we aren't like that. We don't play for 60 minutes never mind 90  and  the team changes every week for all sorts of reasons. We'll probably have to play better today than we have previously this season. If we can do that we can turn them over. If we score first they won't have had much experience of playing from behind and it'll be interesting to see how they react. 

It would also be interesting to see how we react if we go in front. We certainly can't defend a lead by sitting back and inviting the opposition on (see Scunthorpe and Rotherham amongst many others)

Can't see many goals today at all , they would be quite happy , and quite capable ,  of getting a 0-0 .... We have to get at them early , score and then draw them out 

Still battling the lurgey but will be making my way to Ewood shortly.

A win would be a fantastic result and I'm hoping the Shrews are tired from their recent exploits.

Keep it tight, bring Graham on after 55-60 mins, a decent battling midfield display for once please.

Rovers 2-1. COYB

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Defeat today is not fatal - there'd still be 60 points to play for, and a gap of 8 points can easily be made up. We're in a good position and there is all to play for even if we get a setback today. 

Can’t agree with that Jim. Sounds like someone is gearing up for defeat today. Hope Mowbray doesn’t share your opinion.

If we lose today then we are relying on the play-offs. We simple don’t capitalise when Wigan or Shrewsbury slip up.

12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

If we lose today then we are relying on the play-offs. We simple don’t capitalise when Wigan or Shrewsbury slip up.

That's not strictly true Stuart: after being miles behind those 2 we pegged them back to being within a couple of points. We then contrived to throw 6 points away over the Christmas period to widen the gap once again.

We need to win today first and foremost but as has been said previously, it would whet all our appetites if we were to win and play well and throw down a marker for the remainder of the season.

No fear!! COYB!!

3 minutes ago, Preben said:

I've been bombarded with emails urging me to buy a ticket for this match, good too BRFC being proactive.

Is anyone on here going to this match that would not normally attend a home game?

No. We support through thick and thin

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

I disagree, I think a draw is a bad result. Maybe not the end of the world but still disappointing. I think any home game we fail to win at this level is disappointing.

In our position the home games vs rivals are the difference makers. We win them and we're right in there, don't win them and they've overcome a big hurdle by coming to Ewood and not losing.

Fail to win today and the gap to 2nd remains significant, whilst the gap to 1st could be insurmountable, we could drop below Scunny and Bradford and it would be 1 win in 5 games - not good enough for this club.

So you expect us to win all 23 home games - entirely unrealistic. Football doesn't work like that, and you're going to be disappointed alot. Even the best teams teams have off days. I must say you do have a very entitled view, the sort that fans of other clubs would say is arrogance. Fact is we're in this league for a reason - we have no right to win any games, home or away. 

9 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

That's not strictly true Stuart: after being miles behind those 2 we pegged them back to being within a couple of points. We then contrived to throw 6 points away over the Christmas period to widen the gap once again.

We need to win today first and foremost but as has been said previously, it would whet all our appetites if we were to win and play well and throw down a marker for the remainder of the season.

No fear!! COYB!!

Of course it’s not strictly true, it’s my opinion.

8 points is a massive gap at this stage of the season. We would be relying on a total capitulation by either Wigan or Shrewsbury. Just don’t see it happening.

Today is a must win for me. Anything else and we are fighting for a play-off final place.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

That's the spirit ! With fans like this, who needs etc etc

I've watched the Rovers on 78 different grounds over the last 50 odd years but, at my age, sitting in a cold soulless ground and driving a couple of hours in each direction no longer appeals.

Just now, Preben said:

I've watched the Rovers on 78 different grounds over the last 50 odd years but, at my age, sitting in a cold soulless ground and driving a couple of hours in each direction no longer appeals.

Fair enough. You've done your time. 

Archived