BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

37 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's what some fans can't get their head around. The cost of a player joining doesn't stop at the transfer fee. Grabban would have been a great signing, but he is on more than anyone else. If it doesn't work out then, you have the comparisons to the players you mention 

Plus, he is 30. No resale value. 

Exactly. 

Grabban wages are well above our wage structure. Our top earner is probably on 16 to 18k per week. Grabban wages are 30k plus a week. 

Very unlikely we would sign someone like him cos of wages demands, no resale value and age. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Exactly. 

Grabban wages are well above our wage structure. Our top earner is probably on 16 to 18k per week. Grabban wages are 30k plus a week. 

Very unlikely we would sign someone like him cos of wages demands, no resale value and age. 

Villa and Forrest are gambling. If they go up, that's fine, but they will eventually hit a wall doing what they do in the championship 

Not soon enough in my opinion. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

31 minutes ago, Biz said:

Agree - he is a key figure on the pitch and in the dressing room.

I also think we have to use him sparingly - a long term injury or problem to him at the moment could derail us or force a complete change in setup.

Then it comes back round to the problem of imbalanced recruitment, if we are unable to do that on the assumption that Mowbray doesnt see Brereton as a striker, in the absence of any back up. I'd like to think that Mowbray is coming around to the idea that Brereton can be played centrally when Graham is unavailable.

That being said, I think we underestimate Grahams fitness. Look at that incredible run he did right at the end yesterday, out sprinting his man with the added barrier of needing to run around the linesman. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Exactly. 

Whilst it seems fairly sure that Grabbans wages are perhaps beyond us, your assumptions on our top earners are total unsubstantiated guesses.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Then it comes back round to the problem of imbalanced recruitment, if we are unable to do that on the assumption that Mowbray doesnt see Brereton as a striker, in the absence of any back up. I'd like to think that Mowbray is coming around to the idea that Brereton can be played centrally when Graham is unavailable.

That being said, I think we underestimate Grahams fitness. Look at that incredible run he did right at the end yesterday, out sprinting his man with the added barrier of needing to run around the linesman. 

Whilst it seems fairly sure that Grabbans wages are perhaps beyond us, your assumptions on our top earners are total unsubstantiated guesses.

He doesn't see him as a striker now, but long term. Years ago managers would have had time to do this, now we can all have our say and get worked up into a tizzy about stuff we disagree with! 

If Grabban is on 30-35 Gs, that is certainly more than Mulgrew is on. I'd say he is our top earner. 28-30 I reckon 

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He doesn't see him as a striker now, but long term. Years ago managers would have had time to do this, now we can all have our say and get worked up into a tizzy about stuff we disagree with! 

If Grabban is on 30-35 Gs, that is certainly more than Mulgrew is on. I'd say he is our top earner. 28-30 I reckon 

Mulgrew was on 14k last season with DG and Evans as top earners. No way they’ve been doubled up.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Imbalanced recruitment, or just unrealistic expectations of our recruitment?

You point me out a striker as good as DG at what he does, available on on a similar decent wage in this division. I don’t share the expectation that we could've replaced him, Conway, Mulgrew et al in one foul swoop with a limited budget.

A similar example was hooked by the Sheff Weds manager at HT yesterday- Fletcher, who is reportedly on 40/50k a week. 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Totally missing the point I am making. If we dont have a direct alternative AT THE MOMENT, ie Brereton and Armstrong are not considered to be strikers in the here and now, then we have less room to manoeuvre in terms of resting and managing Grahams game time.

Its nothing to do with what you perceive to be a sudden generation of impatience as to the point I was making. I'm sure people years and years ago used to complain about things in the same way, but not via the method of a messageboard.

Grabban is reportedly on a big contract and may well be out of our wage bracket, but the key word is "reckon" we dont have the foggiest really in terms of how much players earn.

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yes my opinions based on the last accounts and the type of players we signed during Mowbray time here and what Mowbray and Waggott have said about then wage structure. The last accounts show wages were 22 million. Thats was the season we went down. 

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I cant see Mulgrew being on that much. Around 18k I think is right. 

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Exactly. 

If they go up it's money well spent. The mentality you are pushing is the reason why the Dingles are second from bottom of the Prem. Brereton may be on less money but we won't be paying the £7 million over the next year or two with magic beans.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 minutes ago, Biz said:

Mulgrew was on 14k last season with DG and Evans as top earners. No way they’ve been doubled up.

You point me out a striker as good as DG at what he does, available on on a similar decent wage in this division. I don’t share the expectation that we could've replaced him, Conway, Mulgrew et al in one foul swoop with a limited budget.

A similar example was hooked by the Sheff Weds manager at HT yesterday- Fletcher, who is reportedly on 40/50k a week. 

I never said we can get anyone as good as Graham. But just an alternative would be good. I feel like we already have one...

My choice of alternative would be Brereton, a striker who may not be up to Grahams standards, but someone with Championship experience and plenty of potential.

And just because I dont have a list of potential signings doesnt mean that it warrants or justifies your point.

6 minutes ago, Biz said:

Was Mulgrew "only" on that much? When he signed I read it was on 28,000 a week. He had a relegation release clause, but I assumed that was bumped up 

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

On top of all that I thought all three finishes were easy to miss. The first he had no forward momentum and had to hit from a standing position with some power to beat a couple of lunges. For the second, ones off the post are awful as body and feet position need adjusting in a split second. A top class finisher giving a masterclass.

I was a bit surprised it was his first hat trick in ten years though.

Yeah, you'd have to have played a bit to know that. None of them were all that easy. Ask that guy at the Dingles v Newcastle on Monday !

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Totally missing the point I am making. If we dont have a direct alternative AT THE MOMENT, ie Brereton and Armstrong are not considered to be strikers in the here and now, then we have less room to manoeuvre in terms of resting and managing Grahams game time.

Its nothing to do with what you perceive to be a sudden generation of impatience as to the point I was making. I'm sure people years and years ago used to complain about things in the same way, but not via the method of a messageboard.

Grabban is reportedly on a big contract and may well be out of our wage bracket, but the key word is "reckon" we dont have the foggiest really in terms of how much players earn.

I don't disagree that we need a replacment for Graham right now. The thing is he is doing the business more often than not. There isn't a huge need for Brereton to immediately be able to start and relegate DG to the bench 

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If they go up it's money well spent. The mentality you are pushing is the reason why the Dingles are second from bottom of the Prem. Brereton may be on less money but we won't be paying the £7 million over the next year of two with magic beans.

If they do. They haven't in a few seasons now even though they have spent the money. 

We don't need Brereton to start right now. DG is doing the business 

I don't disagree that we need a replacment for Graham right now. The thing is he is doing the business more often than not. There isn't a huge need for Brereton to immediately be able to start and relegate DG to the bench 

Just as well isn't it because the lad is nowhere near ready to replace Graham.

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I was responding to biz who mentioned using him sparingly. I also said that I think hes been excellent and his fitness is better than we give him credit for. Graham being first choice is not down to a lack of alternative or a slight on anyone else, its because hes been one of our key players all season.

All I ever wanted at the moment is Brereton to be second choice in that when Graham isnt available, but based on recent selections and also recent quotes I dont think he is.

• Like 1

Apprentices are in every job, why not football? 

I'm coming around to rewire your house tomorrow - do you want me to do the job or my 19 yr old apprentice ?

Listen, me and you aren't going to agree on this. I think the club have dropped a big bollock with this signing, you think he's a star in the making.

In time one of us will be proven right. Let's leave it at that shall we ? I've got a fence to Creosote.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm coming around to rewire your house tomorrow - do you want me to do the job or my 19 yr old apprentice ?

Listen, me and you aren't going to agree on this. I think the club have dropped a big bollock with this signing, you think he's a star in the making.

In time one of us will be proven right. Let's leave it at that shall we ? I've got a fence to Creosote.

Well stop replying and get painting ...

34 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If they go up it's money well spent. The mentality you are pushing is the reason why the Dingles are second from bottom of the Prem. Brereton may be on less money but we won't be paying the £7 million over the next year or two with magic beans.

Big if tho. 

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You’re welcome to that opinion but Jesus Christ I hope the backroom staff have a bit more patience!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think Brereton will be star. Graham says he is working with Brereton every day in training. 

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I believe what I posted is about right. 

Remember Mowbray's comment at The supporters meeting that he said Dack isnt near the top earner here. 

35 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Ha ha 

Nice analogy. You see Mowbray is a working class man like ourselves, therfore he isn't sending Brereton to do the job, he's sending the qualified tradesmen in Graham. But you do need qualified apprentices