BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

How many would you say we need? I think 3 would be ok really. The wider plan is clearly to also blood our own youth, stock piling players ain't gonna happen, nice as it would be. The main problem with the model of course is it can be disrupted by injuries. No way Philips would have been thrown in like he has otherwise. He'd have played a few cup games and come on last 20 mins here and there. It'd be nice to have a bit of luck with injuries for once....

I don't think signing more than 3 is stockpiling.

We've lost 12 this summer, so bringing in a maximum of 6 to replace them is quite a scale back. If you are 'building' a squad it seems odd to me that the response to losing 12 players is to at most sign 5 and bring in 1 on loan. 

Granted it has been the view of most on here but 5-6 more is the number a lot of people have come with and one which I had in mind. 

There has been talk - and still is - of signing 2 CBs. If 2 of the remaining 3 are CBs then that leaves just 1 addition for all those other positions. I think we are short in several positions.

When JDT boldly promised a few weeks ago that we WOULD have a stronger squad come deadline day I interpreted that as meaning a bit more than a couple of CBs to address our crisis there and maybe 1 more. 

As ever I detect a drastic revision and scaling back to ambitions as the window wears on. It seems to happen every window, talk all the way through about exciting targets, healthy budgets and signings coming and then by the time the final week comes around the number drops to a few and the original names that were bandied about appear to have gone and been replaced with over the hill desperation deals like Caulker.

It just doesn't suggest a plan or ambition of any sort. Happy to be proven wrong but think JDT has had the situation spelled out to him and 3 is going to be the maximum we can hope for. And I still expect BBD to go which will be disastrous unless this lot get to spend the money and strengthen with it.

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

A load of D-listers there Chaddy. None of them (apart from Brittain maybe) make us stronger than last season

You couldn't possibly know that considering Hyam, Caulker and Morton have yet to play in the Championship for Rovers. 

Thank for proving the point though that you and a few others write players off that Rovers sign even when you don't know anything about them. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

How many would you say we need? I think 3 would be ok really. The wider plan is clearly to also blood our own youth, stock piling players ain't gonna happen, nice as it would be. The main problem with the model of course is it can be disrupted by injuries. No way Philips would have been thrown in like he has otherwise. He'd have played a few cup games and come on last 20 mins here and there. It'd be nice to have a bit of luck with injuries for once....

If we sign Hyam, it depends where the mystery 2nd and 3rd person plays.

If it's an experienced, physical midfielder and forward player that would be the bare minimum we can get away with. 

I'd prefer at least one more singing up top -  obviously if BBD goes, we need 2 attacking players.

My thoughts on leftback are well known but it could be kicked down the road till next season and just be the  glaring weakness it's been for years 🤦🏻‍♂️

Hyam + Cm + CF on permanent deals. 

Phillips signs.

Last minute loan for a left back 🙏

Depending on the quality of the other 2 signings would make it a decent to good window - if BBD stays.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We've lost 12 this summer, so bringing in a maximum of 6 to replace them is quite a scale back. If you are 'building' a squad it seems odd to me that the response to losing 12 players is to at most sign 5 and bring in 1 on loan. 

Which of the Departed Dozen do you think we miss?

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Not really lost 12 though have we? it's really 8, and a push 10 if you count Davenport & Zeefuik who never really got a look in through injury or just not deemed wanted by the previous incumbent. So 6 in while adding 3 or 4 youth players is covering the numbers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I think 3 more is fine 6 in total and the mooted positions all filled.

CBx2, RB, CM, AM and a forward. Sure there are people on here who want a new lb or a striker. I would like another CM. But it’s what the manager wants that matters 👍🏼

I think the manager would like more than 3 but apparently he doesn't get a say in it!

What would be a first from Rovers would be getting these '3' in by Tuesday and seeing whether any  'gems' or quality loan options appear on the last day. 

23 minutes ago, Gav said:

Have we actually signed anyone else other than the lad from Peterborough?

Yes Callum Brittain from Barnsley 

Media including Sharpe reckons it was £1 million with clauses leading to £1.5 

And the Peterborough lad a deal rising to £2.5 million 

Morton loaned from Liverpool

Hyam from Coventry fee agreed, media suggesting 2.5 million

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Which of the Departed Dozen do you think we miss?

Van Hecke and Lenihan big misses - so far neither replaced and if Caulker is coming in that's a downgrade IMO

Khadra - not replaced

Rothwell - not replaced 

Both of these provided much needed creativity and a goal or two.

Brad Johnson - not missed in so far as what he delivered on the pitch last season - but missed as experience and an option to call upon especially late in games when an extra body needed - not replaced.

So even if we leave it at that - there's 4 or 5 that contributed significantly or were at least useful to have around the place who haven't been replaced.

That's on the basis we are directly comparing to last year and not looking to improve on last year - I'd actually like to have MORE options than last year

Is the height of ambition here just to try and cover for these departures with as few additions as possible? Or is it to improve on what we did last year?

You seem to be mixing two things up here. I'm not arguing that all or even most of those that left I wanted to keep - I didn't - I was and am quite happy to see some of them go, and yes their contributions last season may have been minimal. But that doesn't mean we just head into a full season without bringing replacements in and hope the youngsters are up to it - which looks like what the plan is. Sooner or later for example we will need someone else to come into midfield - suspensions will come- and as soon as they do we are struggling and down to the bare bones again.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Not really lost 12 though have we? it's really 8, and a push 10 if you count Davenport & Zeefuik who never really got a look in through injury or just not deemed wanted by the previous incumbent. So 6 in while adding 3 or 4 youth players is covering the numbers

It's 12. I've named them and can name them again if you need. 

I'm not interested in what the individuals did or didn't do, they were all experienced players who when fit could be called upon to fill in or could be turned to in the event of injuries or suspensions to see us through. 

6 while hoping 3-4 kids make up the shortfall is not covering 12 departures no. And that's assuming the 3-4 kids are up to the same standard, which nobody knows yet.

As above I'd hoped there was a plan to IMPROVE on the depth and options of last season with more quality but seems merely filling in the gaps and hoping is the plan.

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Van Hecke and Lenihan big misses - so far neither replaced and if Caulker is coming in that's a downgrade IMO

Khadra - not replaced

Rothwell - not replaced 

Brad Johnson - not missed in so far as what he delivered on the pitch last season - but missed as experience and an option to call upon especially late in games when an extra body needed - not replaced.

So even if we leave it at that - there's 4 or 5 that contributed significantly or were at least useful to have around the place who haven't been replaced.

That's on the basis we are directly comparing to last year and not looking to improve on last year - I'd actually like to have MORE options than last year

Is the height of ambition here just to try and cover for these departures with as few additions as possible? Or is it to improve on what we did last year?

You seem to be mixing two things up here. I'm not arguing that all or even most of those that left I wanted to keep - I didn't - I was and am quite happy to see some of them go, and yes their contributions last season may have been minimal. But that doesn't mean we just head into a full season without bringing replacements in and hope the youngsters are up to it - which looks like what the plan is. Sooner or later for example we will need someone else to come into midfield - suspensions will come- and as soon as they do we are struggling and down to the bare bones again.

Two a stretch you could say 

Rothwell - Hedges

Khadra, maybe Markanday?

Markanday, Dack, A. Wharton, Edun

smodicz who was the Rothwell replacement - the jury is still out. 

several players who could do a job is coming back. No need to pile up with journeymen. 

5 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

A squad should get stronger each year.  Having to replace that amount of players us really poor from the previous management.  Clearly the result of underinvestment and too many loans. 

Whilst we've lost a lot, there are also members of the current squad who need replacing with better quality. That's not being addressed at all because we are still plugging holes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Granted it has been the view of most on here but 5-6 more is the number a lot of people have come with and one which I had in mind. 

There has been talk - and still is - of signing 2 CBs. If 2 of the remaining 3 are CBs then that leaves just 1 addition for all those other positions. I think we are short in several positions.

When JDT boldly promised a few weeks ago that we WOULD have a stronger squad come deadline day I interpreted that as meaning a bit more than a couple of CBs to address our crisis there and maybe 1 more. 

As ever I detect a drastic revision and scaling back to ambitions as the window wears on. It seems to happen every window, talk all the way through about exciting targets, healthy budgets and signings coming and then by the time the final week comes around the number drops to a few and the original names that were bandied about appear to have gone and been replaced with over the hill desperation deals like Caulker.

It just doesn't suggest a plan or ambition of any sort. Happy to be proven wrong but think JDT has had the situation spelled out to him and 3 is going to be the maximum we can hope for. And I still expect BBD to go which will be disastrous unless this lot get to spend the money and strengthen with it.

Markanday and Hedges were rarely used last season.Hedges has started the season well, Markanday has it to prove.Still two options we didn't really call upon last year.

Buckley now playing in the role he played when underage and his attributes SHOULD be better suited to that position.

Brittain replaced Nyambe.

Szmodic and Dack two players we couldn't call upon last season both have goals in them.

Fee agreed for Hyam. 

Morton highly rated at Liverpool,but  of course yet to prove himself.

We also have some exciting prospects that can play a part this season 

We need a few more in but we ain't in terrible shape 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yes Callum Brittain from Barnsley 

Media including Sharpe reckons it was £1 million with clauses leading to £1.5 

And the Peterborough lad a deal rising to £2.5 million 

Morton loaned from Liverpool

Hyam from Coventry fee agreed, media suggesting 2.5 million

Thanks Islander, I'd forgotten about Brittain.

Hyam deal not done as yet according to papers, its takes us an inordinate amount of time to get deals over the line.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It's 12. I've named them and can name them again if you need. 

I'm not interested in what the individuals did or didn't do, they were all experienced players who when fit could be called upon to fill in or could be turned to in the event of injuries or suspensions to see us through. 

6 while hoping 3-4 kids make up the shortfall is not covering 12 departures no. And that's assuming the 3-4 kids are up to the same standard, which nobody knows yet.

As above I'd hoped there was a plan to IMPROVE on the depth and options of last season with more quality but seems merely filling in the gaps and hoping is the plan.

You do not understand the word replaced if you think a player taking another's position is not a replacement. You are complaining that "In Your Opinion" we have reduced the quality in the squad, two completely different things. On that point you can carry on complaining as I will judge when I see them play for "Rovers" more than a handful of times then a discussion can be had

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

You couldn't possibly know that considering Hyam, Caulker and Morton have yet to play in the Championship for Rovers. 

Thank for proving the point though that you and a few others write players off that Rovers sign even when you don't know anything about them. 

Or he has an opinion..like you appear to.

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Khadra - not replaced

Rothwell - not replaced 

The two are linked though, clearly. 

Take the CM position. The likes of Davenport and Johnson contributed virtually nothing. Rothwell contributed. So we've effectively lost 1 player there who had any kind of positive impact on the team. Rothwell has been replaced by Morton. Rothwell has also been replaced (effectively) by Buckley. We've also gone from 3CM's to 2CM's so we're actually in a healthier position than last season, numbers wise. I'd prefer we brought someone in as competition for the Travis role. We'd be in trouble if he got injured. 

I agree that Van Hecke and Lenihan are big misses - presumably why we are signing Cualker and Hyam (who you missed out). Still talk of SVDB to come back...and we also have Philips and Carter. So again, we don't really know if we'll be 'weaker' as again we've gone from 3CB's to 2CB's. 

Khadra has already been replaced by Szmodics as they both count part of the '4 forwards' JDT employs. Dack coming back also makes us stronger. Add in a fit Markanday and a new improved Hedges and again we are arguably stronger than last season as far as attackers go. And we are going to sign someone else apparently. The big loss will be BBD going - hopefully there is a plan in place for that happening. 

I'd also prefer a better LB but maybe that will wait until they find one. 

So all-in-all there is an argument to stay we are not any weaker, and potentially stronger. 

• Like 2