BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

An Outsider’s View of Rovers History

A Leicester supporter has come forward and submitted a wonderful long read about Rovers ahead of Saturday's match. Lots of trivia and obscure facts which perhaps some Rovers fans do not even know about. Please give it a look!

https://www.brfcs.com/magazine/articles/an-outsider's-view-of-rovers-history/532

Capture.JPG

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, garner1971 said:

Everytime I click these types of links, I get this error message. “Did you forget to press send”? Oh, the irony. 

IMG_0096.png

Me too.

Mods, is there an issue?

6 hours ago, 4,000 Holes said:

A Leicester supporter has come forward and submitted a wonderful long read about Rovers ahead of Saturday's match. Lots of trivia and obscure facts which perhaps some Rovers fans do not even know about. Please give it a look!

https://www.brfcs.com/magazine/articles/an-outsider's-view-of-rovers-history/532

Capture.JPG

A bloody good read, well done Mr 🦊 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, garner1971 said:

Everytime I click these types of links, I get this error message. “Did you forget to press send”? Oh, the irony. 

IMG_0096.png

I’ve pinned the Rogue Cookie fix instructions thread which has a solution that cures this.

Alternatively, open a different browser or use incognito mode to fool the cookies…👍

5 hours ago, lraC said:

Me too.

Mods, is there an issue?

I’ve pinned the Rogue Cookie fix instructions thread which has a solution that cures this.

Alternatively, open a different browser or use incognito mode to fool the cookies…👍

Very good article.

Nice to have some stories in there from the days when we were actual giants of the game.

As mentioned before, we've a history that many of the so called 'big' clubs could only dream of.

Essential reading for any of the where would we be without venkys lemmings.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

Hi, thank you. Fixed 👍

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive comments. 

I said in the article that I couldn't identify the Rovers player who missed that great chance in the 1952 semi-final replay, but now I'm pretty sure that I can.

I'm almost certain it's inside right Eddie Crossan.

Here's that moment again:

What a fine goal that would have been, waltzing through the defence like that. In fact, the film appears to have captured only the very end of his run. This is the Yorkshire Post report the day after the game:

image.png.40c8c94cb717548138f139ab4c54b607.png

Here's Eddie:

image.png.66f89d2eb62daa266e5e3b55ffa52ee1.png

I found an old brfcs thread about him just atter he died in 2006 which said:

His brilliant close control enabled him to mesmerise opponents with his silky skills. Yet, sadly, Crossan was a flawed diamond. As with so many other brilliant individualists, lack of consistency proved to be his Achilles’ heel. Although he scored 73 League goals , many of them outstanding efforts, Crossan is still remembered as the man who missed most frequently from close range.

That moment in the semi-final must have been one of the most famous of those misses from close range.

His younger brother was Johnny Crossan, whose career was fascinating. Both of them played for Northern Ireland.

• Like 6

I just had a look to see how Ted Harper fared against Leicester in his 43 goal season and was surprised to find out that although he played against them home and away he didn't score.  Quite a surprise as this was Leicester's first season in the top flight since 1908/09. It's possible that Leicester were the only side that season against whom Harper played twice and failed to score, though I suspect there must have been one or two others. 

Leicester were also the only team to stop Rovers from scoring at Ewood Park that season - though one report says 'Harper headed home two seconds after the final whistle'. Then at Filbert Street Leicester won 2-1, Harper with an assist for Tommy Mitchell. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

It turns out that Ivan Sharpe, perhaps the most well-known football writer between the wars, was at that Blackburn - Leicester game in December 1925. Very interesting comments on football under the new offside law:

image.thumb.png.d1ec19f68d18d7a6c439dfa0360fad5c.png

image.png.c8caa4206585b2aa2dc7906077b18cad.png

image.png.da62d244c3f2578fab5b599b32803150.png

And later in the report:

image.png.3ed26080c1843cba4a43bc82afc3880d.png

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 2

Fair play Kushiro, a cracking read that, and oddly quite emotion stirring, especially the references to our most recent glory days, sadly now half a lifetime in the past 😞

Now, if only we can find out where Harper was laid to rest, then if we dig him up ahead of 12.30 tomorrow and put a bag of bones instead of our own 'striker' maybe we'll find the back of the Leicester net like the good old days...

• Like 2