BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stolen by the Ref

my only concern about this whole tournament is that defensive football is making progress. look at greece and latvia...

wonder what the future holds for us...

on the other hand, Sweden, Danmark and Czeck republic are still in.

You can't ask teams like latvia to do much more.

They don't have quality players like Italy.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly I've only read the last 3 or 4 pages to get the gist of whats been wrote since this morning and it's very off topic. For what its worth Oklahoma has contributed quite a bit to Euro2004 with reports of what peoples views and events from out in Portugal. I sometimes feel we seem to chase 'opposition' fans off this messageboard to quickly. It's not his fault we didn't turn up!

Back onto the disallowed goal and its a rank decision. The linked photos don;t tell the story. The keep who is down after the header hits the bar come up and goes under Terrys arm. Terry is actaully nudged towards the keeper by the defender (which nobody who says the goal should have been disallowed seems to mention). It's a bloody good job this ref wasn't at the Baseball ground for Kevin Morans goal in the playoffs when he took the ball and 6 men into the back of the net!!!

Finally Sven is clueless. I've said this for a few years now that when he needs to change it he can't do it and tactically he's niave. I've took quite a bit of stick over these years by other England fans who accuse me of holding these opinions because he's a Swede. However the tide is slowly turning and at work more and more people agree. On ITV tonight Venables was obivously unimpressed and Townsend (the converted Paddy?) just stopped short of saying he should go. Following this Skinner, Baddiel and the crowd on FF really put the boot in (Turd Gripe lol).

Any chance of a poll either on here or elsewhere? Should he stay or should he go???

oklahoma, personally i must confess i am satisfied with the way both greece and latvia played. this is the best way they both can play...

they get just a couple of chances in a game and score...

what else can you want from your team...

both had a high scoring percentage heheheh

and after england is out, i'd really like to see sweden, denmark or czech republic to win the cup...

but sorry, not portugal tongue.gif

not that they knocked england out. but i don't fancy any hosts after france 98

good luck, but portugal definitely need to perform more...

oklahoma, personally i must confess i am satisfied with the way both greece and latvia played. this is the best way they both can play...

they get just a couple of chances in a game and score...

what else can you want from your team...

both had a high scoring percentage heheheh

and after england is out, i'd really like to see sweden, denmark or czech republic to win the cup...

but sorry, not portugal tongue.gif

not that they knocked england out. but i don't fancy any hosts after france 98

good luck, but portugal definitely need to perform more...

I've seen Latvia- germany live and they did a good game.

Defensive team but always looked for the goal.

Greece is the same.

I understand... thanks, anyway.

And we really need to do a lot better.

I always wished for a portugal-england final.

I even wore my england shirt during the England-croatia game.

@oklahoma

i have last year's home shirt (rovers) which i took from the rovers' when they came to ankara to play genclerbirligi (my team).

whenever i wore it, something bad happened...

last time i wore it was the france game. 2 goals at the end of the match...

i am really afraid to wear it anymore.

waiting for the new home kit. i think last year's kit was doomed...

lucky you! hope some day, Turkey will organize a major tournament...

or we all meet in germany 2006 hehehe

rover.gif

Anyone see ITV news. Firstly David Elleray was on studying every frame and says that the kepper jumped into Terry and no way should it have been disallowed. Secondly they gave out this link. sad.gif

don't forget...

david elleray is an english referee

and itv is an english tv

can he say anything else, even if he thought the opposite?

Welcome back Orcan, I guess you enjoyed your European campaign as it lasted considerably longer than ours. Did Gencler qualify for Europe again this season, If so maybe we will see you in England again soon.

I've been looking out for a Gencler shirt (I have one that I swapped with a rovers shirt after the Friendly at Brockhall), but I was after the proper adidas one. Any links where I could get one.

@Ricky : Can't give you any links, but will check the shop at the club.

I promised a number of gencler shirts to the rovers, but i lived through terrible times financially in the last 8 months. finally they are over...

@oklahoma : it was definitely a wonderful performance at jose alvelade!

i plan to go to a rovers game (maybe a couple) early next season. i will save some money for that, hope to meet you there, 'cause i really had a great time in blackburn and i love all the rovers...

and guys, we did qualify for the uefa cup again.

but we have a weakened team this year unfortunately...

hope we play an english team in the first round, as i don't think we'll last long in the cup this year.

Anyone see ITV news. Firstly David Elleray was on studying every frame and says that the kepper jumped into Terry and no way should it have been disallowed. Secondly they gave out this link.  sad.gif

don't forget...

david elleray is an english referee

and itv is an english tv

can he say anything else, even if he thought the opposite?

So is Paul Durkin, and the decision yesterday was as much a "Homer" decision as Durkin disallowing that Shearer goal at Man U.

Thought this thread would be full of "it was the ref's fault", "cheating Portugese *&^%$#", etc etc, but I've been surprised by a lot of the constructive criticism and comments.

In my opinion, it WAS a foul (I would hate to imagine the outcry if Portugal had a "goal" like that given) and Portugal were the better team. What was one of the stats given? 35% - 65% posession? Says it all.

Something in common with the 2002 defeat to Brazil is that England didn't seem to do themselves justice going forward and tended to be content with their lead. There's no worse feeling than losing knowing your team didn't play to its potential.

Come on Henrik and the Swedes.

Edited by kingalan

Referee speaks out

From the alleged quote by the ref:

"England should remember that we are at Euro 2004 and not playing in the English Premier League," he added. "What is allowed there is not allowed here. There are different rules here and I applied them."

Excuse me you Swiss banker but aren't the rules supposed to the same at whatever level of the sport?

Excuse me you Swiss banker but aren't the rules supposed to the same at whatever level of the sport?

They are supposed to be the same but interpretations are different, everyone knows that most of the challenges that take place in the Premier League would have been a yellow card or in most cases a red card in any other league in Europe including the top ones (La Liga, Seria A, Bundesliga etc)

Which is why the Premier League clubs have more "tougher/stronger" players than skillfull ones compared to the other leagues. Hence why many players and managers say that the Premier League is the toughest league in Europe.

Which is why the Premier League clubs have more "tougher/stronger" players than skillfull ones compared to the other leagues.

I hate it when people say that.

I forgot, Duff, Pires, Henry, Giggs, Scholes and the rest don't play in England do they? It's what people like to spew out. The premier league has just as much skill, it simply is played in a different manner. Players are not allowed as much time on the ball and it's played at a higher pace. This means that there is less room to show off.

For me this is one of the reasons why Beckham has had a poor tournament. He is starting to get used to the Real Madrid style of play, which isn't what best fits him regarding what he is good at. He's a hard worker, with great passing and vision, sadly I think he's used to playing with the all stars and messing around.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.