BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

48 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Pretty much? 

Yes, the inert Football League sat on the information whilst Leicester romped their way to promotion and then a few years later decided to sanction them by way of a miniscule fine. Pretty much getting away with it.

Technically they didn't get away with it because they were found guilty and punished but the punishment was so utterly insignificant and pointless that it might as well not have been handed down. Still it probably kept the League coffers topped up for a year or two.

If the consequence of breaking the rules and succeeding in reaching the promised land of £100 million a year tv money is a £3 million one off fine then its a waste of time.

Just now, JHRover said:

Yes, the inert Football League sat on the information whilst Leicester romped their way to promotion and then a few years later decided to sanction them by way of a miniscule fine. Pretty much getting away with it.

Technically they didn't get away with it because they were found guilty and punished but the punishment was so utterly insignificant and pointless that it might as well not have been handed down. Still it probably kept the League coffers topped up for a year or two.

If the consequence of breaking the rules and succeeding in reaching the promised land of £100 million a year tv money is a £3 million one off fine then its a waste of time.

Lucky them that they got promoted. A lot of clubs avoid it by going up. Villa failed at that though it seems

QPR didn't get off very lightly either 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/10/24/qpr-ordered-pay-world-record-40million-ffp-fine-losing-three/ 

Norwich City, Derby County, Birmingham City and Sheffield Wednesday all having to tighten their belts as well. 

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/qpr-settle-ffp-dispute-with-efl/

Absolutely disgraceful.

So the '£40 million' fine people have been clinging to is actually only going to be £17 million (less than 50% of what the rules say it should be) and they've an embargo for the January window (when few clubs do serious business anyway.

Once again a club getting off lightly.

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/qpr-settle-ffp-dispute-with-efl/

Absolutely disgraceful.

So the '£40 million' fine people have been clinging to is actually only going to be £17 million (less than 50% of what the rules say it should be) and they've an embargo for the January window (when few clubs do serious business anyway.

Once again a club getting off lightly.

A £17 million fine in the Championship is pretty serious ,along with a transfer ban in January. Hugely effects them this season. I wouldn't be surprised if they go down 

Edit, wait a second. Your link doesn't work. It says £42 million here

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6876475/qpr-efl-ffp-settlement-transfer-embargo/ 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

A £17 million fine in the Championship is pretty serious ,along with a transfer ban in January. Hugely effects them this season. I wouldn't be surprised if they go down 

A £17 million fine is serious, but not as serious as it should be. Why have the league accepted a punishment of less than half what it should be? A £40 million fine may well have crippled them for years. A £17 million fine is probably the equivalent to less than 12 months of losses.

All a January ban achieves is stopping them from adding to their squad mid-season, when most clubs don't do it anyway. Conveniently for them they still have a couple of weeks to do some business to prepare themselves for that.

So once again a club has got away lightly.

Also worth noting that this fine is going to be spread over a number of years to enable them to pay it back in convenient instalments rather than being forced into a fire sale to generate funds.

Just now, JHRover said:

A £17 million fine is serious, but not as serious as it should be. Why have the league accepted a punishment of less than half what it should be? A £40 million fine may well have crippled them for years. A £17 million fine is probably the equivalent to less than 12 months of losses.

All a January ban achieves is stopping them from adding to their squad mid-season, when most clubs don't do it anyway. Conveniently for them they still have a couple of weeks to do some business to prepare themselves for that.

So once again a club has got away lightly.

Also worth noting that this fine is going to be spread over a number of years to enable them to pay it back in convenient instalments rather than being forced into a fire sale to generate funds.

Its not less than half. It is 17 million plus they have to cover the legal fees of 3 million. So its half. I would have preferred if it was 40 million too, but you were saying clubs don't get punished, well QPR have def been punished. I don't think they could have survived if they had to pay is all off at once, have they any players worth selling? 

Can you imagine the negative barrel we would be staring down this season if we had just been fined 20 million and were banned from signing players in January? It would not be a happy place on here. I think a 20 million fine will make clubs think twice about how they manage their finances. 

The QPR link provided by  JHR works fine for me.

The level of fine now payable by QPR is less than half the original. The EFL expenses a completely separate matter.

Does anyone know what happens to such 'fines' apart from paying for Shaun Harvey's annual bonus, car and lunch expenses a/c.

If it is put back into 'football' no doubt detailed accounting is available...........

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Its not less than half. It is 17 million plus they have to cover the legal fees of 3 million. So its half. I would have preferred if it was 40 million too, but you were saying clubs don't get punished, well QPR have def been punished. I don't think they could have survived if they had to pay is all off at once, have they any players worth selling? 

Can you imagine the negative barrel we would be staring down this season if we had just been fined 20 million and were banned from signing players in January? It would not be a happy place on here. I think a 20 million fine will make clubs think twice about how they manage their finances. 

Legal costs would have been stuck on regardless of how much the fine was. If they were fined £40 million they would still have had to pay legal costs on top of that so it is less than half of what it should have been had the rules been applied to the letter.

They've been punished, but only after about 4 years of wrangling and the punishment is less than what is should be. They've had the benefit of hundreds of millions in tv revenues since then from promotion.

An embargo isn't actually an embargo either. They can still sign players provided they fall below a certain wage and certain criteria.

The rules have been in place for several years and yet we've still seen Wolves, Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Bournemouth, Leicester and QPR ignoring them and spending vast sums of money. No indication of them thinking twice. QPR would have got away with it too had they managed to survive like Bournemouth and Leicester did.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

The QPR link provided by  JHR works fine for me.

The level of fine now payable by QPR is less than half the original. The EFL expenses a completely separate matter.

Does anyone know what happens to such 'fines' apart from paying for Shaun Harvey's annual bonus, car and lunch expenses a/c.

If it is put back into 'football' no doubt detailed accounting is available...........

Separate, but they still have to pay it, bringing the amount they have to pay to £20 million. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Legal costs would have been stuck on regardless of how much the fine was. If they were fined £40 million they would still have had to pay legal costs on top of that so it is less than half of what it should have been had the rules been applied to the letter.

They've been punished, but only after about 4 years of wrangling and the punishment is less than what is should be. They've had the benefit of hundreds of millions in tv revenues since then from promotion.

An embargo isn't actually an embargo either. They can still sign players provided they fall below a certain wage and certain criteria.

The rules have been in place for several years and yet we've still seen Wolves, Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Bournemouth, Leicester and QPR ignoring them and spending vast sums of money. No indication of them thinking twice. QPR would have got away with it too had they managed to survive like Bournemouth and Leicester did.

Have they? They got relegated after 1 season 

Better if it was the full whack, but still substantial. I see a tough season ahead for them. One of the favorites to go down now 

Don't forget that in the last 3-4 seasons while this has been going on, they have been carrying out massive cost cutting and signed practically no one. 

They have been held accountable for what they did. I would imagine some other clubs are getting worried. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Have they? They got relegated after 1 season 

Better if it was the full whack, but still substantial. I see a tough season ahead for them. One of the favorites to go down now 

Don't forget that in the last 3-4 seasons while this has been going on, they have been carrying out massive cost cutting and signed practically no one. 

They have been held accountable for what they did. I would imagine some other clubs are getting worried. 

How much do you get from 1 season in the Premier League? It was 100 million+ last time I checked.

I don't see how this punishment will change their preparations for the season. They've a mediocre squad and manager that is expected to struggle with or without a fine/embargo. No suggestion yet they can or will have to sell anyone to pay this fine.

Notice that this fine is exempt from future calculations so their owner can pay it off in instalments and it won't count towards future FFP.

Just now, JHRover said:

How much do you get from 1 season in the Premier League? It was 100 million+ last time I checked.

I don't see how this punishment will change their preparations for the season. They've a mediocre squad and manager that is expected to struggle with or without a fine/embargo. No suggestion yet they can or will have to sell anyone to pay this fine.

Notice that this fine is exempt from future calculations so their owner can pay it off in instalments and it won't count towards future FFP.

over 10 years apparently

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

over 10 years apparently

I suspect that the EFL wanted out of the dispute and got QPR to name the terms.

The EFL make up and change their rules and punishments on a whim.

If the in-season FFP punishments come about it will be interesting to see how they are applied as the EFL in tow with the PL strive to make the Championship into the PL2.

It will not be fair of that I am sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we'd have been fined £20 million it might have finally encouraged the Chicken Chokers to sell up and Kean off.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, scotchrover said:

Leeds are close to singing Bamford for around £7 million. That’s a not a bad price, considering what some players are moving for!

24 now and hasn't really lived up the hype that was around him earlier in his career. Hasn't had what you could call a standout season at any level 

When you see deals like this it really puts into perspective the masterstroke of a signing Dack was 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Bamford is clearly way more talented than Sam Gallagher for example. He did have good loan spells at mk dons and derby and he had a great season at Boro on loan.  He’s done more than Dack in his career, although he has stalled a bit recently. Personally I would have been delighted had we signed him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

Bamford is clearly way more talented than Sam Gallagher for example. He did have good loan spells at mk dons and derby and he had a great season at Boro on loan.  He’s done more than Dack in his career, although he has stalled a bit recently. Personally I would have been delighted had we signed him.

No, he hasn't done more than Dack. Winning league 1 player of the year twice is better than being a championship journeyman 

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

A left back and an unproven striker massively improve them? They must have been bad last season 

Douglas in particular, a wing back with the most assists in the league last year. Definitely a big improvement. Cant think of any better players in the league in that position.

Bamford im unconvinced about but he was won the player of the season in this league before, and has a good goal record in it. Compared to the rubbish they had in that position last season.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Douglas in particular, a wing back with the most assists in the league last year. Definitely a big improvement. Cant think of any better players in the league in that position.

Bamford im unconvinced about but he was won the player of the season in this league before, and has a good goal record in it. Compared to the rubbish they had in that position last season.

Jesus they did well to get him for 3 million do. Would wolves not keep him if he was so good? 

When did Bamford win player of the season? 

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

A left back and an unproven striker massively improve them? They must have been bad last season 

Two players who have proven in recent years to be good Championship players. Both won promotion to the Premier League. Meanwhile we're trying to borrow some kids who have hardly played anywhere.