BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stolen by the Ref

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant see it happening but the poor performers notably James, Beckham, Owen and Heskey should be dropped forthwith and told that only improved personal performances will allow them to get their place back.

Extremely good call.

Can't see it happening as long as Sven is in charge though.

I wouldnt argue with Wright-Philips on the right wing with a Gerrard Lampard/Scholes centre and Ethrington/pennent on the left. However discarding Beckham is in my opinion folly, hes going through a dip in form thats all.

I might actually play Gerrard on the left and play Hargrieves with Lampard in the centre

Smiffy, as you probably know, that guide dog picture was one of a few examples of works by internet wags published in the Sun today.

I liked one picture of Romeo on Posh's knee underneath the caption

"Romeo, dad can only score behind our backs...."

Ethrington/pennent on the left. However discarding Beckham is in my opinion folly, hes going through a dip in form thats all.

I dont think Pennant would offer much of a threat on the left Flpsy.

As for Beckham, his dip in form has been for the last 4 games. I was not discarding any player merely insisting that prove that they deserve a place in the team / squad.

"You are only a good as your last game" is a motto that Sven should strictly adhere to.

just going back to my arse ref quotes saying rules differ in different leagues,the match thats on now ,horses yed dives =no card,swede dives = booking.not different leagues but different halves.Also when a corner comes in defenders are shirt pulling holding and virtually wrestling strikers to the ground and nothing done.....striker says boo to a goalie and its worse than anything and freekick is given.Ive calmed down now but refs are winding me up all over again.I hope this games over in normal time i wanna watch the boxing on sky.

Not a great ref in our game either sad.gif

Gutted, absolutely gutten. Why on earth Jakobsson (Excellent set piece taker, never nervous) didn't take one, I just can't understand. I know Holland had the better chances after 90 minutes, but we were SO close in extra time sad.gif

Larssons spin and shot onto the bar reminded me of Svenssons spin before hitting the post vs Senegal sad.gif When he missed that I was convinced they were gonna score. Btw, Ljungbergs penalty shouldn't have counted.. not that it matters anyway.

But haven't all four captains who've taken penalties so far missed them?

Btw, Ljungbergs penalty shouldn't have counted.. not that it matters anyway.

I thought that but as no-one mentioned it I assumed I was wrong. Thought you might win it then after that bit of luck. Unlucky anyway always harsh to lose like that. As you say Holland were slightly better but when you hit the woodwork twice in extra-time you can count yourself unlucky.

I thought that but as no-one mentioned it I assumed I was wrong. Thought you might win it then after that bit of luck. Unlucky anyway always harsh to lose like that. As you say Holland were slightly better but when you hit the woodwork twice in extra-time you can count yourself unlucky.

i said to our peg if sweden win now the poo flying will be as bad as us because i thought as soon as ball hits wood and comes out in a shootout the balls dead?

i said to our peg if sweden win now the poo flying will be as bad as us because i thought as soon as ball hits wood and comes out in a shootout the balls dead?

according to the comentators, the player that scores the penalty can't send it in after it hits the woodwork but if it hits the goalie and goes in, it's ok.

regarding the penalties, I know who's to blame for it.

Forget the muddy penalty spot.

The ones to blame are... ASTON VILLA!!

it's easy to understand why...

In 1996, Gareth Southgate missed.

In 2004, Darius Vassel missed.

For Sweden, Mellberg missed too.

They all play/played for Aston Villa.

So, They are the one to blame!!! biggrin.gif

Edited by Oklahoma

Up to now Jeff winter and Graham Barber have come out in support of that ludicrous decision by the myopic swiss git!. God only knows how they managed that with all the benefits of slow motion (one wonders how the f*** they managed to survive as referees all that time) but if Mike Riley comes out in support too then thats a hat-trick decision by the worst Prem refs of all time.

Up to now Jeff winter and Graham Barber have come out in support of that ludicrous decision by the myopic swiss git!.

Without wishing to sound controversial. I also agreed with the decision of Herr Meier to award a free kick against John Terry for the simple transgression of law 12 (h). Contact against the goalkeeper in his own goal area is unfortunately punishable by a free kick and the decision was correct

Brian Clough wasn't it? Maybe it's true, but make it your own death and not someone else's.

Bill Shankley

Bill Shankly.

Coming from an era when goalkeepers were not the "untouchables" that they are today, the great man would no doubt have had a robust view of last night's events.

With regard to Swiss referee Urst Maier's performance, it is worth recalling one of his other classic quotes:

"The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game."

Regarding; 'Football's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that'.

Bill Shankley actually...ahem...'recycled' the quote. It was originally first uttered by an American Football coach, whose name I can't remember but maybe some of the American posters on here may know who it was .

Up to now Jeff winter and Graham Barber have come out in support of that ludicrous decision by the myopic swiss git!.

Without wishing to sound controversial. I also agreed with the decision of Herr Meier to award a free kick against John Terry for the simple transgression of law 12 (h). Contact against the goalkeeper in his own goal area is unfortunately punishable by a free kick and the decision was correct

So if the keeper jumps into somebody who is standing focused on the ball then it is still a free kick? I'll remember to tell our keeper that and he can just jump into one of the opposition players at every corner.

Brian Clough wasn't it? Maybe it's true, but make it your own death and not someone else's.

Bill Shankley

Bill Shankly.

Coming from an era when goalkeepers were not the "untouchables" that they are today, the great man would no doubt have had a robust view of last night's events.

With regard to Swiss referee Urst Maier's performance, it is worth recalling one of his other classic quotes:

"The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game."

Regarding; 'Football's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that'.

Bill Shankley actually...ahem...'recycled' the quote. It was originally first uttered by an American Football coach, whose name I can't remember but maybe some of the American posters on here may know who it was .

Was it Lombardi?

Just popped in because I thought I was feeling better about our demise. It's took me two minutes to realise I am not. AESF that piccie with the dog hepled bloody funny that. Well now to WC 2006, and no doubt another England exit on penalties and late disallowed winning goal, most likely against the hosts by a ref from a country whose national team we had annihilated in the previous round.

Mmmm, new career. USABlue's palm reading and Psychic hotline.

How long till our footy starts 6 weeks? We can enjoy the weekly ref bashing with the big team favouritism every game.

Bill Shankley

Bill Shankly.

Was it Lombardi?

Probably, Vince has all the best quotes laugh.gif

Apparently, Urs Meier has received over 30,000 emails from England fans angry at his controversial decision.

The Swiss ref, incidentally, was a visitor to Ewood Park back in 1995, when he refereed Rovers' Champions League contest with Spartak Moscow. He's no stranger to attracting negative press headlines, having controversially allowed a 95th-minute goal for Denmark that knocked Romania out of the Euro 2004 qualifiers. 'A sick thief!' blasted the Romanian press.

Herr Meier also refereed the Champions League semi-final between Monaco and Chelsea, where he failed to spot Desailly's elbow on Morientes and the play-acting of Claude Makelele. Monaco fans were irritated by Meier's performance.

But anyone who wishes to sympathise with the Swiss ref can contact him at the link below:

http://www.ursmeier.ch/referee/

For later predictions, I fancy Dave Becks to win the final for us against France in the last minute with a customary free-kick, in true Jonny Wilkinson style.

laugh.gif Well he did learn something off Jonny Wilkinson afterall biggrin.gif

Come on John. You should have seen enough football to realise that Terry was motionless and looking away from the keeper whilst the keeper was scrambling about trying to shove him out of the way to get to the ball (which by the way he had no chance of reaching before Sol C).

You are epitomising the quote from Shanks by Dr Rich "The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.