BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

Seems a strange logic to me- are Radio Lancs saying that the backroom staff Hughes or Strachan or Houllier would bring to Ewood are all unemployed layabouts? Surely there will be contracts to be bought out for all the backroom boys just as Newcastle had to prise away the three from Rovers.

I have no doubt that when the Board offer and the new manager accepts, John Williams has enough skill to sort out the four contractual issues without Rovers being ripped off for time or money.

The only new comment in the Press comes from Scotland where the Hearts manager denies he is in the running for the Rovers' vacancy... Really?

The Malta Times carries my denial as well.

I suspect the Rovers are having some difficulties with the Mark Hughes' candidacy. I fully expect the statements made by Tony Parkes and Craig Short encouraging Hughes were made with the full knowledge and support of the Board.

TP's most recent comments that the days of Rovers appointing big name managers are over could be seen as being part of the same campaign of trying to push Mark Hughes into making a move/ preparing the Rovers support for someone other than Hughes.

Perhaps old Sparky has not applied and the Board do not want to be compromised into a situation in which they have to make the approach?

Edited by philipl

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps old Sparky has not applied and the Board do not want to be compromised into a situation in which they have to make the approach?

If that's true then Mark Hughes shouldn't be considered, there seems little point in appointing a manager who has not applied for the job. While I would welcome Hughes to Ewood his current good standing is based on little more than he's a decent man, who has improved a very poor Welsh team. If Sparky is interested fine and dandy, but if not the board shouldn't chase him.

Personally I'm in favour of Strachan - young, motivated, proven and no contractual baggage.

Just do not give me Hoddle, Reid, Venables, Houllier, Graham.

No matter who gets the job - and the Rovers board want a deal tied up by midweek - they will be told to cut costs. The spend, spend, spend days of the late Jack Walker are long gone.

From the Sunday Mirror article - shows how up to the moment the Mirror is.

The People report "It's a tough job.. but when going gets tough I really get going" but not after buying a load of rubbish and not seeing the job through though eh Graeme? Or perhaps you knew you were going to be sacked? Anyway the headline should read as above but "...I really get going..... to Newcastle, get a five year contract, which will earn me a "Grabbi", and I've spent the last few days creased up with laughter at just how lucky I am"

The People also report that Iain Dowie is our number one choice, and that the only stumbling block will be whether or not Dowie has signed the four year contract that was on offer. Palace Chairman Simon Jordon has made things tricky for managers in the past, e.g. Steve Bruce, when he tried walking away. Mesageboard favourite Alan Nixon was one of the reporters on this piece.

I fully expect Hughes to be installed tomorrow. A fairly good source has told me he's down at Ewood today.

We dont want Dowie. Palace were absolutely dreadful yesterday.

I've gone off the idea of Houllier.

Please God no Reid, Advocaat or Royle.

Moyes would be ok but its not going to happen.

Its Hughes for me. And quick after yesterday's shambles.

Accyrover

The People article. I would say there is a high codswallop factor in this article- either Palace can produce a signed contract or they cannot.

I read somewhere that JW and Mark Hughes were meeting unofficially today- sounds like a preliminary sounding out to see if he would apply.

The Rovers can only make an official approach to FAW if Hughes is the man they have decided on and they clearly have not reached that point.

A bit different to Newcastle offering to half the Premiership before they finally reached S for Souness.

It's fair to say that despite what JW has said after yesterdays performance we are desperate to get the new man in ASAP.

Hughes seems to want to jobshare with the Wales job which we (BRFC) don't seem to agree with.

Dowie might not want the job and also may be under contract at Palace.

No-one has confirmed if Strachan is even interested.

It's common knowledge Advocat wants the job and has applied. Also the LET think he may be on the shortlist.

Oh Dear sad.gif

BTW, Dowie is now my No.1 choice.

Hi chaps,

Just thought I would give a Palace fans perspective on all this. Our Boards are all going a bit made, with people saying Dowie is leaving to manage you guys. This is pretty much based on seeing Dowie's odds getting lower though, not through any source that might have heard something.

At the moment Dowie is only contracted until the end of the season, however, as it has already been mentioned, all the back room staff he has bought with him have just signed 4 year contracts. Dowie considers his back room staff (John Harbin the fitness coach and Bob Dowie) very important, so if he does move to you I would be sure that he would stipulate that those two come with him, and thats where it might get a bit messy and expensive.

Personally, I wouldn't begrudge him the move to you. Your obviously a bigger more established club. However, I would maybe start to question his loyalty a little. Although you may be bigger, there are certainly a number of bigger/better clubs than you. So if he does continue to do well and maintain his reputation for being one of the countries best up and coming managers, it will only be a matter of time before he jumps your ship to join someone else.

I hope he doesn't go, and beleive you will be better off get Hughesy, but thats just my opinion.

Anyway, best of luck whoever you get.

Hi Palace fan, good to hear your views.

I'd imagine that the backroom staff are paid far far less than the manager. Therefore the compensation might not be that big an issue. I think I'm right in saying that although there's been not much national comment on Dowie our local paper, the Lancashire Evening Telegraph, has put his name forward and as they're quite close to the club they usually don't involve in idle gossip.

I'm sure Dowie is in Rovers' minds but no-one knows whose number 1 choice and whose available. I guess we'll all have to watch with interest but for different reasons.

Your right that they will not be paid as much as Dowie (although I doubt he is on that much really!). If your board do decide that Dowie is your man, then the stumbling block wont really be the contracts in place or the compensation, it will be our chairman. He can be a bit of knob at times, and a stubborn knob at that.

When Steve Bruce decided that Birmingham was the place for him he tried to leave us, but Simon Jordon - our chairman - placed him on gardening leave and took Birmingham to court. Just before the court case, Birmingham came up with a package that Palace accepted. If it had gone to court, I have no doubt that we would have won, and Jordon had stated previously that he would keep Bruce at home on full pay for full remainder of his contract.

Sometimes I admire the fact that he doesn't let people walk all over him, but he goes OTT a lot of the time!

What I'm also concerned about are the messages that we have a good squad that are coming from JW. In my opinion we have glaring weaknesses with very few strengths.

I really don't know how many people have applied for the job nor do I know anything about their long-term potential as manager of our club.

What I do know is that it all sounds a little like 5 years ago when there was a lot of complacency about the appointment which was not only going to save us but was also going to result in MU imploding.

Would you really like JW to say "Well we've had a few applicants but I'm not really sure why as our squad is crap and we are doomed to be relegated. Whoever the poor sod is who we choose to take over will have his career and name ruined by this club, and probably even his own family will disown him". We do have a good squad, it has it's problems, with the biggest one being that it has no staff.

withstupid.gif

Not that I believe the Royle rumour at all, but how could he even be linked! He has a shocking reputation. I'd even prefer Alan Ball to arrive in his sinking ship!!!

JOE ROYLE MANAGERIAL RECORD

Oldham____P608__W225_D165_L218

Everton____P118__W47__D36__L35

Man City____P171_W74__D47__L50

Ipswich____P97___W47__D21__L29

Wheres since 1989 Alan Ball has lost more games than he's won at every club he's been at (4 in total) apart from Southampton (W22 L21).

I had this argument about Royle at work already this week in that statistically his record is not that bad. It's certainly not as you put it 'shocking' unless your refering to something else with reputation.

Not that I want him though!

some of the papers afull of sh%%e, the sunday mail is linking Craig Levein of Hearts to the job !

BBC Sport have picked up on this.

According to them Levein has been discussed by the board and could be on the shortlist.

Levein was asked yesterday about a posiible move to Blackburn and refused to comment.

What I'm also concerned about are the messages that we have a good squad that are coming from JW.

I've been consoling myself with the thought that no serious manager, and I think we have to acknowledge Souness is a serious manager, would deliberatley surround himself with a crap squad.

I find it difficult to see much talent in the team but I believe they are seriously demoralised and not able to show their true worth. Clearly much has happened at Rovers in the last 12 months. We know very little of what has really happened in the dressing room. These players now need a new manager to come in, give them a cuddle, reassure them and build their collective confidence.

Then it's got to be onward and upwards Rovers. cos it can't get much worse.

as it has already been mentioned, all the back room staff he has bought with him have just signed 4 year contracts. Dowie considers his back room staff (John Harbin the fitness coach and Bob Dowie) very important, so if he does move to you I would be sure that he would stipulate that those two come with him, and thats where it might get a bit messy and expensive.

All due respects but it prob wont work that way cos unless Palace chose to replace Dowie from within any new manager for them would prob want to bring his own assistants and Palace would then have to terminate and pay up on those 4 year contracts.

The bonus with GS moving to Newcastle was him taking Boersma, Murray and Saunders with him. Any new manager coming here would not want them and they would have been expensive for us to get rid of.