BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s only a matter of time, he can’t help himself.

For me, he’s defending his club, but these things can escalate, as we know. If he takes the comments on the chin, then behaves, we are good. If not, then we all know what happens next.

54 minutes ago, booth said:

When they got relegated last season, I didn't go on their forums, tbh I couldn't have cared less. I

Yet this whole thread started as a celebration of our impending relegation - chinney reckon? 😬

42 minutes ago, Hasta said:

So who was worse. Rovers or Preston

Good question. I think you guys had/have much more individual quality. They wanted to graft but I saw little quality or effectiveness but they had very few answers to us. 

2 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

Yet this whole thread started as a celebration of our impending relegation - chinney reckon? 😬

I didn't start it. But... It's on here, I'm not reading it on Burnley Mad or Barmy Turf or whatever. The thought of joining a rivals forum doesn't compute. The only time I ever look at them is if someone else mentions that we've been mentioned.

The thought of us winning at home, and during the game going to a Burnley forum doesn't even cross my mind. The closest thing I've got to that is (in same league) cheering when Burnley are losing when the scores were read out at half time.

Edited by booth
Got the wrong OP
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Cuppliance said:

Burnley have more lives than a Buddhist cat. Another late, late goal to rescue them from defeat. Their game against Rotherham was beyond the joke tbh.

Teams with a good mentality score at the end of games. It becomes a habit. Like it or lump it. When did we last score a goal in time added on ? That tells you all you need to know about the mentality at Rovers.

Sad but true.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cuppliance said:

Burnley have more lives than a Buddhist cat. Another late, late goal to rescue them from defeat. Their game against Rotherham was beyond the joke tbh.

The joke was Rotherham’s time wasting. To be honest he could have added 15 minutes and wouldn’t have been generous . I notice you don’t mention WBA scoring in the 9th minutes of time added on at the end of our game against them 🤷‍♂️.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Teams with a good mentality score at the end of games. It becomes a habit. Like it or lump it.

I have to concur, and you see it all too often for it to be a coincidence. I think off the Fergie teams with Keane in them, Arsenal with Viera, the great Barca and Real teams, the German national sides of the 80s and 90s. And before anyone jumps, I’m not suggesting we are as good as them, just that we have that winning mentality.  I would also point out last night we had 70% possession, 4 times as many shots and 5 on target to their 1 so over the game it was hardly ‘lucky’.

35 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

The joke was Rotherham’s time wasting. To be honest he could have added 15 minutes and wouldn’t have been generous . I notice you don’t mention WBA scoring in the 9th minutes of time added on at the end of our game against them 🤷‍♂️.

I have to concur, and you see it all too often for it to be a coincidence. I think off the Fergie teams with Keane in them, Arsenal with Viera, the great Barca and Real teams, the German national sides of the 80s and 90s. And before anyone jumps, I’m not suggesting we are as good as them, just that we have that winning mentality.  I would also point out last night we had 70% possession, 4 times as many shots and 5 on target to their 1 so over the game it was hardly ‘lucky’.

Your implication, by name dropping some of the greatest teams of all time, is that second division Burnley are made from the same stuff.

Aye, OK.

54 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I never understood time wasting. The numbers of times you see teams time wasting only to concede at the death and having lost any attacking momentum.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Your implication, by name dropping some of the greatest teams of all time, is that second division Burnley are made from the same stuff.

Aye, OK.

Literally first teams that came to mind, inevitably other than my own team I only tend to be aware of those that dominated at various times - I could have also said our team from 15/16 I suppose. I thought I was quite clear, we are nowhere near those teams, except perhaps in mental strength. But still if it makes you feel better about things, fair enough.

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Literally first teams that came to mind, inevitably other than my own team I only tend to be aware of those that dominated at various times - I could have also said our team from 15/16 I suppose. I thought I was quite clear, we are nowhere near those teams, except perhaps in mental strength. But still if it makes you feel better about things, fair enough.

Tbh, the comparison with Fergie's team is quite fitting in terms of the S-housery on display last night. 

I've never seen so many dramatic flops to the floor whilst clutching faces. 

And chief dickhead Ashley Barnes's shambles at the corners was quite something to witness. 

(I'll caveat that with Watford being almost as bad..... big emphasis on almost, as any team would struggle to reach the heights your boys hit!!) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I have to concur, and you see it all too often for it to be a coincidence. I think off the Fergie teams with Keane in them, Arsenal with Viera, the great Barca and Real teams, the German national sides of the 80s and 90s. And before anyone jumps, I’m not suggesting we are as good as them, just that we have that winning mentality.

Draws parallel then claims no parallel is being drawn. Textbook 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

Yeah I heard about the time wasting but that happens with all teams with a lead doesn't it? I actually liked the idea of what they did at the WC with the added time. I don't think they should have been implementing that into a game part way into a season though. It may be a common occurrence next season which I am OK with but part way through a season would be inconsistent with the already completed games. I wasn't there so maybe my opinion on this isn't valid but I just thought I'd make the point about the deep stoppage time goals.

I haven't noticed WBA scoring late on in games. Have they done it in many games this season?

38 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Burnley have had a massive financial advantage over the rest of the division. This aside, Kompany has done an terrific job in buying/loaning high quality players for the Championship and putting an excellent side together. Of that there is no question.

Let's be clear though. The primary reason you're winning virtually every game by 2, 3 or 4 goals, is not because you have some Fergie'esque never-say-die-attitude and ability to scrape draws and wins from losing positions, rather it's because you're miles better than everyone else for the reasons above.

If it nakes you feel better to ignore those reasons, and somehow portray your team's success as being down to a team spirit akin to the teams you mentioned, then fair enough.

Edited by Wheelton Blue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Teams with a good mentality score at the end of games. It becomes a habit. Like it or lump it. When did we last score a goal in time added on ? That tells you all you need to know about the mentality at Rovers.

Sad but true.

If we're talking about scoring goals I'd say it's more of a talent issue primarily.

Teams with a good mentality certainly benefit from signing two goalscorers in the January transfer window. One of which was the goalscorer last night.

Edited by booth

6 minutes ago, Cuppliance said:

haven't noticed WBA scoring late on in games. Have they done it in many games this season?

I have no idea - my point was they were given a lot of added time - which seemed to be your point about us v Rotherham and our late goals so I was simply highlighting this.

7 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Let's be clear though. The primary reason you're winning virtually every game by 2, 3 or 4 goals, is not because you have some Fergie'esque never-say-die-attitude and ability to scrape draws and wins from losing positions, rather it's because you're miles better than everyone else for the reasons above.

I’m not ignoring any of those things - the point is we score late goals to win points when we aren’t at our best and I believe it is because of that mentality. The league clearly shows we have been better than most, maybe all apart from Sheff UTD, but earlier in the season we dropped points we shouldn’t have and for me that was in part because our mentality was frail because the squad was just as good as it is today.

9 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I have no idea - my point was they were given a lot of added time - which seemed to be your point about us v Rotherham and our late goals so I was simply highlighting this.

I’m not ignoring any of those things - the point is we score late goals to win points when we aren’t at our best and I believe it is because of that mentality. The league clearly shows we have been better than most, maybe all apart from Sheff UTD, but earlier in the season we dropped points we shouldn’t have and for me that was in part because our mentality was frail because the squad was just as good as it is today.

The squad at the start of the season wasn't as good as it today though, was it?

Your squad now has the experience of playing and training for 20 odd games together. Back then, it was newly assembled and collectively untrained.

I don't dispute that your team has a good mentatlity, which is largely down to your manager and coaches I suspect. But to attribute that mentatlity as the main reason you thrash virtually every other team out of sight, is a bit of a stretch IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You can think that if you like. 

Obafemi scored last night. They brought him on and their 11 million euro striker. They've got Rodriguez, Zaoury, Benson and Tella cracking them in regularly. That would create positivity in any team wouldn't it?

Or did you mean that Brereton, Gallagher and Vale can compare in terms of the goalscoring talent in their squad?

Brereton, Gallagher, Vale, Dack, Dolan

vs

Rodriguez, Zaoury, Benson, Tella + January arrivals Obafemi and €11m dude.

9 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

The squad at the start of the season wasn't as good as it today though, was it?

Your squad now has the experience of playing and training for 20 odd games together. Back then, it was newly assembled and collectively untrained.

I don't dispute that your team has a good mentatlity, which is largely down to your manager and coaches I suspect. But to attribute that mentatlity as the main reason you thrash virtually every other team out of sight, is a bit of a stretch IMO.

The point I was making is that teams with a strong mentality are capable of regularly scoring goals right at the death. Luck hasn’t much to do with it. I wish it did - but it doesn’t. Ability is big part of it but so is desire, belief, will to win, and most importantly, composure, they all play a part. You can go from your box to their box in 5 seconds. 5 minutes added time is a long while if you remain calm and focussed. You can make a couple of chances in that time if you don’t fall into the trap of just lumping it into the box. Although that works occasionally.

There’s a reason why we never score at the end of games. We lack most of the qualities needed to do so.

I wish it wasn’t the case but - it is.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The point I was making is that teams with a strong mentality are capable of regularly scoring goals right at the death. Luck hasn’t much to do with it. I wish it did - but it doesn’t. Ability is big part of it but so is desire, belief, will to win, and most importantly, composure, they all play a part. You can go from your box to their box in 5 seconds. 5 minutes added time is a long while if you remain calm and focussed. You can make a couple of chances in that time if you don’t fall into the trap of just lumping it into the box. Although that works occasionally.

There’s a reason why we never score at the end of games. We lack most of the qualities needed to do so.

I wish it wasn’t the case but - it is.

I agree with you, but having the best players - by far as in the case of Burnley - is a massive advantage.

If a side is winning game after game after game, in most cases it's primarily because their players are so much better than every other teams' players. As a result, confidence, belief and a winning mentatlity will also increase. It all goes hand in hand.

Burnley win so many games, some of which at the death, primarlily because their players - and hence confidence and belief - are so much better. 

Conversely, we don't win games at the death primarily because our players - and hence confidence & belief - are average.

Put it this way. If we had Messi and Ronaldo in our ranks, the belief amongst the rest of the team would shoot up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I agree with you, but having the best players - by far as in the case of Burnley - is a massive advantage.

If a side is winning game after game after game, in most cases it's primarily because their players are so much better than every other teams' players. As a result, confidence, belief and a winning mentatlity will also increase. It all goes hand in hand.

Burnley win so many games, some of which at the death, primarlily because their players - and hence confidence and belief - are so much better. 

Conversely, we don't win games at the death primarily because our players - and hence confidence & belief - are average.

Put it this way. If we had Messi and Ronaldo in our ranks, the belief amongst the rest of the team would shoot up.

When we came runners up a few years back I’d say by a fair way we had the best collection of players in that league. How many goals did we score at the death in games ? The underlying lackadaisical culture at Ewood since the Chicken Chokers rolled means we haven’t got the necessary tools to do it.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 minute ago, 1874 said:

Both Watford and Norwich squads are valued higher than theirs.

And how many goals have they scored in time added on this season ? 

I’d love it to be different but if you’ve ever played at a higher level than a  “ jumpers on the common kick about “ you’ll know what it takes to score goals under real time pressure. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

to attribute that mentatlity as the main reason you thrash virtually every other team out of sight, is a bit of a stretch IMO

I didn’t say it was - I said it was a major contributor to the late goals we’ve scored to rescue games/points. Against PNE it was simply a gulf in class and tactics. Last night was different - lest we forget the Watford squad to a large extent was assembled at great expense in the PL so the gulf in player quality is not great at all.

14 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

agree with you, but having the best players - by far as in the case of Burnley - is a massive advantage.

By far? We rarely get more than one or two in teams of the week that are dominated by the likes of Sheff Utd etc - indeed in Berge, NDiaye, McBurnie, Brewster, Bogle all cost more than our players and are generally higher rated than ours. We do have some very good players for sure but we are not alone in that. We have good players that were brought together 6 months ago and have been exceptionally well coached by Kompany and his team.