BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness must go ?

rover6

ROYB

2nd Division

Group: Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote (tcj_jones @ Feb. 24 2004, 02:28)

i find it hard to recall any players played out of position NOT due to injury problems, which in my opinion, is not a flaw in tactics.

How about these then:-

(1) Right back playing left midfield;

(2) centre back playing left midfield;

(3) centre back playing central midfield;

(4) central midfielder playing left midfield;

(5) forwards playing back in midfield;

(6) central defender and defensive midfielder coming on to play in attack  

ok 4 out of the first 5 ARE due to injuries. todd playing in cm was due to our bare thin centre midfield and many said he played pretty well there too. dunno about these cb's playing in attack...

ROYB

2nd Division

Group: Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote (tcj_jones @ Feb. 24 2004, 02:28)

i find it hard to recall any players played out of position NOT due to injury problems, which in my opinion, is not a flaw in tactics.

How about these then:-

(1) Right back playing left midfield;

(2) centre back playing left midfield;

(3) centre back playing central midfield;

(4) central midfielder playing left midfield;

(5) forwards playing back in midfield;

(6) central defender and defensive midfielder coming on to play in attack  

ok 4 out of the first 5 ARE due to injuries. todd playing in cm was due to our bare thin centre midfield and many said he played pretty well there too. dunno about these cb's playing in attack...

How come?

We don't have a left midfielder to get injured.

Todd was seemingly picked ahead of 2 proper (and fit) midfielders - Douglas and Tugay.

And both Taylor and Baggio have been brought on to play in attack.

in your opinion we dont have a left midfielder to get injured but lets not get into the left midfield saga again. didnt know that tugay and douglas were both fit and available but when u think about it, it was a wise tactical decision. as a central defender, playing todd as a defensive midfielder would not be a lot to adapt to and he played the role reasonably well. then you have to remember that todd has played well for us this season whereas tugay has made noteable mistakes and was most likely to be low on confidence. then douglas is a youngster and the holding role in midfield is more suited to a more experienced player such as todd. with flitcroft venturing faward there will not always be michael gray behind to support like there is on the left side of midfield.

in your opinion we dont have a left midfielder to get injured but lets not get into the left midfield saga again. didnt know that tugay and douglas were both fit and available but when u think about it, it was a wise tactical decision. as a central defender, playing todd as a defensive midfielder would not be a lot to adapt to and he played the role reasonably well. then you have to remember that todd has played well for us this season whereas tugay has made noteable mistakes and was most likely to be low on confidence. then douglas is a youngster and the holding role in midfield is more suited to a more experienced player such as todd. with flitcroft venturing faward there will not always be michael gray behind to support like there is on the left side of midfield.

Douglas was picked to play out of position on the left, ahead of Gresko who I think has actually played left midfield during his career. Tugay was fit and came on for Flitcroft. Todd has had a really good season - but as a defender.

gresko hasnt been at all near his best. then, while hes left footed, being played at left midfield is still playing him out of position. douglas has shown promise and souness might have wanted to try him out at left mid. with an experienced defender like gray behind him he is given the support he requires and he hasnt played badly.

tugay didnt play the entire match and came on for an injured flitcroft and was pretty much the only replacement we had.

also, todd didnt have a bad match at cm

gresko hasnt been at all near his best. then, while hes left footed, being played at left midfield is still playing him out of position.

Gresko was originally a midfielder at Inter Bratislava and played left midfield at internatonal level. Can't think of anyone else at Rovers with better left midfield credentials.

I'm not going to say sack Souness, but anyone who wants to offer Tugay a new contract needs at least their eyesight testing, if not their head reading!  He is casuing more problems for us than he is for the opposition.

I was very releaved to hear his new contract depends on what happens the rest of this season.  I guess John Williams saw sense and leaned on Souness to try and save the club from wasting more money.

I'm not going to say sack Souness, but anyone who wants to offer Tugay a new contract needs at least their eyesight testing, if not their head reading!  He is casuing more problems for us than he is for the opposition.

I was very releaved to hear his new contract depends on what happens the rest of this season.  I guess John Williams saw sense and leaned on Souness to try and save the club from wasting more money.

All i would say is Craig Short has recently commented on the spirit at Rovers needed rebuilding after numerous dressing room characters left in the summer. Perhaps Tugay is more important off the pitch nowadays.

Slowly but surely, Souness is cracking up under the strain.

Last week it was "Lady Luck" that deserted us, this time it's all the referees' fault.

So nothing to do with your inept leadership Graeme?

The first half yesterday was disgraceful, the worst I can recall in a long time, and a draw was all we deserved, blatant penalties or not.

1 SOCCER Blackburn Quotes

BIG CLUBS GET ALL THE BREAKS, MOANS SOUNESS

By Mark Staniforth, PA Sport

Graeme Souness launched a scathing attack on Premiership officials following his side’s 1-1 Ewood Park draw with Southampton today. The Blackburn boss believed his side were denied a first-half penalty by referee Mike Dean after Graeme Le Saux’s challenge on Brett Emerton.

And Souness insisted Dean’s failure to award a spot-kick was part of a much wider conspiracy which has failed to give Rovers a fair deal this season.  Emerton crumbled to the floor under Le Saux’s challenge as he shaped to shoot and Dean instantly waved play on.

Souness said: “I’m told it looked like a penalty but it’s no surprise to me that we didn’t get one because we’re not one of the big clubs.

“We don’t get a fair crack of the whip. We haven’t had a single penalty this season and logic tells you we would get one in 20-odd games.

“I could produce a video of a dozen great shouts for penalties that I know if we were Manchester United or Arsenal or Liverpool or Chelsea we would get."

And Souness was also left to seethe about his side’s dismal start which ultimately cost them their first Premiership home win since November. Slack marking enabled Kevin Phillips to put Southampton ahead after just six minutes before Andy Cole’s second-half equaliser.

Souness added: “I think we gifted a goal for Phillips and that goal set the tone for the first 45 minutes. There was that much room in the penalty box you had to wonder where all the defenders went.

“That made us extremely nervous given our present predicament but in the second half we got

going and we should have gone on to win the game."

So nothing to do with your inept leadership Graeme?

who are you to call souness inept?! what is your bases for him being inept? why was the first half of southampton PURELY down to him?! incase you hadnt noticed we have 11 players on the pitch.

i also find it strange that when we pick it up in the second half an play some great football souness isnt applauded at all... surely our comeback reflects the fighting spirit and effective tactics of our great manager?...

as for that link, i read it myself last night and i found it quite a chuckle. souness may not show comedy in the way he talks or the way he looks but he sure shows he has a perfectly adequate sense of humour when it comes to post match interviews. like iv said before - if its not the ref, its the weather, or the fans, or the pitch, or the bird that flew a little too close to the players. and hes got a point anyway, we dont get the same things awarded as the bigger clubs. that must be obvious in the amount of penalties the top 5 have in comparison to us.

one thing i will say - did any of you see the body language and facial expressions of souness at southampton? his heart and soul are 110% behind the team and the club. i hate the way that his passion cannot seem to be mirrored by the players on the field and as it is souness that gets the flack, i feel more and more empathy for him each week

who are you to call souness inept?!

1. Because I and thousands of other help to pay his wages.

2. Because he is charge of my club, and he is making a total balls-up of it.

3. Because he has involved us in an unnecessary relegation battle and I'm worried sick.

4. Because he hasn't a clue about how to fix the team's defensive frailties, evident since last August.

5. Because he is unable to motivate a disinterested and lazy squad of players - viz yesterday's first half and any number of similar showings this season.

6. Because I'm fed up with his excuses after yet another lame performance.

7. Because he's an arrogant so-and-so who will never admit he has made a mistake - unlike the referees he loves to lambast.

8. Because I'm a Blackburn Rovers supporter of 70 years plus standing and I'll still be here when he's @#/? off to another club with his vast redundancy cheque.

That's more than enough reasons why I'm entitled to call Souness inept.

PS: Who are you?

who are you to call souness inept?!

because I and thousands of other help to pay his wages.

3. Because he has involved us in an unnecessary relegation battle.

4. Because he hasn't a clue about how to fix the team's defensive frailties, evident since last August.

5. Because he is unable to motivate a disinterested and lazy squad of players - viz yesterday's first half and any number of similar showings this season.

7. Because he's an arrogant so-and-so who will never admit he has made a mistake - unlike the referees he loves to lambast.

8. Because I'm a Blackburn Rovers supporter of 70 years plus standing and I'll still be here when he's @#/? off with his vast redundancy cheque.

That's why I'm entitled to call Souness inept.

1.  You get to every match, do you?

2.  You've been saying that since he took charge.  Since then, a promotion, a cup win and 6th in the league.   The old adage of a broken clock being right twice a day springs to mind with your *insightful* comments.

3.  Yes, we should have been challenging at the top of the league.   Unnecessary?   A sloppy  word even for an ex-Murdoch employee.

4.   You know that for a fact?   Perhaps the issue that the defence isn't concentrating 100% - which he has mentioned repeatedly could suggest he does.

5.   Explain how a man who can't motivate a team has improved a performance in the second half.

6.   And we're fed up with with you regurgitating the same old drivel week in week out.

7.   Pot black calling kettle - rearrange.

8.   If only you had the wisdom of someone of your venerable years you wouldn't seem so ludicrous.

On the ps...  you have the audacity to ask who another member is???   Tsk tsk tsk.

1. Because I and thousands of other help to pay his wages.
8. Because I'm a Blackburn Rovers supporter of 70 years plus standing

ok, i apologise for the mannerism of my question, no doubt all fans are entitled to criticise their teams manager and your support is exemplorary. i myself am a lot younger and perhaps subsequently less considerate/rational when i post (either that or im an arrogant @#/?)

3. Because he has involved us in an unnecessary relegation battle and I'm worried sick.

but never the less i cannot agree with what you are saying; first off there are many clubs in an "unnecessary" relegation fight, its never wanted and very rarely expected. the only clubs that could really expect to be in an innevitable fight would be those newly promoted and perhaps leads. everton are in a similar situation to us as well.

"making a balls up" isnt a convincing arguement. are we forgetting that there are 11 players on the pitch? and then theres our numerous injuries... etc etc

clearly souness is a vastly experienced player and manager and obviously would have ways of fixing the defense but there have been so many individual errors that the blame cannot possibly be placed upon the manager alone. then every partnership is interupted through fitness and injuries.

yesterdays first half may not have displayed a great deal of motivation but what about the second half? surely that shows souness fighting spirit and his effective tactics? clearly souness was able to motivate the team in the half time break. then the way cole celebrated his goal shows how motivated he was to settle his own inadequacies this season.

souness is a stubborn man and arrogant is another way to describe his personality. but i love his "arrogant" nature; it helps compile a never say die and never give up persona and he is 100% committed to the club, you only have to look at his body language and facial expressions from yesterday to see that. what appears more likely to me is that  souness' fighting spirit and talents are being exploited and frustrated by the teams lacking this season. finally i love his post match interviews - without them he isnt the same man. he has to keep his integrity and managerial figure infront of the squad and this compliments his strict managerial style. he has to be the boss.

As many of you know I am a strong supporter of Souness, and of course I'm not happy with our current position, but I'm not willing to turn my back on a man who has turned this club around (and anyone who says that he hasn't should just look at the recent history of the club and really try and argue that). At the end of the day though no one can win in this discussion, everyone is quiet on the topic until a result doesn't go our way, and then the moaners come out, I think once and for all those who aren't behind Souness should just come out and say it, and clearly put down why and where they think the club is going under him in the remainder of this season and next season. If they are proven correct, anyone who seriously takes up this offer of mine, I will personally pay for their season ticket to 2005-2006 games, if not they will simply have to accept the fact that they are wrong.

Probably Souey's nephew.

Once again this is degenerating into a dumb war of words between those who think Souness is god and can do no wrong, and those who thing he is a stubborn arrogant wazak who is completely useless.

Souness is no different to anybody else. He gets some things right, he gets some wrong. He is good at some things, and less good (or even bad) at others. For 2-3 years, things went with him and he got most things right, and so most of us were well pleased with him. While he got most things right, we were happy.

But now he isn't getting so many things right, we understandably are not so happy. The disturbing thing I think is that for a while now he seems to be getting progessively less and less right, and that brings criticism from us in what we believe he isn't very good at (tactics, consistent team selection, fair treatment of players, etc.).

For me, signs of things starting to go pearshaped were the signing of Yorke and Souey's stubborn continual insistence that the Yorke-Cole partnership is proven and (in spite of no signs of it ever happening) is certain to come good one day (since shown to be rubbish), his public crucifixion of Dunn, and the departure of his long-time right-hand man Phil Boersma.

Boersma's departure has been discussed before but I think it is probably the biggest influence on our poor form this year - without his trusted right-hand man to call on, I think Souey is being let down by the quality of his backroom staff, and this should be the first thing to be addressed this summer.

Roy, I was agreeing with you RIGHT until the last paragraph.  I for one never want another season like this.  Have we seen any improvement or a steady erosion of everything to do with the club?  Why should it change next season if he stays?  The only bright spot for me is that none of the clubs which look like they're going to be promoted (with the possible exception of Wigan) have the money to buy to stay up - just as hopefully this season 2 at least of last seasons promotees will go back down (and Leeds.)

I'd just say "So long and thanks for all the fish, Graeme" and get someone else in- don't lets do the pathetic "who then?" again.  At the moment, anyone with a modicum of sense would do.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.