BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Jansen

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he had broken his neck we would all have forgotten about him by now. 

You might have but an awful lot of us woudn't - what a bloody stupid thing to say mad.gif

Touchy or what Laurence? You are of course quite correct......after all they still talk about Bert Trautmann in Manchester dont they?

OK then we might not have forgotten about him entirely but at least we would have 5 fit and capable strikers to call on in what appears now to be our usual relegation battle instead of 4.

Maybe it's a little early to be worrying about relegation battles!! I think we have 5 fit and able strikers, just that Matty isn't the number 1. We still have to see what Jay can do remember?????

I just want to say - it has been pointed out that his type of head injury takes approx 2 years to get over.

This is the final year of his contract - and based on previous medical advice probably the last season that we can still hope that he can get back to what he once was.

Matt is the last link to the era when we got promoted with Duff, Dunn etc. when I genuinely thought we had a chance of getting in the top four.

He helped to get us promoted - and deserves our full support in what may be his last season with Rovers.

I for one, am praying that he recovers the form he once showed. Not for Rovers, but for Matt himself - who I am told by people that know him is (as GS would say) a proper human being. He has also always given his all in the blue and white - and deserves our utmost repect for that tinykit.gif

I just want to say - it has been pointed out that his type of head injury takes approx 2 years to get over.

This is the final year of his contract - and based on previous medical advice probably the last season that we can still hope that he can get back to what he once was.

Matt is the last link to the era when we got promoted with Duff, Dunn etc. when I genuinely thought we had a chance of getting in the top four.

He helped to get us promoted - and deserves our full support in what may be his last season with Rovers.

I for one, am praying that he recovers the form he once showed. Not for Rovers, but for Matt himself - who I am told by people that know him is (as GS would say) a proper human being. He has also always given his all in the blue and white - and deserves our utmost repect for that tinykit.gif

At last, a decent sensible perspective on the Matt Jansen situation.

If Matt were iredeemably incapable of ever playing Prem football again, I am sure the medics and assessors would have concluded that to be the case and the club/insurers/agent/lawyers would have terminated Matt's relationship with the club by now.

Perhaps there has been some negotiations and Matt is on a much reduced tolerance contract which gives him a last chance to establish himself. However news of that sort inevitably leaks out and I have read little to suggest such a deal to renegotiate his contract was done.

What seems to have come from behind closed doors is that the physiological assessment of Matt is AOK.

On that basis, the blockage between Matt headless chickening his way round Christie Park and the England squad is psychological.

Faced with that dilemma, what do we Rovers' supporters want?

What is the least worst outcome?

Being patient and giving Matt every last chance to prove it again whilst a Rovers player?

Or, squirming as we see a rejuvenated Matt scoring 20 plus in the Prem for someone else because the "hard headed realists" have called the situation too early?

For once, saying the same things to Matt as he was saying to Yorke four weeks ago seems to me to be the most sensible approach for Souness to take.

If he had broken his neck we would all have forgotten about him by now. 

You might have but an awful lot of us woudn't - what a bloody stupid thing to say mad.gif

Touchy or what Laurence? You are of course quite correct......after all they still talk about Bert Trautmann in Manchester dont they?

OK then we might not have forgotten about him entirely but at least we would have 5 fit and capable strikers to call on in what appears now to be our usual relegation battle instead of 4.

My god that's a harsh thing to say..

You basically say that if things had gone as wrong with Matt as it could have gone in that accident, we would have had 5 good and fit strikers and therefore it would have been the best end to it all.

I know you don't MEAN that, but it's a bloody harsh thing to write and I'm astonished that you can make yourself write something like that, to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't get ahead of yourself, MrsJansen, he's not back to his old self yet. I think we should have learnt that from his 'comeback' goal against Liverpool. I do think it's a step in the right direction, though, and I was as delighted as any Rovers fan to see the joy on Matt's face after he scored. He certainly deserved the plaudits after the game.

I think a lot of the negative comments on this thread are borne out of frustration at the excruciatingly slow process in Matt's rehabilitation. I even admit that I didn't think Matt would make a return to the first team squad after hearing the noises coming out of Ewood and his performances when he did come into the first-team fold.

Let's just hope that Hughes gives him a decent chance and rebuilds his confidence so that we can see the Matt of old back in the starting XI. Indeed, the change in management seems to have rejuvinated Matt and given him fresh hope, so let's just hope he takes this chance with both hands and continues to fight back.

Edited by kingalan

its also very sick

so your saying that if matt jansen had broken his neck, you wouldnt care?

Have I bollax said that! Are you thick or do you simply have difficulty reading? Please feel free to quote the post where I said that..... or better still stop trying to twist my words! mad.gif

You may not believe this but I would have much preferred him to have stuck to his contractual obligations to BRFC by not getting on a stupid bloddy moped in the first place! I loved the guy and his abilities when he came and scored on his debut, during the promotion year, and the season following at Cardiff and in the league. As with the assassination of JFK and the Twin Towers I rem reading the first hint about his accident on here by somebody who had overheard 2 women talking in a shop in Gisburn fcs! Yet you call me sick and talk of me as if I want him dead!..... Clown!

I know you don't MEAN that, but it's a bloody harsh thing to write and I'm astonished that you can make yourself write something like that, to be honest.

I never shirk from the truth Herbergeeh. I'd much rather have had him fit and well and I certainly don't possess a crystal ball but in hindsight and given the circumstances we would prob have been quite justified to have terminated his contract and looked for a replacement striker. Last seasons flirt with relegation was to close a call and just think where we may have been should Cole or Stead have got a long term injury? They didn't of course but it could have consigned our Premiership experience to the history books.

btw despite his marvellous matchwinning goal last Sat I am still far from convinced that he has the ability to return to Premiership quality. I only hope that I'm proven wrong

How many people on here are now eating Humble pie, and saying they supported Matty's comeback. Maybe some of you should re read your posts.

The same people wh came out with all this when he scored that excellent goal against Liverpool.

I have said it before and hope to god that I am wrong I really do. Yes he scored a good goal and there is no doubt he still has an amazing shot. His first touch is still poor. Even for the goal that appears to be worshipped up and down the country, he nearly fell over it.

Whether this is something that confidence can improve I hold my hands up I have no idea, I hope so.

stuwilky Posted on Sep 21 2004, 07:32 

QUOTE (mrsjansen @ Sep 20 2004, 22:59 )

How many people on here are now eating Humble pie, and saying they supported Matty's comeback. Maybe some of you should re read your posts. 

The same people wh came out with all this when he scored that excellent goal against Liverpool.

Yeah and the thing was that he gets dropped after that and not seen again for a season. The best thing for him and us would be to have a good run of games - at least till we play Liverpool. I beleive that he will bag about 5 goals up to that point and we will have our golden boy back.

JANSEN FOR ENGLAND tongue.gif

Maybe I am getting slightly carried away after Jansens goal, and matbe we have heard all this before after the Liverpool game but he was dropped after that,. Lets put a few things into perspective here.................Matt Jansen made one mistake, one thast could have cost him his life and maybe even his football career. In hindsight he shouldn't have done it. We all make mistakes. I bet he isn't the only footballer to get on a moped during a summer break, but because his ended in an accident evryone new about it.

Look to this summer for example Souness allowed his players to travel from a hotel to their training ground on bikes only for Tugay to be the victim of a hit and run with Souness saying he won't allow anymore of his players again to ride a back. Does that not mean that he gave Matty permission, thankfully Tugay only ended up with cuts and bruises but he shouldn't have let him ride it in the first place. How would that have felt to Jansen.

We are talking about a player who 2 years ago was still learning how to tye his shoe laces again. A ball was put to his feet and he didn't know what to do with it. He had to watch vids of himself to show what he could do. Then learn how to play football.

The club stood by him, the truth is Matt Jansen has been phyisicallly fit for about a year, even by GS own admission, but he just hasn't had the confidence. Souness took that away by preffering to play Yorke up front instaed of him.

Jnasen had not just lost the confidence in himself as a footballer, but as a person, after some home games the way his face used to light up when little kids ran over to him to ask for his autograph, becasure they still remembered who he was. When grown up supporters told him to keep the faith and never stop beleiving, it would give him some heart. The fact that he had to read in the papaer that he could look for another club because the manager coulsdn't be bothered to tell him to his face.

Yet Matty just kept plugging away and kept a relatively dignified silence. He didn't go moaning to the F.A about being poorly treated or go roung arguing with the manager in training he kept quiet and plugged away, hoping that GS would leave rather than himself.

Has anyone ever seen a player look so nervous coming onto a pitch as a sub before?! How many players shed a tear after scoring the winning goal, then saluting the Rovers fans because he truly appreciates them and realises that we have tried to give him back that faith.

It may take a while for us to see the old Matty, and he may never be the same, he now has to think about how to do things, but there is still that magic there, that we will get to see.

Thats what makes Saturday so sweet.

The futures bright.

I agree entirely Mrs J.

My 6 yr old lad was obsessed with Matt ever since his 1st game, not with Rovers with Matt.

I've had to explain to him for the last couple of years that he has been poorly etc and might have to play somewhere else.

Imagine the smile on his face when I got home half cooked on saturday to tell him that MJ was back and scored the winning goal.

It's a moment I'll never forget.

I just hope he is playing tomorrow night when I take him.

Maybe I am getting slightly carried away after Jansens goal, and maybe we have heard all this before after the Liverpool game.......etc

Mrs J,

I salute you. Brilliant post.

The heart over the head and long may it reign.

OK I know its the Sun, but they are reporting.

MARK HUGHES has handed Matt Jansen the chance to earn a new contract at Blackburn.

The ex-England Under-21 star fell out of favour with old boss Graeme Souness.

But Jansen, 26, gave Hughes a winning start with Rovers by scoring against Portsmouth at the weekend.

Jansen’s contract runs out at the end of the season but he will get a chance to impress in tonight’s Carling Cup tie against Bournemouth.

Hughes said: “As far as I’m concerned, Matt is going nowhere. He just needs confidence.”

OK I know its the Sun, but they are reporting.

MARK HUGHES has handed Matt Jansen the chance to earn a new contract at Blackburn.

The ex-England Under-21 star fell out of favour with old boss Graeme Souness.

But Jansen, 26, gave Hughes a winning start with Rovers by scoring against Portsmouth at the weekend.

Jansen’s contract runs out at the end of the season but he will get a chance to impress in tonight’s Carling Cup tie against Bournemouth.

Hughes said: “As far as I’m concerned, Matt is going nowhere. He just needs confidence.”

I'll be very happy if thats true thumbs-up.gif

...............The club stood by him, the truth is Matt Jansen has been phyisicallly fit for about a year, even by GS own admission, but he just hasn't had the confidence. Souness took that away by preffering to play Yorke up front instaed of him.

.........................................Yet Matty just kept plugging away and kept a relatively dignified silence. He didn't go moaning to the F.A about being poorly treated or go roung arguing with the manager in training he kept quiet and plugged away, hoping that GS would leave rather than himself.

Bit too sentimental Mrs J. Have you been reading too many weepies? The simple truth is that despite being given chance afterchance he has not performed well enough in training and in the reserves to convince the manager that he is worth his place. Do you not think GS would have loved to have a fully fit and capable Jansen when we were in last years relegation scrap? I'm damned sure he would. And even more so before we signed Stead. Criticise GS all you want but when a team is at the bottom of the table it is the managers neck on the block and not the players.

As for dignified silences and plugging away until GS left?! I think GS treatment of MJ was brilliant. Souness never criticised him once but in public supported him totally. I have no doubt that he would have had the boards support in replacing him on the condition that he got rid first, but that never happened and tat can only have been Souness's decision.

Bandwagon jumping to diss GS is very popular at the moment for very obvious reasons but even he does not deserve criticism for the way he treated MJ.

Edited by thenodrog

Maybe I am getting slightly carried away after Jansens goal, and maybe we have heard all this before after the Liverpool game.......etc

Mrs J,

I salute you. Brilliant post.

The heart over the head and long may it reign.

Heart over the head? Very commendable but tantamount to suicide in any kind of competetive business.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.