SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music

American Rover

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nowt wrong with music being a bit pretentious*. One of the best albums I heard last year was The Phantom Agony by Epica - 8 excessivley long songs blending black metal with two string quartets and a soprano vocalist. Prety self-serving, in ohter words.

Pretentious fans, on the other hand....I'm looking at the Libertines worshippers here. dry.gif

*[To an extent. Joey DeMaio's endless bass solos are worthless even to Manowar fans.]

Pretentious fans, on the other hand....I'm looking at the Libertines worshippers here. dry.gif

I know a Libertines fan, I know what you mean.

I know a...wait, I AM a Libertines fan and I certainly wouldn't consider myself pretentious. To be honest, having pre-concieved ideas about fans of a certain band is far worse than anything you can choose to label those people.

Just bought:

'Lesser Matters' by The Radio Dept & 'Universal Audio' by The Delgados and both seem pretty good so far.

Also got a ticket for The Doves at Blackpool Empress Ballroom on Fri Dec 17th.

Has anyone been to the see a band at the Ballroom before (and if so, what's it like?) ?

New Cradle of Filth album's surprisingly good. Seems they've decided they're happy to just sit down and make good heavy music instead of just focusing on making a bloody racket. Which is odd when you consider that they've signed to Roadrunner.

Edited by Radagast

How are they pretentious? The over-hyped, self-satisfied, yet terribly underwhelming output.

Interesting point of view.

Coming from the other side of the planet, let me assure you that Supergrass are definitely NOT over-hyped down here laugh.gifwink.gif

Also got a ticket for The Doves at Blackpool Empress Ballroom on Fri Dec 17th.

Has anyone been to the see a band at the Ballroom before (and if so, what's it like?) ?

Top venue. Should be a top gig. I've deen Doves twice, and they were outstanding both times. Can't go to that gig as the girlfriend has paid for us to go to her office Xmas party sad.gifmad.gif

I know a Libertines fan, I know what you mean.

I know a...wait, I AM a Libertines fan and I certainly wouldn't consider myself pretentious. To be honest, having pre-concieved ideas about fans of a certain band is far worse than anything you can choose to label those people.

Actually, this Libertines fan is pretentious. There really is no pre-conceived image there. As for you...well I don't know you. But whatever gets you going...

Just got back from Manchester Roadhouse where a band called Floatation Toy Warning (never heard of them before....) were supporting The Radio Dept.

If anyone likes Sparklehorse / Grandaddy / early Flaming Lips material then I think you'd like this band too!