BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

The Spurs match was without doubt the best match and the best Rovers performance I've seen in a lifetime of watching

Can still see those goals in my mind's eye. A brilliant day

Andy McEvoy died in 1994. 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, renrag said:

Plenty of last minute goals there! 😊  If I recall correctly the score was 3-2 at half time

Correct. Rovers raced into a 3-0 lead, and Jimmy Greaves IIRC pulled 2 back before the break

11 minutes ago, den said:

What would be brilliant would be to hear from someone who was at both the Spurs and West Ham games. Such as Duggie🙂

Ive no idea how Bryan’s health is or whether anyone on here is in contact. That would be great though.

Trying to think who’s still alive from that team. Mike England is I think. Andy McEvoy? 

We need a BRFCS event so we can book Mike England to give us a speech:

https://football-speakers.com/football-speaker/mike-england-mbe#:~:text=To book Mike England MBE,directly on 0207 1010 553.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, renrag said:

I thought Dave Mackay got one

Thanks, memories from 60 years ago! 

Next time I remember seeing Mackay at Ewood was about six years later with Derby County. Early days of the Clough era. Score was 1-1, again from memory

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Sorry, missed it. Were you there? I was sitting in the Nuttall St stand that day, near the Blackburn End. Never to be forgotten

I was stood behind the goals at the Darwen End First Half. I migrated to behind the goals at Blackburn End second half. Birds Eye view of Andy Mac racing through to slot in his four goals.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Sorry, missed it. Were you there? I was sitting in the Nuttall St stand that day, near the Blackburn End. Never to be forgotten

I was. started off on the Darwen end and changed ends with the team. 
I was 14 at the time. Wow.

Edited by den
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Fred was a terrific player. The comparison with Shearer is very apt. They were very similar players, both had a terrific shot in their right foot. Fred had the ability to go past people with deft footwork were Shearer just went through them.

What Shearer and Pickering had in common was power, in the body, with a shot and in the air. They imposed themselves on centre-halves who often couldn't live with them.

In his early years with us, Pickering was every bit as good as Shearer imo. But he won't be remembered that way. Sad.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

whats this changing ends at half time,surely you could`nt decide to walk round from the darwen end to the blackburn end!!!???this only happens in non league football and  it`s a bit risky sometimes

Rovers fans used to gather in the Darwen end then. They would wait for the toss and make a dash to the Blackburn end if rovers were kicking that way. Then at half time they would make their way back again. No fencing or barriers to stop them. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

whats this changing ends at half time,surely you could`nt decide to walk round from the darwen end to the blackburn end!!!???this only happens in non league football and  it`s a bit risky sometimes

Different era.  Swapped ends at half time and had a bit of banter with opposition fans going the other way, but that's as far as it went. Football was fun then

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Different era.  Swapped ends at half time and had a bit of banter with opposition fans going the other way, but that's as far as it went. Football was fun then

I ca remember times when it wasn't just banter and there were 1 or 2 unpleasant encounters on the halfway line on the Riverside.

One that particularly sticks out is Liverpool, very nasty they were. 

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

I ca remember times when it wasn't just banter and there were 1 or 2 unpleasant encounters on the halfway line on the Riverside.

One that particularly sticks out is Liverpool, very nasty they were. 

Yes, the match circa 1964-5 ? we were 2-0 down and came back to beat them 3-2. Another great game,. They were throwing bottles all over the place outside Ewood.  I can't remember when changing ends stopped - probably by about 1970 or so. It was a sad day for football

• Like 2

Quite a few members of the 1963 "7-2 Club" on here.

I was on my first visit to Ewood. We were over on hols and Dad, who had converted me from a very young age, treated us to upstairs in the Nuttall St Stand.

Vivid memories still and called on when I'm feeling bad about Rovers or life in general.

We are a fortunate group.

I got to meet Bryan Douglas and Ronnie Clayton and their wives years later at the Lazio friendly. Some of the nicest people I've met.

*Mum, Dad and 4 kids stayed at Grans 2 up 2 down with outside loo in Hope St., Happy Days!

• Like 6

15 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

I think what you're looking for is at the start of this video:

The page that had the old Videos/DVD's is below. If you click on 'date published' in the drop down they should appear:

https://archive.org/details/@sandimas1988?tab=uploads&sort=-date

You're a legend - exactly the video and website I was after. Thank you very much 🙂 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 47er said:

What Shearer and Pickering had in common was power, in the body, with a shot and in the air. They imposed themselves on centre-halves who often couldn't live with them.

In his early years with us, Pickering was every bit as good as Shearer imo. But he won't be remembered that way. Sad.

When Fred was on song he was every bit as good as Shearer.

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Quite a few members of the 1963 "7-2 Club" on here.

I was on my first visit to Ewood. We were over on hols and Dad, who had converted me from a very young age, treated us to upstairs in the Nuttall St Stand.

Vivid memories still and called on when I'm feeling bad about Rovers or life in general.

We are a fortunate group.

I got to meet Bryan Douglas and Ronnie Clayton and their wives years later at the Lazio friendly. Some of the nicest people I've met.

*Mum, Dad and 4 kids stayed at Grans 2 up 2 down with outside loo in Hope St., Happy Days!

It’s what I console myself with. Whatever these owners or anyone else at Ewood inflict on this club, they can never take those memories away.

Im sure there are plenty of fans who will look back in later years and think the same about seeing us win the Premier League.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

I used to wait on the half way line on the Riverside terrace before the game. I’d go to what ever end we were attacking once the teams had lined up. At half time I’d make my way to the other end. If you didn’t go looking for trouble you rarely saw any. Liverpool had there own method - I remember them leaving the Blackburn end en masse by climbing over the wall and and just marching right down the pitch to the Darwen End at half time ! It was like a scene from “ Zulu “.

• Like 2