BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

Blackburn Rovers is a major part of my life, part of who I am. I’ve lived and breathed the club everyday since being about 6 years old. I watch them home and away, I know dozens of like minded folk and it is our absolute passion.

England, don’t give them much thought, but do enjoy watching the summer tournaments and hope they do well.

So why on earth would I prefer success for that team over the betterment of Blackburn Rovers? I just don’t think of that institution in the way I do the Rovers. 

It’s not a binary choice, both co-exist, but there’s only ever one winner in my life.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

Just now, Mattyblue said:

It’s not a binary choice, both co-exist, but there’s only ever one winner in my life.

No doubt but the question was a binary one.

Every single football player would see winning the World Cup as the pinnacle of their career. How can fans not feel the same way?

Wanting success for your club as much as wanting your national team to do well is natural but not instead of - although I could see a moral argument if every Rovers player lived no further away than Houghton or Great Harwood.

The World Cup is a rarity. You could live 80 years and have 79 years of prioritising Rovers success and 1 year for England. That’s surely not too much to ask.

28 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I hope that you get to see an England WC win Stuart.

I saw '66, and have never forgotten that day and I often think back to it. Youtube is great for such recall.

It took years before improved technology could give a view on Hurst's 2nd goal, by which time the original film had obviously been 'got at'.....<_<

Hand on heart I didn't think all the ball was over the line at the time.

Just now, Stuart said:

No doubt but the question was a binary one.

Every single football player would see winning the World Cup as the pinnacle of their career. How can fans not feel the same way?

Wanting success for your club as much as wanting your national team to do well is natural but not instead of - although I could see a moral argument if every Rovers player lived no further away than Houghton or Great Harwood.

The World Cup is a rarity. You could live 80 years and have 79 years of prioritising Rovers success and 1 year for England. That’s surely not too much to ask.

I would say most on here would share my view, as would most Rovers fans I know. 

Players are largely mercenaries, so of course they would see the World Cup over success for one of the half dozen clubs they flit between.

To be honest, until this debate got going I assumed most ‘proper’ club fans, I.e not those that come out of the woodwork for a £10 Oxford ticket or those plonkers walking around in United shirts were of my view too, a fair assumption to make considering the ZERO interest in the England team until a month ago, so I’ve learnt something from this thread.

Yes, proper fans. 

Not a glory hunting United fan who’s never been to Old Trafford, so he’s no real connection to his club side.

Or someone with a loose connection to Rovers, who doesn’t really give them much thought, but as they are the local team would identify with the club.

Those two types of person I would expect to put England World Cup over club success.

Alternatively, Rovers nuts, like the saddos posting on a club forum on a Saturday night - vice versa.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You are happy with Rovers in the PL (not even winning the thing) but in return England never win the World Cup?

The world has gone mad.

Genuinely astonished.

I'm astonished you're astonished! ☺

I would have thought most people would prefer one or the other but wouldn't expect there to be unanimous agreement by any means.

Is it the "getting to the Premiership" bit you Don't like (and therefore facing a grim battle for survival every season)?

What if the alternative were a 2nd Premier League title or fairly regular Champions League football etc?

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Hand on heart I didn't think all the ball was over the line at the time.

Long time ago but as I recall I did not think, at the time, that it was over the line but rather it bounced more or less on it and then the spin took it out.

Replays were never clear for ages but since then I've seen those showing it over, doctored or not I don't know.

Back then the fact that Hunt, who was closest to the incident, immediately celebrated a goal was taken as enough evidence ... lol

I think maybe good fortune and that linesman favoured us that day.

Mind you Hurst's hit and hope 3rd sealed it and looked a cracker.

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm astonished you're astonished! ☺

I would have thought most people would prefer one or the other but wouldn't expect there to be unanimous agreement by any means.

Is it the "getting to the Premiership" bit you Don't like (and therefore facing a grim battle for survival every season)?

What if the alternative were a 2nd Premier League title or fairly regular Champions League football etc?

Like I said Rev, the goalposts keep moving on this one.

But I guess yes, the bit in bold is where I was. The original version was promotion for Rovers (generically) rather than England winning the World Cup. Which is like getting a new job at work or your dad winning the lottery.

Would I choose Rovers to win the PL a second time in my lifetime or England winning the World Cup once in my lifetime - a straight binary choice? I’ll take England winning the WC and will carry on following Rovers whichever league they are in. Like any other non-proper fan.

The original choice was Rovers winning promotion ( I presume in this coming season) or England Winning the World Cup this year in 2018.

I watched the 1966 final on TV. I would love England to win another World Cup. And for me to see it. I agree with Stuart. I can see exactly what he means.

Rather than promotion, I would love to see Rovers win another F A Cup. I doubt they will do in my lifetime.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Rivers winning the PL or England the WC?

I'd go for the former every time.

But if it was a choice of WC or another Rovers promotion in my lifetime I would chose the WC because Rovers will go on once I have gone ?

I hope both you and rovers go on for many more years Shaun. In the case of the club as long as the Chicken Chokers are in charge we'll remain in the intensive care ward.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

On 13/07/2018 at 21:27, RoversClitheroe said:

Would you rather Rovers promoted this season or England won the world cup? 

Personally I'd rather we got promoted. 

No question about it. Rovers promotion. England is a minor distraction every couple of years. 

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 20:27, RoversClitheroe said:

Would you rather Rovers promoted this season or England won the world cup? 

Personally I'd rather we got promoted. 

I would rather have Rovers win their first game, than England win the world cup

6 hours ago, Paul said:

No question about it. Rovers promotion. England is a minor distraction every couple of years. 

And yet you are full of admiration for French fans celebrating their team’s victory.

Minor distraction indeed.

Edited by Stuart

55 minutes ago, Stuart said:

And yet you are full of admiration for French fans celebrating their team’s victory.

Minor distraction indeed.

Admiration is the wrong word. I said it was a huge party and great to see so many people enjoying themselves. We are staying 500 metres from the party and went to watch twice. Wouldn’t have missed the chance - just like I took the chance to be in the fanzone in 2016 when I was in Reykjavik  

It took us about ten minutes to shrug off the England defeat. How well or badly England do isn’t a concern for me. 

Rovers performing well enough to gain promotion will give me pleasure and excitement over 46 games and nine months. No contest. 

This season it could potentially wipe out our debts and would return us to what most see as our rightful place in the PL. 

England winning the World Cup pales in to insignificance. So yes a minor, very minor, distraction for me as an individual. 

It’s possible to be pleased for others while not caring oneself. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Paul said:

Admiration is the wrong word. I said it was a huge party and great to see so many people enjoying themselves. We are staying 500 metres from the party and went to watch twice. Wouldn’t have missed the chance - just like I took the chance to be in the fanzone in 2016 when I was in Reykjavik  

It took us about ten minutes to shrug off the England defeat. How well or badly England do isn’t a concern for me. 

Rovers performing well enough to gain promotion will give me pleasure and excitement over 46 games and nine months. No contest. 

This season it could potentially wipe out our debts and would return us to what most see as our rightful place in the PL. 

England winning the World Cup pales in to insignificance. So yes a minor, very minor, distraction for me as an individual. 

It’s possible to be pleased for others while not caring oneself. 

Would it have taken 10 minutes to shrug off an England World Cup win? If so you need to check your lineage. Might be some Scottish blood in you.

• Like 1

Rovers back o

in the Prem would be amazing but I'd take Rovers being in the championship for the rest of my days for a world cup win. 

A world cup is huge, an entire country going bezerk!!!

But as the latter will never happen in my lifetime I'll settle for Rovers agoing up ?

Edited by Rover_Shaun

Back in the day maybe when it was Shearer, Batty, Le Saux, Sherwood, Flowers etc but not until the England team is full of Rovers players, which ain't gonna happen soon, I'd take Rovers struggling in the Prem over England winning any trophy.

On 16/07/2018 at 17:29, Stuart said:

Would it have taken 10 minutes to shrug off an England World Cup win? If so you need to check your lineage. Might be some Scottish blood in you.

You're capable of better responses than this Stuart, though I'm not surprised by your reaction these days. In my immediate family I'm English, everyone else qualifies for British, Ukranian and Italian passports and citizenship, so we have a broad outlook on life.

As for shrugging off a win? My most recent experience is about 12 hours. I've been in Nice and Marseille since France won the World Cup. Fantastic celebrations in Nice from about 30 minutes after full time. We were present off and on for five hours - I'd estimate 1% to be football fans. By 1.00am it had quietened down considerably. By 8.00am Monday nothing in Nice to suggest France were winners, by the time we hit Marseille at 1.00pm Monday again no indication France are World Champions. All the flags, bunting etc. gone.

You're apparently happy to sacrifice Rovers promotion and possible prosperity for at most 7-8 hours driving around hanging out of car windows, tooting horns and waving flags. That's how long it lasts given my direct experience this week. Given the straight choice the question asked I'm not. I'd have been pleased if England had won, not that we were close to good enough, but sacrifice promotion? Never. 

• Like 3

On 17/07/2018 at 08:33, DeeCee said:

Back in the day maybe when it was Shearer, Batty, Le Saux, Sherwood, Flowers etc but not until the England team is full of Rovers players, which ain't gonna happen soon, I'd take Rovers struggling in the Prem over England winning any trophy.

Sherwood never got picked till he went to Spurs!

Would 4 at one time be the most we ever had in the England side of that time or was it maybe only 3?

Ripley and Wilcox got capped but not much!