BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sean Kimberley the new head of recruitment at Rovers

35 minutes ago, rigger said:

What I take from this, is that he left Rovers to try to better his career. This didn't quite work out for him.  His downward spiral was not as dramatic as ours, but he has ended up at our level. Is he a good recruit for us ? I doubt it.  

Most people don't stay at one club and move to different clubs for new roles or better roles. 

Did you stay at one company during your career or did you move on to other companies for better pay and job roles

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Most people don't stay at one club and move to different clubs for new roles or better roles. 

Did you stay at one company during your career or did you move on to other companies for better pay and job roles

Yes I did stay with one company, till I was too old (the RAF). Then I got another job. Now I am retired. Not that it has anything to do with the topic. 

• Like 2

Looking at his cv he obviously has a strong background in youth football and a modest amount of experience in senior recruitment. 

Reading between the lines it strikes me that our transfer strategy will reflect his skill set, where we're going to weight our recruitment heavily towards young players.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You slag players off when they go for more money and say that they shouldn't move for massive pay rises...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Yes I did stay with one company, till I was too old (the RAF). Then I got another job. Now I am retired. Not that it has anything to do with the topic. 

I find it strange so many people are writing this guy off straight away.

Chaddy had a point about people changing jobs, that is what most people do. Thr RAF doesn't count as any kind of response to what he asked. It's not like you can resign and join the French air force because they are offering you more money and a company car.

As you say though, all of that is irrelevant. Hopefully he can pull the rabbit out of the hat

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Fair enough. Some people move for more money or better job security or promotion. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

You slag players off when they go for more money and say that they shouldn't move for massive pay rises...

Our wages are very different to most footballer wages. 

This screams preparation for life in the Championship which is sensible.

I would imagine he will be "Joined" by a Director of Recruitment if we make it to the Premier League depending on how he performs.

At least his heart is in Rovers which is a very important consideration.

Incidentally there was a fascinating article about how Arsenal found Martinelli and Sako- in the Mirror I think.

• Backroom
8 hours ago, tomphil said:

Snapping up other clubs academy cast offs and loans will probably be this fellas remit.

Worked well for us tbf:

Travis, Buckley, JRC were castoffs from other academies.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fair enough. Some people move for more money or better job security or promotion. 

Our wages are very different to most footballer wages. 

They are but a footballers career is much shorter and earning more within that time can transform the life the player and their family live for the rest of their life.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Worked well for us tbf:

Yep hopefully he starts with the striker problem that has plagued us forever in terms of non coming through.

We had to spend 7 mill to find a young one then wait years for him to start paying it back so there'll still need to be regular money invested.

• Like 1

A line from Broughton on the appointment. Does he do irony (in light of the O'Brien fiasco).

“We would like to thank Celtic Football Club for dealing with Sean’s move as professionally and efficiently as possible.”

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Chaddy had a point about people changing jobs, that is what most people do. Thr RAF doesn't count as any kind of response to what he asked. It's not like you can resign and join the French air force because they are offering you more money and a company car.

As you say though, all of that is irrelevant. Hopefully he can pull the rabbit out of the hat

Of course rigger’s example is relevant. Folk leave the forces all the time for jobs in the civil sector, you don’t have to try and get a move to the US Marine Corps 😁

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yep hopefully he starts with the striker problem that has plagued us forever in terms of non coming through.

We had to spend 7 mill to find a young one then wait years for him to start paying it back so there'll still need to be regular money invested.

In truth, BBD has paid nowt back. Goes missing when needed and leaving for nothing after the club’s massive investment in him. The model hasn’t worked with him, that’s for sure 🙈

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Worked well for us tbf:

And that's absolutely fine for youth team recruitment. Those are players who took years to come good. A head of recruitment needs to also be able to sign first team ready players.

Wrong about Buckley btw, he's been with us since he was 6. He's Manchester born, that might be what you're thinking of.

12 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I have never wrote the guy off, all I asked was why did he leave the Rovers ?

Ordinarily I would see the addition such as this as a positive, a step forward. For too long this club has not operated at a level befitting of its size and stature, particularly when it comes to backroom staff. Too many occasions of the manager and his mates running everything as they want, neglectful ownership allowing a vacuum to exist. Jobs for the boys and a mass exodus and head scratching the moment a manager leaves.

So for that reason I like what Broughton has worked to do since his arrival - bolstering that backroom team with appointments that look to be sensible in the scheme of things, and in theory putting in place a structure that can last longer term

Unfortunately as we saw in January it actually means very little. You can have the best of the best when it comes to coaches, academies, scouts, intentions, but fundamentally in the cut throat world of the Championship you have to be willing and able to get proper signings done at key moments.

We failed.

We can blame Venkys, Waggott, Pasha, Broughton, Gus Williams, Ian Silvestre or the whole lot of them. Doesn't matter. What matters is we failed to get what we needed to do done.

Since then the only change made public has been for Gus Williams to walk off to another job and replace him with Kimberley. I'd be surprised and astonished if there was a suggestion that he was responsible for January's debacle.

Other than that  nothing but the usual silence and inertia so my only  conclusion is that the powers that be are quite content with how things went and are sticking with the same people who oversaw it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He's rated highly at Celtic apparently. Mind you, we've heard that before!

But they have cash and a proper structure in place to run a football club. Only guessing but I don’t think they would have failed so spectacularly when attempting the simple task of registering a player by a known deadline. Just saying !

• Like 2

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

They are but a footballers career is much shorter and earning more within that time can transform the life the player and their family live for the rest of their life.

yes still earned massively amount to people on the average salary in the UK which is 28k a year. Just let that sink in for a minute

8 hours ago, rigger said:

I have never wrote the guy off, all I asked was why did he leave the Rovers ?

That wasn't specifically directed at you. A lot of people seem to be quite down about the appointment of someone we know very little about.

A lot of people seem to be experts in football recruitment now it seems.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

yes still earned massively amount to people on the average salary in the UK which is 28k a year. Just let that sink in for a minute

So a player on £4,000 a week should turn down a 4/5 year deal on £40,000 a week because Joe Bloggs in some random office is on 28k a year?

Err, ok…

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Footballers are doing a job, I can’t blame any of them for jumping ship for more cash, I’d definitely do the same. It’s only the same as any of us getting a pay rise for doing well in our jobs to be fair. Once you take the emotion out of it, I find it miles easier to empathise with.

• Like 2