BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stolen by the Ref

Thank you Phil, I was beginning to tire of this "the ref got it right" nonsense about the laws of the game.

I still genuinely think it was a goal and we were stuffed because Johnny Foreigner didn't want us to win.

Only another 2 years and we can have another crack.  sad.gif

blink.gif

The ridiculous protection afforded to goalkeepers can be seen every week in a league campaign. Why would it be any different at the higher levels of UEFA's pedantry? It wasn't a goal, the keeper was 'fouled'. So what if Terry was only watching the ball? Surely that's not a prerequisite?

One can only imagine the reaction had a similar incident occured in the English six yard box.

Edited by Rovermatt

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested to see that the Portugal v Holland game is to be reffed by a Swede. A ref from the country beaten by Holland in the last round. Exactly like England and Portugal, is this a EUFA policy or are they just hoping the ref will harbor enough ill will towards the Dutch to tip the game the Host Nations way. Perhaps a controversial disallowed goal, or is it a smoke screen to disguise the fact they set up the England game.

Just a few points about the England vs. Portugal game, as I saw it:

1. Portugal were much better and deserved to win.

2. Our midfield are lazy sh_tbags who just strolled along throughout the game, and didn't support our strikers. Or defend with any conviction.

3. David Beckham should not be captain. Too busy doing photo shoots and tarts to develop as a player.

4. Sven may need to resign. He's been good, but he's starting to lose the plot.

5. Do our players know what a penalty shoot out is ?.

6. Too many aimless long balls to the 5 foot 8 Michael Owen, and the similarly short Vassell.

7. The tabloids are ___s for printing off personal details of the ref. Let's get hold of the newspaper editors contact details and give them abuse. They'll whine more than a Mexican centre forward.

Interested to see that the Portugal v Holland game is to be reffed by a Swede. A ref from the country beaten by Holland in the last round. Exactly like England and Portugal, is this a EUFA policy or are they just hoping the ref will harbor enough ill will towards the Dutch to tip the game the Host Nations way. Perhaps a controversial disallowed goal, or is it a smoke screen to disguise the fact they set up the England game.

and the paranoia continues......

Gary Lineker, incidentally, seems to agree with Jim.

In an interview today with one of those beastly red-top rags, the former England striker has launched an attack on the tactics employed by Eriksson. Some fairly strong words of criticism from the normally mild-mannered Lineker...

Link Below:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390...4292180,00.html

Lineker said: “The most disturbing thing about the defeat by Portugal was how we proved we have no plan B.

Where's Linekar been for the past 2 years? That was a point I made after the WC exit at the hands of a weak 10 man Brazil. I fell out with Ericsson's lack of tactical ability then.

The FA will undoubtedly end up sacking him and having to pay his 4m per year contract up that they foolishley allowed him to dictate to them. Yet another disservice done to English football by Abromovich and Kenyon.

If it had been the other way around , Matt , 99% of our fans would have agreed that the goal should have counted - the English are like that !

If thats a hook to hook onto then i'll gladly grab it

What a load of crap.

Saw it again last night I still say it was a good goal. I did not notice before but it looks to me now like the keeper flopped, as did much of the Portugal team most of the night. Also looked to me, arguably like Campbell had made contact with the ball slightly before the keepr jumped into Terry.

Anyway what's done is done, I suppose it's time to move on.

It's in the sun today that a Swiss DJ has given out the Sun's e-mail and phone number and they have been bombarded with calls from Swiss people. The Sun in retaliation has given the DJ's mobile number and e-mail address.

The Sun thinks this is funny, it was slightly amusing the first day but now the numptys have got involved the Sun should really quit whilst it's a long way behind.

As for the idiots in Greece, i don't think they should call them 'Fans' mad.gif

withstupid.gif

The Link

Edited by Roaming Rover

If it had been the other way around , Matt , 99% of our fans would have agreed that the goal should have counted - the English are like that !

If thats a hook to hook onto then i'll gladly grab it

What a load of crap.

It must just be me then Tom ! Put it this way - if UTD scored a goal like that against the Rovers I would have no complaints at all if the ref allowed it . (1% of know nothings might complain . Maybe you'd be among them......?)

from AOL news.....

"Swiss ref Urs Meier, who controversially disallowed Sol Campbell's winning goal at the end of the England-Portugal quarter-final, has been given police protection and gone into hiding in his homeland".

I wonder if he's gone into hiding in his car! laugh.gif

Going further still.........

"Meanwhile, MPs have tabled a motion in the House of Commons criticising the quality of refereeing in Euro 2004.

It does not specifically mention Mr Meier, but few will be in any doubt that the MPs had him in mind when they demanded the football authorities take action to stop referees ruining more games.

The motion was tabled by Scottish Labour MP Bill Tynan (Hamilton South) and has been supported by five other backbenchers.

They congratulated England on their "fine performance'' in the championships and praised the Portuguese hosts.

But they noted: "Concerns have been raised about the quality of refereeing decisions during a number of matches,'' and called on UEFA and FIFA to "address these concerns so that no further matches are ruined for fans by dubious decisions''.

Have they really nowt better to do? withstupid.gif

Edited by thenodrog

I think its daft its got to the stage that Meier needs police protection because he has received death threats. However, I don't think he is doing himself any favours by talking to the media. I heard an interview with him on Radio1 on the way home and he was saying that both Campbell and Terry fouled the keeper?!?!?

I think he should just shut up if he doesnt want to make things worse for himself.

Just for reference, I am booked on a flight to Switzerland on Friday morning, but I do not plan to visit any grocers stores in Zurich to hunt down the little cheat.........honestly! wink.gif

Edited by Kiwiwannabe

After nearly a week I've still not got over it. I feel like I should have some sympathy for the current plight of Mr Meir but I haven't. That Portuguese keeper is a cheat. Witness his two 5 minute injury breaks tonight. I've not wanted Holland to win an international as much since we had to rely onthem to dump the Argies out of France 98. Now it's down to Greece or the Czechs.

Figo was good tho! smile.gif

Computer's been in the shop since Friday, so this si the first I've seen of this thread. The treatment of Meier (for making the correct decision, I hasten to add) has been shocking, and typical of the Enlgish gutter press*. You can set your watch by this sort of thing - England go out, scapegoat must find. Ask yourself this - if an identical 'goal' had been scored at the other end of the park, and Mr Meier had allowed it to stand, would the "England Robbed By Blunder Ref" headlines still have been written? I think so.

*Ian Wright's reaction in the studio afterwards was both disgusting and hilarious in equal volumes. "He's a cheat". What a ######.

Now it's down to Greece or the Czechs.

Figo was good tho!  smile.gif

It will be the Czechs. I know this because it is a German ref for the final. So, in keeping with my theme Portugals games must be reffed by a referee whose home nation was beaten by Portugals opponents. biggrin.gif

Any dodgy decisions tonight?

Edited by USABlue

I don't remember a scapegoat in the 2002 World Cup apart from Eriksonn's tactics. Nor one in Euro 2000 unless you mean Phil Neville shocking tackle. The ref in France 98 got some stick for sending Beckham off for a 'petulant' flick although Beckham took most of the stick for that one. Please enlighten me on who these previous scapegoats are apart from actual players.

If the goal had have gone in at the other end then there would have been outrage but that would been purely aimed at David james and his nonsense of an attempt to jump through an opposition player to get the ball. I've seen the goal tons of times now and it should have stood.

Ask yourself this. Does the keeper move more into Terry (who is nudged by the defender) than Terry moves to the keeper? Yep

Edited by Hasta

Its the same as every decision though, we can analyse it 5 or 6 times then make our mind up.

England were not good enough to win the tournament anyway as they play boring football and have a manager who plays his team on players reputations.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.