BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

3 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Gonna need more than one centre half - Barnes has done his ACL

If that's true I feel sorry for the lad. What a blow for him just as he was about to push for a first team place. Shit news!..............for him and us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phili said:

We have paid £500k upfront, £1.5m in performance based payments based on promotion, appearances and goals as well as a 20% profit sell on clause. I think that is pretty low risk transfer to be honest.

Be certainly nowhere near the £2.5m being touted around

13 minutes ago, phili said:

We have paid £500k upfront, £1.5m in performance based payments based on promotion, appearances and goals as well as a 20% profit sell on clause. I think that is pretty low risk transfer to be honest.

Agree.

For perspective, I think we paid Gills £750k for Dack who had never played in Championship and we know how that turned out.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, phili said:

With all due respect, how do you know this? 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 2

I was confident that the fee was decent when it was announced as 'undisclosed' - usually a way for the selling club to not let their fans know that they've had their pants pulled down.

I'd heard <£1m as the initial fee and if it's around the £500k mark, that's a smart piece of business IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Time well tell, but reading the interview with the Posh chairman is really making me think that, if we paid anything like the 2.5 mill reported, we really got our pants pulled down on Szmodics.

Apparently he was close to making a loan move back down to League One in January, with Oxford, presumably whilst P'Boro were fighting relegation. The chairman's comments even suggest he was worried Szmodics would end up on Oxford's bench!! It really sounds like he was pants up to January and was McCann's 'best player for the last seven games'. Broughton has also been quoted as talking about how good he was for the last 10 games. We seem to have bought a player for a lot of money by our standards, on the basis of 7-10 good games at the end of the season. Until I see otherwise on the pitch I feel this move was bad business.

You've either conveniently or mistakenly missed out the part where those 10 good games were when hes was moved to play centrally, where he scored plenty of goals previously. He wasn't being utilised effectively prior to that clearly!

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Time well tell, but reading the interview with the Posh chairman is really making me think that, if we paid anything like the 2.5 mill reported, we really got our pants pulled down on Szmodics.

Apparently he was close to making a loan move back down to League One in January, with Oxford, presumably whilst P'Boro were fighting relegation. The chairman's comments even suggest he was worried Szmodics would end up on Oxford's bench!! It really sounds like he was pants up to January and was McCann's 'best player for the last seven games'. Broughton has also been quoted as talking about how good he was for the last 10 games. We seem to have bought a player for a lot of money by our standards, on the basis of 7-10 good games at the end of the season. Until I see otherwise on the pitch I feel this move was bad business.

Could just be a touch of the Brad Dacks in his later days at his previous club.

17 minutes ago, Neal said:

With all due respect, how do you know this? 

Whoever the source is, even if there is no source…it’s no less believable than those basking in us ‘having our pants pulled down’ at £2.5m for a player that no one has actually seen play. 

• Like 2

https://www.planetsport.com/soccer/news/barnsley-defender-poland-international-michal-helik-closes-record-lech-poznan-transfer

Barnsley have a greed a few with Poznan for Helik of 1.2 mill. Now I'd like to think that at that price we would've been all over that one. The only thing giving me hope is that we're looking to spend more on someone like Van Hecke. Otherwise, if we end up with crap loan and fed some nonsense about blocking pathways when a big polish international centre half was available for pittance... I won't be happy. 

There's a lot riding on how good a signing they make at centre half to define if this is a good or bad window because right now it's pretty poor and shows a lack of support for JDT. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Neal said:

https://www.planetsport.com/soccer/news/barnsley-defender-poland-international-michal-helik-closes-record-lech-poznan-transfer

Barnsley have a greed a few with Poznan for Helik of 1.2 mill. Now I'd like to think that at that price we would've been all over that one. The only thing giving me hope is that we're looking to spend more on someone like Van Hecke. Otherwise, if we end up with crap loan and fed some nonsense about blocking pathways when a big polish international centre half was available for pittance... I won't be happy. 

There's a lot riding on how good a signing they make at centre half to define if this is a good or bad window because right now it's pretty poor and shows a lack of support for JDT. 

Wow 1.2m...thats unreal 

11 minutes ago, Neal said:

I think it's premature to suggest that.

All of the signings so far made mention of 'it's been in the pipeline for a while now...' and I'm sure that's the case for the CB situation as well.

You'd like to expect some progress in the next week or so, but let's work on the presumption that the work is going on in the background and hope we see some results in the near future.

Edited by Andy
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Whoever the source is, even if there is no source…it’s no less believable than those basking in us ‘having our pants pulled down’ at £2.5m for a player that no one has actually seen play. 

I see your point but I think it's only right if someone details the figures and structure of an undisclosed fee as fact that they be asked how they know this. I'm certainly not calling that person a liar but to state something like that, they should be challenged so people know if it's trustworthy. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, phili said:

Haven't seen that reported anywhere, where are you getting that? Only figure I've seen is 2.5 mill. I don't expect that to be up front, no transfer is. Posh paid 1 mill for him, be odd to say they've rejected 3 bids more than they paid and then only take a guarantee of 500k. I can't imagine they're guaranteed any less than 1.5 mill.

14 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

You've either conveniently or mistakenly missed out the part where those 10 good games were when hes was moved to play centrally, where he scored plenty of goals previously. He wasn't being utilised effectively prior to that clearly!

Neither.

14 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Peterborough had seen him play when they considered loaning him back to League One.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Haven't seen that reported anywhere, where are you getting that? Only figure I've seen is 2.5 mill. I don't expect that to be up front, no transfer is. Posh paid 1 mill for him, be odd to say they've rejected 3 bids more than they paid and then only take a guarantee of 500k. I can't imagine they're guaranteed any less than 1.5 mill.

£2.5m from Barry Fry!? It’s in his interest it’s in to inflate the fee. The point I’m making is, who knows what the fee is and quite frankly, as fans do we really care? So long as he does the business, right?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Peterborough had seen him play when they considered loaning him back to League One.

Prove it. I really don’t wanna go down this line…let’s see if he’s any good hey? If he’s brilliant it won’t matter a jot if he was about to get loaned out or not OR what he cost….if he’s shit then for us to have paid 50p for him will be a waste! 

If Barnsley are prepared to sell Helik for that, they have another good (Danish) centre half who they'd let go even cheaper 🤔

I find it odd no English teams have come in for Helik, unless they have and he's got no interest in remaining in this country...

• Like 1