Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pne Away

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not yet..

On now

The quality is pretty poor though, hope it improves..

We are playing a 4-3-3 formation, with Yorke just behind Stead and Dickov.

How many formations have we tried out so far in pre-season??

Edited by krislu

Just tried connecting to chat but got rejected- not enough parameters.

Well, that's me told!

Good to see Souness using the pre-season sensibly for experimentation. I'd expect a combination of Stead, Dickov and (please somebody save me from Coventry!) Yorke will prove a right handful for the PNE defence if there is anybody left in midfield to pass the ball to them!

Rovers defense is looking dodgy, and its all Preston atm..

Amo hits the post with a cracking shot

1-0 Dickov

Reason its dodgy is we have reid at right back, he can't play for toffee!

Amo is on fire today! stead and dickov linking up very well, yorke dead quiet!

....Ferguson just misses a sitter!

I cant figure out why Matteo is playing centre midfield. Surley if Souness is planning on useing him along side Amoruso at the back they should been playing together as much as possible in these pre-season friendlies...

Wouldn't be suprised if Matteo and Ferguson starts against WBA at the centre midfield... sad.gif

I should imagine we'll get the best idea of how Souness intends to play Matteo against Sporting Lisbon. He's probably just experimenting with players in different roles at this stage. I hope... unsure.gif

I think that what Souness is trying to do is employ Ferguson in the best way possible, and that's probably to NOT tie him down with too much defensive responsibility. Which is why we'll probably see Matteo, a new signing or even flitcroft next to him

Just got back..

tiresome game, preston looked good to me fitness wise although i suppose they are a week ahead of us. Rovers looked very tired towards the end.

First half we played well, particulary reid, dickov and yorke. Unfortunately reid didnt carry this onto the 2nd half and im still very unsure about him. Yorke 2nd half, i wasnt too disapointed but it was quite annoying when he has space to run and he just turns round with his back to goal.

Stead and Dickov im almost positive will start the season. They look very impressive to me as a partnership, as i expected, Dickov is putting alot of effort in andmaking some good runs, stead had some excellent touches today.

Matteo did ok but he has to be played in defence, come on souey! Fair enough he can fill the gap if we get injuries but hes a defender! A few bad passes from him today but i do rate him.

Enckleman looked comfortable all be it for a few heart attacks when getting back passes.

Amo and Nissa did alright after a shaky start. Nissa i think looks to nervous on the ball, this makes me nervous and id rather have matteo there with amo.

Gray played well, seems to have picked up from last season.

Barry looks like hes getting his fitness back quickly, give it a few more games and im sure we will see him doing what he does best, i.e box to box.

Flitcroft - we need to get rid of him. I know its harsh and hes still a good player but id rather he left. I doubt hes gonna get much of a look in starting wise when we have tugay and souey seems to be preparing for a barry/thommo partnership. We do need flitty in the squad but im sure he wont be happy with that role. He didnt look happy at all today and he took his frustration out on a pne player with a stupid tackle, then got booked. This could eventually cost us.

Overall im pleased, confidence boosting win yet again, still not conceded!!! Good that barry/amo/yorke/matteo etc all got 90 mins aswell fitness wise.

Reid off injured repalced by Neill!

How predictable.

Souness stop messing around, Matteo is a defender first and foremost!

and the final score was??????

oooops silly soey he got it wrong.................................

OH NO HE DIDNT WE WON SILLY ME.

WHAT A DUMP AND MICKY MOUSE OUTFIT DUMPDALE IS.................

It was boiling hot and my little lad was gagging for a drink of coke he was toasting.Queues for 1/2 hour for a coke to be told they had no more cups ,i said well stick it in a plastic beer glass then,they refused and said they couldnt .I told them my 5 year old was seruios hot and needed a drink .they said there was nothing they could do ,i argued there was by simply using a beer glass and they just if i didnt go they would get the police........BUNCH OF JUMPED NOBEND W@@@KERS.

DID YOU KNOW DEBS CAN EAT A WHOLE SPUD PIE ....WHOLE....YOU DO NOW.

and the final score was??????

oooops silly soey he got it wrong.................................

OH NO HE DIDNT WE WON SILLY ME.

Pre-season friendlies aren't about that though, are they? The more Matteo plays in midfield, the more worried I get.

My optimism for the new season is starting to wobble somewhat, I'll wait until after the final friendly before I start getting out the knives though...I'm hoping that the absence of De Pedro and a fully fit Thompson is the reason for the formations we're playing.

dont be daft any football games about winning ???if we had lost would that have made you happy?

must be watching wrong sport then .....not sticking knife in?sounds like it to me.

Edited by ABBEY

The more Matteo plays in midfield, the more worried I get.

Dean, your stance on this beggars belief. Matteo has been playing well in midfield, we have been solid by all accounts and have conceeded a grand total of 0 goals this pre season with him playing there. It couldnt have gone any better. Some of you may pre conceived notions about certain players, but Matteo for one is proving them to be wrong.

Dean, your stance on this beggars belief. Matteo has been playing well in midfield, we have been solid by all accounts and have conceeded a grand total of 0 goals this pre season with him playing there. It couldnt have gone any better. Some of you may pre conceived notions about certain players, but Matteo for one is proving them to be wrong.

I will eat my hat if Matteo playes a whole solid season in our midfield..!!

Please prove me wrong in about 8-10 games into the season...

Edited by krislu

No it doesn't, I posted something similar in a relegation topic last season about why Leeds would go down...I said something along the lines of "if you play your best 2 central defenders in midfield then you're asking for trouble".

Even the Leeds manager himself has said him and Radebe playing there was the main reason Leeds went down. What more do you want? He's a quality centre back, I'm not doubting his ability as a player, but he's First Division standard as a midfielder...he's peforming ok against First Division opposition so why should I change my opinion? If he can play there against Premiership standard attacking midfielders and play well then I may revise my opinion, playing well against teams with midfield grafters won't change my opinion at all though.

Edited by LeChuck

Mmmmmmmm..we huffed and puffed on a very hot day and the Preston players looked fitter as you would possibly expect.Couldn't really take much from the game but IMHO there are massive question marks over Dickov,Reid and our 'friend' Mr Yorke....We got the win but the performance was well below par.

Good and vociferous following of between 3-4,000 Rovers fans at a guess. thumbs-up.gif

P.S. Did anyone else manage to find the memorabilia belonging to Bob Crompton in the museum?.... or was I just too hung over from last night huh.gif

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

No it doesn't, I posted something similar in a relegation topic last season about why Leeds would go down...I said something along the lines of "if you play your best 2 central defenders in midfield then you're asking for trouble".

Even the Leeds manager himself has said him and Radebe playing there was the main reason Leeds went down. What more do you want? He's a quality centre back, I'm not doubting his ability as a player, but he's First Division standard as a midfielder...he's peforming ok against First Division opposition so why should I change my opinion? If he can play there against Premiership standard attacking midfielders and play well then I may revise my opinion, playing well against teams with midfield grafters won't change my opinion at all though.

What more do I want? I want every player, whatever position they play in, to play well. Thats all I want. Thats all I'll ever want. If they all do that r will never ever complain about them. Even if its the left back up front or the centre forward in goal. I dont care, as long as they do it well. Matteo has been doing. The season hasnt even started yet. But people are writing him off. Its absolutely unbelievable. Has it ever occured to you that Graeme Souness and his team of coaches know more about football than you do?

Couldn't really take much from the game but IMHO there are massive question marks over Dickov,Reid and our 'friend' Mr Yorke....We got the win but the performance was well below par.

Your entitled to your opinion but dickov reid and Yorke all had good first halfs!!

I agree reid was back to his worst 2nd half but for a pre-season game i thought they did well. Reid did some excellent defending 1st half and looked ok going forward. Yorke held the ball up well and i even saw him back in defence! Dickov made some good runs and linked up well with stead.

Also i think there was something in the region of 2000 rovers fans, probably just under.

The 6,000 stand was not full but it was also definitely not 2/3 empty mate!! ohmy.gif

.....Give me Ewood park anyday,there is a massive difference in quality in the stands both in terms of brick and mortar and also the folk sat in them!! thumbs-up.gif

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

3000 Rovers fans. Good vocal support, shame North End didnt return a song!

Enckleman - good again, one or two worrying moments.

Reid - excellent first half, second half flagged.

Amo/Nissa - I was a fervent supporter of these two at half back. I think I was wrong. Nissa does not look confident on the ball and gave away another chance or two today.

Gray - excellent.

Ferguson - solid again, his passing really is tremendous

Matteo - some wayward passing, but a solid player. I would really like to see him at Centre Half though please Graeme

Shagger - well he works hard, nothing of note again.

Yorke - again, good first half. played ok second half, annoyingly wont try and take players on often

Stead - not much to report. kept quiet

Dickov - well he runs around a lot, goal well taken, how he missed the shot in the front of the Kop I dont know!

A very lively game for the first 15 mins or so, then it died.

Far too hot for football, service downstairs was painfully slow, I gave up at half time after 10 mins of waiting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.