BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers hard men

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/11/2023 at 06:29, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Somebody has already mentioned Nicky Reid. I remember Vinnie Jones trying to intimedate Reid early in a game only for Reid leave Jones in pain while attempting to slide tackle Reid at shin height

Whenever I mention this nobody seems to recall it, so I'm pleased that I didn't imagine it. I always thought Reid was hard, but fair. However, when someone crossed the line Reid wouldn't have it. Jones had proper kicked Reid a couple of times, so when Reid had the opportunity he put one on Jones. My recollection is that Jones was pointing and swearing to try to intimidate Reid, but Reid went for him. Jones proper backtracked. 

I always thought Andy Todd was a similar style hard man. Hard, but fair. If you crossed the line, though, he'd literally kick your the backside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRzk181_wd8

Edited by DanLad
Insert link
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, DanLad said:

I always thought Andy Todd was a similar style hard man. Hard, but fair. If you crossed the line, though, he'd literally kick your the backside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRzk181_wd8

Nah, Todd was normally the one crossing the line mate. Hard? Debatable. Fair? Ask Dugarry, Van Persie and worst of all his dad’s mate at Bolton, the coach Phil Brown.

You're spot on about Nicky Reid though.

On 20/11/2023 at 15:05, oldjamfan1 said:

Savage wasn't hard. Todd wasn't either. He was just a stupid thug. Apart from those already mentioned, off the top of my head Mickey Speight, Lucas Neill, Ryan Nelsen, Howie Gayle, Nicky Reid, Colin Hendry, Henning Berg, Gael Givet, Alex Baptiste, Jermaine Jones, Michel Salgado, Aaron Mokoena. Proper hard men.

We haven't had a proper hard man for a long, long time. Travis? Ha ha ha  

David Batty?

Kevin Moran was tough as fuck but not nasty.

• Like 2

On 27/11/2023 at 19:04, Armchair supporter supremo said:

On the subject of doing jobs for footballers, I once helped fit a Carpet in Colin Hendrys house in St annes back in the early 2000s

He was a gent tbh! Made time to have a chat with everyone and even brought the brews in himself. 

His late wife was there and his young kids where shooting about, it was a nice warm family home

Heard a story of a guy that went to hendry's home to do a job. Hendry unloaded the guys truck fir him while hendrys wife cooked the guy breakfast 

• Like 2

On 23/12/2023 at 15:55, roverandout said:

Heard a story of a guy that went to hendry's home to do a job. Hendry unloaded the guys truck fir him while hendrys wife cooked the guy breakfast 

That’s because he’s a proper working class bloke. Yes he had a few demons and some shitty times in his life to deal with but big Col is one of us. 

• Like 5