SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music

American Rover

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been catching up on some of the best Scandinavian music from the last couple of years (as you do). Sigur Ros, Mum and Emiliana Torrini - wierd downtempo Icelandic loveliness.

Got one Sigur Ros album,and although the style is my cup o' tea, I think the content is weak.

BTW I saw Doves at Blackpool on Friday - awsome as ever, a great live band. They are touring in March, I can highly recommend a visit! smile.gif

Been catching up on some of the best Scandinavian music from the last couple of years (as you do). Sigur Ros, Mum and Emiliana Torrini - wierd downtempo Icelandic loveliness.

Got one Sigur Ros album,and although the style is my cup o' tea, I think the content is weak.

BTW I saw Doves at Blackpool on Friday - awsome as ever, a great live band. They are touring in March, I can highly recommend a visit! smile.gif

I was at Doves on Fri too, TDI, have to agree with you, I thought they were superb. I was also very impressed by the supporting I Am Kloot and I'm already looking forward to hearing new albums by both bands soon and catching them live in '05.

The new Doves material, in particular, sounded very promising. thumbs-up.gif

Went to both legs of the Muse gig at Earl's Court. Thoroughly enjoyed them again, and pleasantly surprised that they shook the setlist up for the second night because they have a history of playing identical ones.

I can't say they're the best live band around because I haven't seen every band around. However, they go to great measures to glam it up and it's very fun to be involved in. Monday was the fourth time I've seen them on the Absolution tour so the balloons/smoke etc wasn't surprising but you can still have a great deal of fun.

They're getting a massive reputation and I'm worried that they're having a big push at America too. Getting tickets was infinitely harder than in 2001 and I was bigger than 90% of the people there. Hopefully this isn't an indication of things to come for them.

Just thought I'd add, for no particular reason, that Ruled By Secrecy is an absolutely brilliant song live and is one of two live songs that give me chills when I remember being there (Karma Police being the other).

Edited by bellamy11

Totally agree mate!

I went to the first night and 'Ruled By Secrecy' was amazing.

I haven't stopped listening to it since coming back.

Before I heard the song live, I enjoyed it but now I can't stop playing it, I love it loads.

It was the first time i've seen Muse live and the balloons and everything was amazing. I even saw him chuck his guitar in the crowd, so whoever got that was one lucky so and so!

I thought The Zutons put in a good performance as well and the crowd really got into them.

Was unsure who the first band was though, did you know?

• 2 weeks later...

FAO Radaghast

Telegraph Review:

At the end, my companion and i just looked at easch other and said nothing, lost for words, renderd speachless bt the extraordinary 90 - minute show we had just witnesses. On the first of two nights at Earlse Court, making the end of more than a year of heavy touring for the Devon band, Muse deliverd one of the most awesome blistering, eye-poping, ear busting rock spectacles I have ever experienced.

They pulverised us with their gut-busting riffery, they dazzeled us with a lighting rig that was seemingly inspired byt the origins of the universe itself, and they bamboozeled us with a arrayof images on a series of video screens strung out across the of the stage. Really, I dont think i have ever seen anything like it.

When i first saw muse last november at Wembley arena, I knew i had seen something very big and very special. But they seem to have spent the intervening perios getting bigger and more special, acquiring more stuff with which to astonish their fans, and honing their skills so that they are now surely the tightest three-piece rock band on the planet.

In frontman Mathew Bellamy they have a heart-rendering singer and a sensational guitarist, his blurry gingers riffing and soloing with both abandon and percision. The bands engine room bassist Chris Wolstenholme and drummer Dominic Howard sound like a band in themselves, chunky, funky, impossibly heavy, locked into each others rhythms with an almost supernatural level of understanding . Put them together, and they make an awesome noise: fierce, spine-tingling, thrilling, catharatic.

Plug In Babby had the whole areana singing along to its chorus of desperation. On Apocalypse Please, they made the end of the world sound like an enthralling proposition. And on New Born, there was a moment thet encapsulated the bands sence of occasion: poised to unleash the songs monumental riff, Bellamy stood at the front of the stage with his right arm aloft, ready to strike, relishing and miliking the drama. His hans quiverd in the air, the crowd cheered, Then the hand came down, and the riff came out and Earls court went bonkers.

At the end all the stops were pulled out. Furious jets of smoke issued from vents in the stage. The lights were a blinding frenzy. The band jumped and whumped. There was nothing for it but to laugh at the sheer glorious over the topness of it all. Muse: nobody does bigness better.

biggrin.gif

I'm listening to a band called Dead Poetic at the moment. I heard one of their songs, New Medicines, on the Scuzz music channel and thought that it was brilliant. I downloaded some of their stuff off the first album and it wasn't great. But I then downloaded stuff off their second album, 'New Medicines' and some of it is really good. They are heavy rock, but without going overboard with screaming and being too heavy.

Also, for Christmas my brother got the Jay-Z Linkin Park collaberation. It is awesome.

Also, for Christmas my brother got the Jay-Z Linkin Park collaberation. It is awesome.

Please, everyone, read Radagast's signature, it's not too late.

I despair at times, a crap numetal(as if there's any other type) 'band' and a crap rapper come together to produce a collaboration with the inevitable result.

Myself, I've returned to listening to the Very Best of the Stone Roses over Christmas, had forgotten just how truly great they where.