BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Radio Rovers - 1404 AM - A look back

We โ€˜thought bigโ€™ in many areas, a truly innovative club. Be it RR, RoverVision, the Blues Bar, club lounges, town centre shop and cafe and so on. We also had a network of supporters groups across the area. I could go on and on.

Now, unlike the likes of Darwen FC and Clitheroe, we donโ€™t even have a match day programme, and seemingly canโ€™t keep the estate free of weeds.

These owners donโ€™t half throw in a lot of cash, and have such a ramshackle, small time operation to show for it.

ย 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I certainly miss it now.

Would be great to have it to listen to midweek games whilst I'm at work.ย 

I miss it too. It genuinely had me looking forward to games a lot more, particularly midweek games, as it was part of my match day experience, so to speak. I found it engaging and welcoming, plus the crew cared about the club like the rest of us did.

It would have been interesting to hear the thoughts of Gerald, Neil and Wendy on JDT, the new signings (that we hope arrive) and JDT's style of football over the coming season.

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

We โ€˜thought bigโ€™ in many areas, a truly innovative club. Be it RR, RoverVision, the Blues Bar, club lounges, town centre shop and cafe and so on. We also had a network of supporters groups across the area. I could go on and on.

Now, unlike the likes of Darwen FC and Clitheroe, we donโ€™t even have a match day programme, and seemingly canโ€™t keep the estate free of weeds.

These owners donโ€™t half throw in a lot of cash, and have such a ramshackle, small time operation to show for it.

ย 

Whatever the opposite of "think big" is, we've had a bucketful of it since this lot rocked up, and we continue to be served up with it. To spend the amount they have and end up with the club looking like this sums them up.

There isn't a better example of the small time mentality in action than swag, in my view. Anything he can get away with downsizing and reducing, he will do.

Like you said, we used to be a proactive club, innovative, looking at ways to grow the club, trying to keep the support base happy, talking the club up and showing some ambition. There were many things to be proud of, which have been run down or lost entirely since 2010.ย 

It's not likely to change until new owners come in and people like swag are replaced. I don't care what bullshit Barry might say or swag might say to people who go and see him. They talk shit just to keep the fans off their backs.

They used to have a slot called Rhythm of the Blues where a player would have some of his favourite songs played whilst doing a bit of an introduction to each one. The excellent Wendy did the interviewing. I always think of Martin Taylor when I hear Just Looking by the Stereophonics ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Like 1

The year was around 2000. I had the portable stereo radio/CD player/audio tape player/recorder set up. Radio Rovers was on 1404 and playing.ย I set off to Ewood with instructions to my better half to start recording the radio at 2:30. ย Tapes could only record for a limited time. I still have the recording and listen to it often with great delight.

The match was against Huddersfield Town who had Scott Sellars playing for them. Tony Parkes was manager. It was the first league match since winning at Anfield in the cup.

Gerald Jackson had a scotsman called John as co-commentator who had a bad cold and seemed to be in his own little world. Children were taking penalties pre-match. Music played included Protect Your Mind (for the love of a Princess) and We Will Rock You by Queen.

Gerald Jackson has what I call a "radio" voice. Not many presenters have this. John Dunn was another.ย 

ย 

• Like 3

I used to have a pint with Gerald fairly regularly in the Royal Oak at Pleckgate (how about that for a humble brag ๐Ÿ’โ€โ™‚๏ธ),ย it was like being on his show, certainly didnโ€™t put the voice on for effect, like some DeeeeJayys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bazza said:

The year was around 2000. I had the portable stereo radio/CD player/audio tape player/recorder set up. Radio Rovers was on 1404 and playing.ย I set off to Ewood with instructions to my better half to start recording the radio at 2:30. ย Tapes could only record for a limited time. I still have the recording and listen to it often with great delight.

The match was against Huddersfield Town who had Scott Sellars playing for them. Tony Parkes was manager. It was the first league match since winning at Anfield in the cup.

Gerald Jackson had a scotsman called John as co-commentator who had a bad cold and seemed to be in his own little world. Children were taking penalties pre-match. Music played included Protect Your Mind (for the love of a Princess) and We Will Rock You by Queen.

Gerald Jackson has what I call a "radio" voice. Not many presenters have this. John Dunn was another.ย 

ย 

It was good fun and the hours would fly by. Gerald was the ideal host and I agree, he had the voice for it.

I'm sure old recordings of Radio Rovers were available for a time on Gerald's website, 'gjmedia.co.uk'. I remember listening to an old broadcast, or part of it, on there around 9/10 years ago.

I don't know if that is still possible though, as for the past few years there has been a 'this site may harm your computer' message appear in regards to that website. I don't think it has been active since Gerald left RR.

Still, good times. Oh and yes, Arbitro, that does bring back memories. On Wendy, I remember Morten and Benni were always good for an interview with her. They'd often have a laugh, were interesting to listen to and were quality players at the end of the day (certainly, when compared with what we have seen since).

Where did it all go wrong? (As if that needs answering)

• Like 2

Wendy did an interview with Jack Walker,it was a great listen.Came across as a very professional production.

'93 eh...happy days,memories of better times for our Rovers,people on all levels at the Club who really did give a damn.

You don't know what you got till it's gone.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1

I used to love listening to Radio Rovers on the way to games as a kid, the signal got stronger as you travelled over the hills from Rossendale - you knew you were on your way!

Couldn't stand Wendy though, far too shrill for my liking.

Those videos are so sad. Through the 90s and 00s there was a constant sense of optimism and excitement around the club, even when we were back in Division 1. Now it's just constant cut backs and lowering of standards. It makes no logical sense given how much is being pumped in each year to keep us going.

• Like 4