2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think solely based on judging the squad Mowbray has assembled against other squads without judging managers, that it is not in the top 6 squads, and that some of our players are overrated. I do think that it is underachieving down in 15th however under Mowbray, based on his baffling tactics etc.

O'Neill, no, the other 4 are top managers at this level who get more than the sum of a teams parts at this level, so for sure, they would have us competing.

Really interesting thread Rover99 and one I’ve been thinking about for some time. I recall Gary Bowyer getting criticised as he supposedly had a top 6 squad but failed to get them there.

I think there are 3 elements to this question. Firstly, if you believe in the top 6 statement then it seems to me that Tony Mowbray deserves credit for assembling the squad.

Secondly, the fact that we have not been a top 6 club this season is a big negative against the manager and he faces criticism for his tactics, team selections etc. as supporters claim we are underperforming.

Like someone commented previously we as fans think our squad is better than most and should be doing better but often it’s based on a hunch or gut feeling. Is there any way that we could use objective, empirical baseline data to answer the question?

Which leads me to the third element. If  you compared all 24 squads in the Championship, looking at the goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders and forwards and applied skill based data to each area and quantified it you could arrive at a crude score for each team and thus be aware of which teams were over or underperforming. I’m not sure if such data exists but it would be an interesting exercise.

I do know that in the world of education over the last 30 years such base line data has been applied to our pupils so managers and teachers have an idea what an individual pupil should be capable of and whether schools are under or over performing when it comes to public exams. I well remember being appraised every year over my exam results as other teachers on here will empathise with. 

I know it’s not exactly scientific but last months Four Four Two magazine studied the remaining Championship  fixtures in 2021 and they had Rovers finishing in 9th place. The top 6 were Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth, Brentford, Swansea and Middlesborough so it will be interesting to see how accurate their magazine writers are.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I firmly believe we have a top six squad (when all are fit) but a mid table manager. The early season for saw us with a style of playing, a method which really suited the players and there was a nice

Kaminski- top 6  nyambe- top half lenihan- not good enough in my opinion, would happily sell ayala- seems a mistake, too 6 in his day, not sure he will ever be physically able anymore

Just wondering what people think to the overall state of our current squad. I see regularly that it is a top 6 squad grossly underperforming, I am not convinced. To clarify, this is not a defence of M

On 28/02/2021 at 23:00, roversfan99 said:

I think solely based on judging the squad Mowbray has assembled against other squads without judging managers, that it is not in the top 6 squads, and that some of our players are overrated. I do think that it is underachieving down in 15th however under Mowbray, based on his baffling tactics etc.

O'Neill, no, the other 4 are top managers at this level who get more than the sum of a teams parts at this level, so for sure, they would have us competing.

I think this is a top six squad just about, albeit unevenly distributed. So, therefore, it should be challenging to be in the playoffs. I could accept being round about the playoffs by the end of the campaign, even if we do ultimately miss out. That'd be frustrating, but where we should be. Some might think we should be aiming higher, but they're all just opinions...not facts. Seems we can all agree that the exact strength is not the main point though, which is that Mowbray is failing to come close to reach the potential of this squad. We could even be down to 18th place by the weekend should results go against us. 18th in March!

As it is, considering our March schedule, we're much more likely to be harbouring relegation fears than anything else.