BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I think its perhaps overanalysing it to put it down to his mental strength, to be honest.

I dont recall any booing really towards him, I didnt go to Birmingham in the cup though but sarcastic cheering and the odd boo is hardly a new phenomenon

I also dont think the fans have particularly high expectations either. Rovers fans get overly excited when we are anywhere in the top half of the Championship these days.

Again, it's not just Ben Brereton's mental strength, and our fans fickleness (or lack thereof) doesn't just directly affect Ben Brereton, but more subtly affects everything in much less drastic ways. 

He was booed at Birmingham and it was silly. Sam Gallagher had a much worse game in my opinion. Yes it's not a new phenonmenon, especially at Rovers, but it still has an affect.

I think we do have high expectations but again yes, your example there would show the opposite, whilst some of my examples show my point of view. That's a discussion I'm happy to have my mind changed on. It's a great point really, we do seem to see much more over excitement over 7th/8th position these days than ever before.

12 minutes ago, JoeH said:

That's not an attack, it's not a dig, it's just a viewpoint, and whilst you're welcome to disagree with me, I don't really think your current narrative is productive. 

It’s been very productive, as your initial post was miles off beam to the realities of the Rovers fanbase, you’ve now toned it down to a more realistic view.

Edited by Mattyblue

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Look at opinions based around Tony Mowbray for my favourite example of our fickleness, including my own fickleness. On three separate occasions over the last few years I've been so confident in my opinion that Mogga's time was coming to a close here, but on each of those occasions I ended up changing my mind, as have countless other members of our supporter base. Just listen to conversations on the way out of the stadium between friends and families, you hear that extreme end of opinion every week. One week we're shite and the next we're amazing.

We are fickle. It's not a dig, it simply means we change our minds a lot. It's not always a bad thing or something not to be proud of. If it wasn't for our higher expectations, we'd still have Gary Bowyer at the helm. We wanted more when he got us 8th, we wanted higher and that's great. It can be a very positive characteristic. I mean look at Leeds United. Christ, they fight at the top of this table every year because whenever they don't, the fans turn. If Bielsa doesn't get them up, they'll be calling for his head - in fact a significant portion of Leeds fans did call for his head at the end of the 18/19 season. 

Tom Lawrence: goal and an assist off the bench in a 3-0 win over Charlton at Ewood, "he's great", misses a sitter against Burnley, "he's shite". In REALITY he was average, but due to that trait which I keep banging on about, we as a fan base over react both positively and negatively to players, performances, managers, club choices etc...

We as a club have been hurt in the last decade, and we have every right to feel not only hard done by, but also to feel untrusting. 

Opinion online on forums and indeed the crazy world of twitter etc is totally different, indeed even at the lower points during Mowbrays reign there has never been close to a outcry for his head. The worst its got being either against Doncaster or away at Oldham after relegation when even then it was more youre not fit to wear the shirt at the players.

Again even with Bowyer it was very supportive throughout at the ground really, opinions moreso again online became more split the season after when it was clear that we had spurned 2 key chances and the wheels started to fall off with an embargo etc but there was never calling for his head at the ground.

You also mention fickleness specific to Rovers then go on to suggest the same for Leeds. And also seemingly imply that the Brereton booing was wrong moreso because of who it was aimed at!

Just now, Mattyblue said:

It’s been very productive, as your initial post was miles off beam to the realities of the Rovers fanbase, you’ve now toned it down to a more realistic view.

I don't find your current position to be productive, as instead of discussing the fan base and their levels of judgement, we're just discussing pedantic wording and semantics. It's silly and even now during COVID-19 lockdown, I don't have time for that. Surely you don't either.

I think the overall topic is productive though and I hope you can see I'm definitely open to other viewpoints on this, there's a lot of clear evidence been put forward, especially by @roversfan99 which has certainly changed my mind on things. But again, arguing semantics and trying to say I'm "attacking the fan base" is far from fun or productive.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You also mention fickleness specific to Rovers then go on to suggest the same for Leeds. And also seemingly imply that the Brereton booing was wrong moreso because of who it was aimed at!

Leeds and Rovers are similar club sizes, the fickleness I've been discussing from minute one has always been described by myself as appropriate for all larger clubs with higher expectations and richer histories.

The Brereton booing at Birmingham wasn't wrong because of who it was aimed at, it was just WEIRD because he wasn't even the worst player on the pitch. I'm not suggested for one second that the answer is booing somebody different. And I think maybe this point in general speaks to the idea that expectations on BB are higher than on other players. Angers about his transfer fee shouldn't be directed towards him in my opinion.

Edited by JoeH

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

We are now in agreement, so proof that you are open to other views.

Good to chew the fat with you on day whatever of lockdown.

Do be mindful however that the forum isn't a game. Being open to other views is a two way street and I think the lack of acknowledgement to some of my points, or the examples I've used is rather telling. I feel as though I've attempted to listen to other view points on the matter from the both of you, so I'm personally satisfied.

Have a good day :)

Just now, JoeH said:

Leeds and Rovers are similar club sizes, the fickleness I've been discussing from minute one has always been described by myself as appropriate for all larger clubs with higher expectations and richer histories.

The Brereton booing at Birmingham wasn't wrong because of who it was aimed at, it was just WEIRD because he wasn't even the worst player on the pitch. I'm not suggested for one second that the answer is booing somebody different.

Brereton certainly wasn't booed at Birmingham. There were ironic cheers when he was substituted but (and I was there) it was from a really small group not the majority as you seem to be insinuating. I was sat in the first few rows that were available and it was barely audible from there. Nobody around me reacted.

Just now, arbitro said:

Brereton certainly wasn't booed at Birmingham. There were ironic cheers when he was substituted but (and I was there) it was from a really small group not the majority as you seem to be insinuating. I was sat in the first few rows that were available and it was barely audible from there. Nobody around me reacted.

I'm just expressing what I heard. I was there also. We obviously sat in different places :)

Do be mindful however that the forum isn't a game. Being open to other views is a two way street and I think the lack of acknowledgement to some of my points, or the examples I've used is rather telling. I feel as though I've attempted to listen to other view points on the matter from the both of you, so I'm personally satisfied.

Have a good day :)

I don’t have to blow smoke up your arse with bits of a post I agree with (which the general point about BB’s struggles, I did), but I will challenge you on parts I vehemently disagree with. 

If you think that’s ‘telling’, then fair enough, but I just say it as I see it.

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

If you think that’s ‘telling’, then fair enough, but I just say it as I see it.

I think you expect other posters (in this instance myself) to sympathise with your views, but don't have any intention, as you've just outlined, to follow that yourself. And yes, I do think that's telling. I'm not expecting you to do anything, I just think you clearly expect other people to listen to you, but clearly don't think others should be listened to to the same extent.

Do I? I’m just posting my views, folk are free to do with my posts what they wish, they can agree, disagree, tell me to f*ck off.

So on the flip side, I’m free to do what I want with theirs, I.e post a rebuttal.

Forum 101 really.

Anyway sorry everybody, that’s enough of a diversion for one day.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Advanced issue found

?

20 hours ago, JoeH said:

Look at opinions based around Tony Mowbray for my favourite example of our fickleness, including my own fickleness. On three separate occasions over the last few years I've been so confident in my opinion that Mogga's time was coming to a close here, but on each of those occasions I ended up changing my mind, as have countless other members of our supporter base.

Just to pick out his part. Not sure TM is a good example to use when suggesting our fans are fickle. This is a manager that goes on huge losing runs and then some good winning runs. Fans of any club in the country would be calling for his sacking after the sort of runs we have suffered. Many would then turn to support him once he turns those around and then the team goes on to show some good form for an extended amount of time.

Lets be honest, he would have been sacked elsewhere after some of the losing runs we have had. 

• Like 3

Mowbray has been the most staunchly supported manager we’ve had for a long time. Rarely been a murmur against him in 3 years at Ewood, and we’ve seen some horrendous runs of form. He’d have been hounded at many other Championship clubs.

Ewood Park as a place that is ’Very fickle’,  a ‘tough environment’ that ‘quickly turns’ is just not true in the slightest.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Mowbray has been the most staunchly supported manager we’ve had for a long time. Rarely been a murmur against him in 3 years at Ewood, and we’ve seen some horrendous runs of form. He’d have been hounded at many other Championship clubs.

Ewood Park as a place that is ’Very fickle’,  a ‘tough environment’ that ‘quickly turns’ is just not true in the slightest.

Some people are scared of raising any form of dissent. The morons who tried to disrupt the Kean protests and drove many people away. Granted it's not comparable to that but people know that any form of protest would be treated with derision and threats of violence.

Jack added a good point about Mowbray that expanded the debate from yesterday.

Myself and Vinners then added our view, was ever thus on here that we will digress from a thread title (especially in a lockdown).

No idea what your problem is, but you really need to stop being so thin skinned and roll with the punches, something you’ve struggled to do since you joined.

Edited by Mattyblue

• Backroom

No problem with the debate lads, good points being discussed, but maybe time to take a break and move on? Once it starts getting personal it's better to leave it alone I think. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

No idea what your problem is, but you really need to stop being so thin skinned and roll with the punches, something you’ve struggled to do since you joined.

Again, my lack of excitement to enter into a second day of debate with you over a subject we've already covered shouldn't really lead to personal insults. I'm just going to ignore this, it's becoming rather pointless. I think it's best.

21 minutes ago, JoeH said:

The72 reporting Rovers interested in Rajid Van La Parra, pretty unreliable source and pretty shit footballer IMO. Not the most exciting but at least its transfer related. 

https://the72.co.uk/168869/swansea-city-and-blackburn-rovers-targeting-ex-huddersfield-town-winger/

Thought he shown a lot of potential at Wolves. But since then his career has stalled. Still other 28 years old so some good years ahead under the right manager. 

I remember him having some pace at that time

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thought he shown a lot of potential at Wolves. But since then his career has stalled. Still other 28 years old so some good years ahead under the right manager. 

I remember him having some pace at that time

Another article suggests Norwich want him too. Probably a media circle by the agent but if Norwich want him then he'll end up there for sure.

Another article suggests Norwich want him too. Probably a media circle by the agent but if Norwich want him then he'll end up there for sure.

He out of contract isn't he? so I would imagine he been offered to clubs in English 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He out of contract isn't he? so I would imagine he been offered to clubs in English 

Yes and unlike McLoughlin he's already out of his deal at Red Star Belgrade, available right now for anyone who wants him.