BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sean Kimberley the new head of recruitment at Rovers

Just now, rigger said:

Why did he leave the Rovers ?

from the article 

In 2007, he joined Aston Villa as Youth Development Officer, heading up their Academy recruitment, before being promoted to Academy Director in 2014, assuming responsibility for overseeing the Midlands club’s longstanding excellence in youth development.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

from the article 

In 2007, he joined Aston Villa as Youth Development Officer, heading up their Academy recruitment, before being promoted to Academy Director in 2014, assuming responsibility for overseeing the Midlands club’s longstanding excellence in youth development.

That is why he joined Villa. What I wanted to know is why he left the Rovers.

• Like 2

Been a lot of pissing around in the recruitment department over the last few years with staff coming and going so hard to see this as a new dawn until the actual recruitment improves. This season its not improved or changed (borrowing kids including a token one from Liverpool, players on Mowbray's list and players already known to staff ie Thomas and windows that were as much about what we didnt get and paperwork embarassments) and with seemingly a closed wallet in the summer, time for Kimberley and Broughton to show what they can offer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's why to join VIlla

At the time going to villa was a step backwards. In fact I would even say at the moment our academy is better than Villas. I am not saying that the appointment is a bad one. I just wanted to know why he decided to leave the Rovers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Been a lot of pissing around in the recruitment department over the last few years with staff coming and going so hard to see this as a new dawn until the actual recruitment improves. This season its not improved or changed (borrowing kids including a token one from Liverpool, players on Mowbray's list and players already known to staff ie Thomas and windows that were as much about what we didnt get and paperwork embarassments) and with seemingly a closed wallet in the summer, time for Kimberley and Broughton to show what they can offer.

Players on Mowbray's list? isn't it the club list not Mowbray's list. 

Also the paperwork embarrassment is zero involvement from the recruitment department/team but that problem belong with the Club Secretary/admin department

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

At the time going to villa was a step backwards. In fact I would even say at the moment our academy is better than Villas. I am not saying that the appointment is a bad one. I just wanted to know why he decided to leave the Rovers.

was the Rovers academy better than Villa in 2007? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

All I want to know is, has this guy been in charge of recruitment at senior level elsewhere? If he hasn't, he shouldn't be getting near this job. If he has, what was his track record?

Nepotism. Jobs for the boys. No experience in this department. Wish I could get a job as head of recruitment without having any experience of recruitment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

Nepotism. Jobs for the boys. No experience in this department. Wish I could get a job as head of recruitment without having any experience of recruitment.

Led emerging talent recruitment at Celtic, Head of first team scouting at Plymouth, Head of academy recruitment leading a huge department at Villa……

9 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

After leaving Aston Villa in 2019, Sean has held scouting positions with Plymouth Argyle and Scottish champions Celtic, and returns to Rovers with 30 years’ experience of coaching, development and recruitment of players at both youth and elite level

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

After leaving Aston Villa in 2019, Sean has held scouting positions with Plymouth Argyle and Scottish champions Celtic, and returns to Rovers with 30 years’ experience of coaching, development and recruitment of players at both youth and elite level

So he has had a few years of being a scout, sending reports to someone else but not making the decisions himself? I wouldn't say that qualifies him for the post, not at a club like ours.

In fact if one of those gigs was at Celtic, he may have worked under our previous head of recruitment John Park?

This isn't an area we should skimp in. Relative to players, these sorts of roles don't cost us much, but the cost of bad recruitment vs good recruitment is immense. It's a false economy to get someone inexperienced because they're cheap.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What I take from this, is that he left Rovers to try to better his career. This didn't quite work out for him.  His downward spiral was not as dramatic as ours, but he has ended up at our level. Is he a good recruit for us ? I doubt it.  

• Like 3

The bigger the recruitment department gets the harder we seem to find it to bring in players!

Joking aside Broughton needs this third window to be a bloody good one. Even if you absolve him of all blame for the O’Brien fiasco (and you can’t) his inability to bring in even a bog standard striker means he’s been a failure thus far.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

So he has had a few years of being a scout, sending reports to someone else but not making the decisions himself? I wouldn't say that qualifies him for the post, not at a club like ours.

GB and JDT made the final decisions on who we signed. His job is scouting players and finalise a shortlist of targets for each position

In fact if one of those gigs was at Celtic, he may have worked under our previous head of recruitment John Park?

don't know

This isn't an area we should skimp in. Relative to players, these sorts of roles don't cost us much, but the cost of bad recruitment vs good recruitment is immense. It's a false economy to get someone inexperienced because they're cheap.

I agree that we shouldn't go cheap but we go for the right person who fits the role. Also depends who was interested in the job also

31 minutes ago, rigger said:

What I take from this, is that he left Rovers to try to better his career. This didn't quite work out for him.  His downward spiral was not as dramatic as ours, but he has ended up at our level. Is he a good recruit for us ? I doubt it.  

Exactly.