BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

52 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Burnley have Ipswich and then Sheff Weds / Fleetwood in the cup. The chance of the home derby being moved has probably increased again.

As somebody who can't make the derby now it's on the Sunday, I was actually happy (felt wrong though) they have a winnable fifth round tie should they get through. That was until I saw Sharpe acknowledge the possibility that they could keep the derby on the Sunday and play the FA Cup QF midweek instead, surely not.....

2 minutes ago, frosty said:

As somebody who can't make the derby now it's on the Sunday, I was actually happy (felt wrong though) they have a winnable fifth round tie should they get through. That was until I saw Sharpe acknowledge the possibility that they could keep the derby on the Sunday and play the FA Cup QF midweek instead, surely not.....

That will be difficult. Telling the TV companies they can’t broadcast a potential high profile fa cup QF because lancs police can’t manage a league game without 16 weeks notice.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

Burnley have Ipswich and then Sheff Weds / Fleetwood in the cup. The chance of the home derby being moved has probably increased again.

Crikey, we've won one game in the Cup this year and you've got us in the quarter-finals ? I hope you're right, but frankly I don't think the Club will see it as a priority .....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Crikey, we've won one game in the Cup this year and you've got us in the quarter-finals ? I hope you're right, but frankly I don't think the Club will see it as a priority .....

WTF did I say you were in the quarter finals? You've probably got more chance of getting there against league one opposition than if you'd drawn Spurs or Man U.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

You've won every home game since god knows when and all that stands between you and the QFs are two League One teams 'ont Turf'. You'll be automatically promoted at a canter, so I'm sure a winner like Kompany will see this draw as a massive opportunity.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Who was that Dickens character - Uriah Heap ?

It’s your board - we have to recognise that and walk the fine line between debate/banter and gloating!

We are also long suffering fans who have plummeted to the very bottom of the league and clawed our way back, with many a false Dawn on the way. If I’ve learned one thing about football it is there is always a disappointment just around the  corner from the next assumption of success you make. 

So yep, we won’t have a better chance of a quarter final - and I can’t remember us having as favourable a run of fixtures in the cup ever - HOWEVER we did fail to beat Ipswich (and possibly should have lost) and neither they, nor Fleetwood/Sheff Weds will lay down if we do beat Ipswich.

On 31/01/2023 at 12:51, longsiders1882 said:

It’s your board - we have to recognise that and walk the fine line between debate/banter and gloating!

We are also long suffering fans who have plummeted to the very bottom of the league and clawed our way back, with many a false Dawn on the way. If I’ve learned one thing about football it is there is always a disappointment just around the  corner from the next assumption of success you make. 

So yep, we won’t have a better chance of a quarter final - and I can’t remember us having as favourable a run of fixtures in the cup ever - HOWEVER we did fail to beat Ipswich (and possibly should have lost) and neither they, nor Fleetwood/Sheff Weds will lay down if we do beat Ipswich.

Well said, " Longers " ...

I don't know your age, but I was around in 1975 when we were 6th in the top flight and Jimmy Adamson remarked that our home draw to Southern League Wimbledon was " an opportunity to progress " ! Dickie Guy anyone ? I believe we are still the only top-flight team to lose twice at home  to non-league opposition ! ( Lincoln 2017 ) ...

I think we can be forgiven for our modesty and caution on this occasion ..

Edited by sympatheticclaret
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Well said, " Longers " ...

I don't know your age, but I was around in 1975 when we were 6th in the top flight and Jimmy Adamson remarked that our home draw to Southern League Wimbledon was " an opportunity to progress " ! Dickie Guy anyone ? I believe we are still the only top-flight team to lose twice at home  to non-league opposition ! ( Lincoln 2017 ) ...

I think we can be forgiven for our modesty and caution on this occasion ..

55 in April. I was around in ‘75 but my football memories from back then are limited. My dad had no interest in football - so much so that his best friend, my ‘uncle Eddie’, who was a massive Rovers fan, took to St James’ Park when they were working in the NE in the 60s (they were musicians). Apparently my dad just moaned about being cold for 90 minutes so he swore never to go with him again 😬. So it was only at my grandparents where I heard much about footie and started getting myself down with my mate from being about 10 in ‘78.

I obviously was there for Lincoln - and all the cup games recently - so I take nothing for granted.

Edited by longsiders1882

I have a full set of Dingles in Europe from the early 60s, attended them all 

From memory 😱 Napoli, Hamburg, Roma, Eintracht Frankfurt, possibly one more.

I recall Andy Lochead stamping on an opponent's head in one of them 😯😂

• Like 1