BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

5 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

He’s defending his club the way we all would . He’s not over stepping the mark. It’s friendly banter from someone starved of joy for many years . They’ve been in our shadow so long it’s only fair they have there moment before it All goes to shit again and we’re shining a torch down the basements of football we’re they will ultimately end back up 

And you started so well ......

In terms of the comments of " Dreams of 1995 " , his soubriquet is certainly well chosen. You can't expect " Longsiders " or myself, welcome though we have been made, not to come back occasionally with one or two jibes defending our colours. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

In terms of the comments of " Dreams of 1995 " , his soubriquet is certainly well chosen. You can't expect " Longsiders " or myself, welcome though we have been made, not to come back occasionally with one or two jibes defending our colours. 

Just like rovers . It usually ends in disappointment by the end 😂

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Just read that wout wegiwotsit is close to finalising a deal with united 😱🤣

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

And then you woke up ?

This is apparently true - United are interested in loaning him. But it’s complicated as he’s on loan at Besiktas for the season with an option to buy. So some wheeling and dealing required if they are serious.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

Ahh yes we all remember Trelleborgs - and was it Batty and Le Saux scrapping against Spartak? 

Looks like we've honed in on the highlight of your 90's.

Knebworth, nah, sitting at home watching Rovers on your tele. 

I'm misty eyed for you. 

Good to know the scars still run deep. 😉

• Like 3

5 hours ago, J*B said:

I reckon he takes worse than he gives. 

Well obviously, it’s a Rovers forum. Though it’s all very tame in comparison to what a Rovers fan would get on UTC (if they lasted longer than 5 minutes, that is).

‘Trelleborgs’, ‘bought the league’ just boring old tropes you hear from every sad and bitter Dingle, always thought Longers prided himself on being a bit more cerebral…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Seems to me he started strong and finished with a blinder.

Nothing like some good old fashioned banter.

As long as people don't start trying to rub it in our faces how shit we are. We already know.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Seems to me he started strong and finished with a blinder.

Nothing like some good old fashioned banter.

As long as people don't start trying to rub it in our faces how shit we are. We already know.

Talking of banter, I've been a member at Blackburn Rugby Club for over 40 years, and there is a small " cell " of Clarets there. Over the past few years, we would be watching the 1st XV but occasionally huddle together to check someone's phone for the Burnley score. At least 3 times a season, sure as eggs are eggs, someone would tap us on the shoulder and ask " How are t'Rovers doing ? "

" Sorry mate, I don't follow lower League football, what division are they in ? "

For obvious reasons, it's fallen into disuse recently, but we're hoping to brush it off for use next season ! 😁

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Talking of banter, I've been a member at Blackburn Rugby Club for over 40 years, and there is a small " cell " of Clarets there. Over the past few years, we would be watching the 1st XV but occasionally huddle together to check someone's phone for the Burnley score. At least 3 times a season, sure as eggs are eggs, someone would tap us on the shoulder and ask " How are t'Rovers doing ? "

" Sorry mate, I don't follow lower League football, what division are they in ? "

For obvious reasons, it's fallen into disuse recently, but we're hoping to brush it off for use next season ! 😁

Going back when I played our coach was insistent on any of his players being “ bad losers and good winners “. This was in spite of him being an ex Leeds United player. That meant winning should be enough and any piss taking of your opponents was really frowned upon. That’s stuck with me all my life. Maybe you should think about that.

I’ve been around long enough to know that football is circular for most clubs outside the top 5 or 6. You have your days in the sun followed by years in the doldrums. In my time I’ve seen loads of the current good teams playing at my local club, Rochdale, in the old Div 4. Brighton, Brentford, Wolves, Bournemouth, to name just four. When the ‘ Dale had their day in the sun they also played Villa and Fulham in the old Div 3.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Going back when I played our coach was insistent on any of his players being “ bad losers and good winners “. This was in spite of him being an ex Leeds United player. That meant winning should be enough and any piss taking of your opponents was really frowned upon. That’s stuck with me all my life. Maybe you should think about that.

I’ve been around long enough to know that football is circular for most clubs outside the top 5 or 6. You have your days in the sun followed by years in the doldrums. In my time I’ve seen loads of the current good teams playing at my local club, Rochdale, in the old Div 4. Brighton, Brentford, Wolves, Bournemouth, to name just four.

Well said.

They've had a reprieve this time around, and possibly for another season or two in the top flight, but their time will come. Just as ours did.

7 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Well said.

They've had a reprieve this time around, and possibly for another season or two in the top flight, but their time will come. Just as ours did.

Yeah, I never understood the flying of planes with banners over the respective grounds. Nothing is forever in football. Most clubs are only one really bad appointment away from sliding down the league. We did it when we sacked Sam and appointed that no-mark, never was, Kean. Not only that but having nearly relegated the club they kept him on to have another go ! Madness.

Notice how I didn’t mention watching Burnley at Spotland in the old Div4.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ve been around long enough to know that football is circular for most clubs outside the top 5 or 6. You have your days in the sun followed by years in the doldrums. In my time I’ve seen loads of the current good teams playing at my local club, Rochdale, in the old Div 4. Brighton, Brentford, Wolves, Bournemouth, to name just four. When the ‘ Dale had their day in the sun they also played Villa and Fulham in the old Div 3.

Having played the oval ball game for many years, I'm fully in agreement with the first paragraph, up to a point.

However, this is fans of two professional Football Clubs having a little gentle banter, part of the fabric of life. I suspect you enjoyed a little moment of " schadenfreude " when you witnessed our 5-0 defeat on April Fool's Day 2001, or heard of our 0-1 defeat at home to non-league Lincoln a few years back .... 😉 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Having played the oval ball game for many years, I'm fully in agreement with the first paragraph, up to a point.

However, this is fans of two professional Football Clubs having a little gentle banter, part of the fabric of life. I suspect you enjoyed a little moment of " schadenfreude " when you witnessed our 5-0 defeat on April Fool's Day 2001, or heard of our 0-1 defeat at home to non-league Lincoln a few years back .... 😉 

I enjoyed the way we played that day and it was 3 more points nearer promotion. We’ve had plenty to worry about on our own accord these last ten years without being overly concerned about Burnley.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, I never understood the flying of planes with banners over the respective grounds. Nothing is forever in football. Most clubs are only one really bad appointment away from sliding down the league. We did it when we sacked Sam and appointed that no-mark, never was, Kean. Not only that but having nearly relegated the club they kept him on to have another go ! Madness.

Notice how I didn’t mention watching Burnley at Spotland in the old Div4.

You're Joking!  Being there when that plane flew over turd moor was nearly one of the best days in my life as a Rovers fan 👍

• Like 3

On 07/01/2023 at 20:59, J*B said:

I reckon he takes worse than he gives. 

In my lifetime Rovers fans have never had it as bad as Burnley fans.

1994/1995 was a hell of a season for us and just pure hell for them. I can't imagine. Any of their fans that stuck around must be hardcore.

We were watching our players holding the Premier League trophy aloft to a packed Ewood, and plaudits around the country as they were being relegated to Div3.

I remember a piece in the Telegraph about David Eyres being their top scorer. He scored less than 10. Above it was another piece with a large picture of England's number 9 Alan Shearer winning the golden boot.

I don't know about Burnley fans but Rovers fans could be reminded of this from time to time. I don't think a local rival has been burned quite as badly as that in world football.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

The hells going on with this Weghorst bloke?

Dingles loaned him out and now he's off to Man Utd??

Did he refuse to play in the championship or something.

We signed him in January 2022, for £12m ... he's 6'6" and had a scoring record of 1 in 2 in both the Dutch " Eridivisie " and the German " Bundesliga ", so obviously he seen as the " man " to keep us up. In the end he ended up being played as a target man in Dyche's rather predictable system, scored 2 goals in 20 games, and down we went ...

He's actually better with ball into feet, has a good touch, and brings others into play well ... as his goal drought went on, he started snatching at chances and trying to take too many on as the crowd increasingly got on his back.  With the World Cup coming up, the Dutch Coach announced that he would only consider players playing regular " top flight " football, which would have irked him. He'd also acquired a reputation as " difficult " in leaks coming from the training ground. On 5th July, he went on a season's long loan to Besiktas, apparently with no recall option, and Besiktas having a " purchase option " at the end of the loan.

He's scored 1 in 2 again in Turkey, and then obviously came to prominence with his two goals after coming on as a substitute in the World Cup Quarter final, with 7 minutes to go, and the Dutch 0-2 down against the Argentinians ... he also netted in the penalty shoot-out.

It looks like we've agreed the fees with United but Besiktas are playing hardball over a fee to release them from their loan agreement, which, naturally, we would be looking to United to cover as well. Even by the end of this season, he's still contracted to us for another 2 years. Hopefully for us, he goes to United, scores a goal a game, the United faithful start chanting " sign him on ", and we can name our price in June .... 😎 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sympatheticclaret said:

We signed him in January 2022, for £12m ... he's 6'6" and had a scoring record of 1 in 2 in both the Dutch " Eridivisie " and the German " Bundesliga ", so obviously he seen as the " man " to keep us up. In the end he ended up being played as a target man in Dyche's rather predictable system, scored 2 goals in 20 games, and down we went ...

He's actually better with ball into feet, has a good touch, and brings others into play well ... as his goal drought went on, he started snatching at chances and trying to take too many on as the crowd increasingly got on his back.  With the World Cup coming up, the Dutch Coach announced that he would only consider players playing regular " top flight " football, which would have irked him. He'd also acquired a reputation as " difficult " in leaks coming from the training ground. On 5th July, he went on a season's long loan to Besiktas, apparently with no recall option, and Besiktas having a " purchase option " at the end of the loan.

He's scored 1 in 2 again in Turkey, and then obviously came to prominence with his two goals after coming on as a substitute in the World Cup Quarter final, with 7 minutes to go, and the Dutch 0-2 down against the Argentinians ... he also netted in the penalty shoot-out.

It looks like we've agreed the fees with United but Besiktas are playing hardball over a fee to release them from their loan agreement, which, naturally, we would be looking to United to cover as well. Even by the end of this season, he's still contracted to us for another 2 years. Hopefully for us, he goes to United, scores a goal a game, the United faithful start chanting " sign him on ", and we can name our price in June .... 😎 

I noticed they were attacking with bags of pace against Everton maybe they’re loaning him to slow the attack down a bit.

11 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

With the World Cup coming up, the Dutch Coach announced that he would only consider players playing regular " top flight " football, which would have irked him

As I understood it, when he signed it was agreed that if we were relegated he could go on loan to a top flight club because of the upcoming World Cup - I don’t think was something that came about after he signed. So he never refused to play in the Championship, he just negotiated a deal to protect his place in the National side.