BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Head Of Player Recruitment - Gus Williams

48 minutes ago, slowmo said:

It seems we have a new head of player recruitment. 

Gus Williams from the Wales set up .

Been a few hours and not seen it mentioned yet ,so here we are .

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2022/july/22/welcome--gus-williams/

It was mentioned hours ago in the transfer thread, I think I was the first to bring it up. But it does deserve its own thread.

Like I said in there, I think we are running a little bit of a risk of senior personnel who are doing something for the first time. DoF that hasn't been one before, manager that has 3 years of management experience but hasn't managed in England before, and now a Head of Recruitment who has only worked the rather different national recruitment scene. None of that is to say any of them won't be perfect for the roles they're in, just it's a bit of a risk having our three most important football non-playing staff be taking a step to something out of their previous history. (There's the Assistant too of course, I don't know his history but I don't think he has worked in England?)

May all prove to be strokes of genius though. Sounds like he has a good knowledge of the game.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

JDT number 2 has worked in Championship at Sheffield Wednesday 

Thanks. That's a positive. Obviously JDT isn't a complete stranger to English football either, just to managing here.

• Like 1

The most impressive element of this is the comments of Broughton on the website .

A welcome sign of professionalism at the club.

Of course as I keep on saying words mean little if not backed up with anything but I really like to see him explaining the logic behind the appointment and yesterday's signing. At the very least it looks like we are doing things properly.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It was mentioned hours ago in the transfer thread, I think I was the first to bring it up. But it does deserve its own thread.

Like I said in there, I think we are running a little bit of a risk of senior personnel who are doing something for the first time. DoF that hasn't been one before, manager that has 3 years of management experience but hasn't managed in England before, and now a Head of Recruitment who has only worked the rather different national recruitment scene. None of that is to say any of them won't be perfect for the roles they're in, just it's a bit of a risk having our three most important football non-playing staff be taking a step to something out of their previous history. (There's the Assistant too of course, I don't know his history but I don't think he has worked in England?)

May all prove to be strokes of genius though. Sounds like he has a good knowledge of the game.

Nice to see the move away from an old boys club though to a set of people hopefully with something to prove.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yes I get your point regarding previous experience in the roles 👍 

I'm just happy there now seems a structure in place and after Glen's Swag reveals last night.  Even he seems doesn't to be the black death portrayed. 

I would personly prefer experience in the national set up to club  , with Gus Williams being in his previous position for 20 years ( I think 🤔) . Compared with Parks .

Hasn't the new head of fitness,  manager and assistant all been involved at international level?

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The most impressive element of this is the comments of Broughton on the website .

A welcome sign of professionalism at the club.

Of course as I keep on saying words mean little if not backed up with anything but I really like to see him explaining the logic behind the appointment and yesterday's signing. At the very least it looks like we are doing things properly.

Do you mean the last bit on Brittian and Williams announcement,  where GB thanks the previous club / Welsh fa for their professionalism / help on the matter ?

I noticed this and a nice professional step forward 

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Nice to see the move away from an old boys club though to a set of people hopefully with something to prove.

True, although it crossed the cynical part of my mind that it might be a bit of a new boys club, as it were. As in, Broughton recognising someone else who is taking a bit of a step into a slightly unfamiliar role. Perhaps just seeing something of himself in him, or (says the cynic) someone who doesn't have the prior reputation in club football to challenge him too much. Again, probably just the cynic chirping up a bit too loudly.

4 minutes ago, slowmo said:

Do you mean the last bit on Brittian and Williams announcement,  where GB thanks the previous club / Welsh fa for their professionalism / help on the matter ?

I noticed this and a nice professional step forward 

Well yes that partly, but I was referring more to:

“Achieving excellence in player trading is vital in our aim of establishing Blackburn Rovers as an aspiring and ambitious club, and Gus will be key in helping us to develop this area.

“When we sat down to look at what we wanted from this role we targeted three criteria:

· A proven track record of working within elite performance recruitment and scouting of players;
· Excellence in creating structure and running processes;
· Outstanding people skills with the ability to build relationships.

“Gus has a track record of excelling in all three areas. During his 22 years working with the Welsh FA, he has played a big part in their journey, rising over 100 places in the FIFA rankings and now qualifying for the 2022 World Cup for the first time since 1958, with a squad of whom 90% have graduated through their talent identification programme.

“More importantly, his values and emotional intelligence will allow him to develop the key part of any recruitment programme – relationships"

I know it's easy to say but it just looks impressive and suggests we have people who know what they are doing 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

True, although it crossed the cynical part of my mind that it might be a bit of a new boys club, as it were. As in, Broughton recognising someone else who is taking a bit of a step into a slightly unfamiliar role. Perhaps just seeing something of himself in him, or (says the cynic) someone who doesn't have the prior reputation in club football to challenge him too much. Again, probably just the cynic chirping up a bit too loudly.

After our history with agents and jobs for the boys . It's good to see people appointed via interviews and the skill set they can bring to the party.  Long may it continue. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, slowmo said:

I would personly prefer experience in the national set up to club  , with Gus Williams being in his previous position for 20 years ( I think 🤔) . Compared with Parks .

I don't understand why you prefer experience in the national set up to club, especially when he's now working in club football? It means he has never had to care about what a player costs, has had a very limited subset of players he has scouted, hasn't worked within the different architecture of a club setup, players he finds for country can just not be picked again instead of burdening a club financially if they turn out to not be good enough...

International football is also less intensive due to the limited fixtures, although this probably doesn't apply to the scouting setup who will likely be watching the players anyway at club level. I do feel like it might still be a little more relaxed and less pressure though, but I could easily be wrong there.

Staying with one employer for 20 years isn't an advantage unless you're that employer either, as it means he hasn't faced new challenges and gained a wider range of experiences. Frankly, Park had a far better CV, though I do suspect he may have been heading slightly over the hill.

(Again before anyone jumps on, I'm not saying it's the wrong move, just pointing some things out)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slowmo said:

It seems we have a new head of player recruitment. 

Gus Williams from the Wales set up .

Been a few hours and not seen it mentioned yet ,so here we are .

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2022/july/22/welcome--gus-williams/

Was this not mentioned a day or two back and it all fell through or am I thinking of something else? 

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I don't understand why you prefer experience in the national set up to club, especially when he's now working in club football? It means he has never had to care about what a player costs, has had a very limited subset of players he has scouted, hasn't worked within the different architecture of a club setup, players he finds for country can just not be picked again instead of burdening a club financially if they turn out to not be good enough...

International football is also less intensive due to the limited fixtures, although this probably doesn't apply to the scouting setup who will likely be watching the players anyway at club level. I do feel like it might still be a little more relaxed and less pressure though, but I could easily be wrong there.

Staying with one employer for 20 years isn't an advantage unless you're that employer either, as it means he hasn't faced new challenges and gained a wider range of experiences. Frankly, Park had a far better CV, though I do suspect he may have been heading slightly over the hill.

(Again before anyone jumps on, I'm not saying it's the wrong move, just pointing some things out)

It does have its advantages in that he's worked within much tighter parameters at international level, in that he could only identify Welsh players.

The track record of rising through the world rankings as quickly as they have with players apparently identified via his own programme is a positive.

Applying that criteria to a wider scope of players at club level should mean he can have more scope and scouting to do (IE: a new challenge that isn't SO different).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Was this not mentioned a day or two back and it all fell through or am I thinking of something else? 

It was mentioned more than a day or two back I'd say, probably about 4 or 5, then a day or two back it was said it had fallen through. There might have been a hiccup, perhaps that he couldn't start right away and then we decided it was fine. Who (on here) knows?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Yes there was 'talk' and R Sharp saying someone of his appearance was at one of the Scottish friendlies . Now confirm 

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Main thing is imo somebody at the top pulling it all together, directing it in the right direction for the good of the club and fans before all else.

That's what we've had in the past when we've been punching our weight or above it so do we have that now ?

Not so sure myself but we are about to find out.

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

It does have its advantages in that he's worked within much tighter parameters at international level, in that he could only identify English players with a Welsh granny

The track record of rising through the world rankings as quickly as they have with players apparently identified via his own programme is a positive.

Applying that criteria to a wider scope of players at club level should mean he can have more scope and scouting to do (IE: a new challenge that isn't SO different).

Changed it

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

It does have its advantages in that he's worked within much tighter parameters at international level, in that he could only identify Welsh players.

Sounds like a negative that to me Mike.  Let's be fair any of us could name the best 11 Welsh guys.

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Sounds like a negative that to me Mike.  Let's be fair any of us could name the best 11 Welsh guys.

That's the manager's job, not his 😉

22 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

In 2018 Jamie Lawrence was called up , no Welsh links , found by the Welsh FA.

I would guess it's harder recruting players for countries like wales ,  as got to research family links etc . Diaz

...https://thecorrespondent.com/406/the-curious-tale-of-the-football-international-nobody-ever-heard-of-because-he-was-born-in-the-wrong-month

Edited by slowmo
Link