BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers hard men

Good article on Lucas Neill. He was at Preston crown court so assume he lives locally. Not the first and won't be the last footballer to lose millions, though it seems he has been naive rather than negligent in his business dealings.

Wouldn't classify him as a hard man but he certainly didn't shirk a tackle

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Good article on Lucas Neill. He was at Preston crown court so assume he lives locally. Not the first and won't be the last footballer to lose millions, though it seems he has been naive rather than negligent in his business dealings.

Don’t try to dodge paying your legitimate taxes and you won’t get conned.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, JohnD said:

A really good article which highlights the potential pitfalls of wealthy but naive young footballers with plenty of money. It sounds like he is getting things back on track and good luck to him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

A really good article which highlights the potential pitfalls of wealthy but naive young footballers with plenty of money. It sounds like he is getting things back on track and good luck to him.

I wish I had to worry about the pitfalls of wealth.

• Like 1

Lucas Neill was a tough, tenacious skilful and reasonably quick player leader and Captain and was used all across our back line RB LB and CB. He was open about his intention to run his contract down and his performance levels weren't obviously compromised by any lack of application. A proper professional in my view.

Always felt that if he'd gone to Liverpool rather than West Ham (after a last-minute change of heart0 that he would have achieved more footballing success and recognition. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

one of my dads mates was a plumber and he put new central heating and a boiler in for him,house was a bit of a mess but lucas girlfriend was fit apparently,he did`nt get payed for ages though

On 20/11/2023 at 16:51, oldjamfan1 said:

There's nothing 'hard' about booting someone in the gonads when they are lying on the floor, elbowing someone in the face or headbutting an old man in training (all Todd). What has Savage ever done to warrant a 'hard man' tag?

Maybe "hard man" isn't really the right term for these types of players, maybe 'right bastard' is more appropriate, but still every successful team should have at least a couple of right bastards in it, if only to ruffle a few feathers, cause a bit of chaos and get the oppos back up when needed

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

On 26/11/2023 at 13:39, simongarnerisgod said:

one of my dads mates was a plumber and he put new central heating and a boiler in for him,house was a bit of a mess but lucas girlfriend was fit apparently,he did`nt get payed for ages though

On the subject of doing jobs for footballers, I once helped fit a Carpet in Colin Hendrys house in St annes back in the early 2000s

He was a gent tbh! Made time to have a chat with everyone and even brought the brews in himself. 

His late wife was there and his young kids where shooting about, it was a nice warm family home

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Nicky Reid. He was in the Premier Suite for the Cardiff game as I was… he still looked like he could hand it out.

That's how it starts. The nods, the shy smiles, the coffees, the chats and then the warm embraces.

Too many good men have been lost to Swag's charms in the Premier Suite.

Resist at all costs. 

On 21/11/2023 at 20:49, Ianrally said:

Shearer as someone said earlier could always look after himself especially if he sniffed a scoring opportunity, wasn’t it Keown he nudged into the Nuttall Street gravel track in our first home game in the prem? 

I was standing right next to that!

I think most of the Rovers ‘hard men’ have been mentioned. So hope it’s ok to broaden it out.

Neil Ruddock’s list.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/revealed-razor-ruddocks-25-hardest-players-ever

There’s something amusing about it but a little sad at the same time. Players getting some sort of thrill about ‘taking out’ or ‘smashing’ people. No wonder most of those hard men were cripples at 28.

Another list

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/135906-footballs-hard-men-the-whos-who-of-the-hardest-men-in-soccer

33 minutes ago, aletheia said:

I think most of the Rovers ‘hard men’ have been mentioned. So hope it’s ok to broaden it out.

Neil Ruddock’s list.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/revealed-razor-ruddocks-25-hardest-players-ever

There’s something amusing about it but a little sad at the same time. Players getting some sort of thrill about ‘taking out’ or ‘smashing’ people. No wonder most of those hard men were cripples at 28.

Another list

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/135906-footballs-hard-men-the-whos-who-of-the-hardest-men-in-soccer

I remember watching “ Fash The Bash “ in a League Cup game at Rochdale. He was up against an old school centre half whose name escapes me. Could be John Bramhall. Two really hard men who had a game of their own with no ball involved. Being at Spotland I was stood right by the touch line and I got the full effect. It was brutal.