BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

It was by the numbers but I still think it was one of the better comic book movies that year.

I think that you have to look at Thor and Captain America as being two of the more successful comic book movies of recent times. Chris Nolan's Batman is by far and away the best comic book character put to screen so far in my opinion. Sam Raimi's Spiderman started well, but went down hill. Iron Man was good. Iron Man 2 was very weak. The X-Men series has never been able to nail it for one reason or another. Wolverine was ######. I enjoyed the last Superman, but that isn't proceeding with that line up. Daredevil was half decent. I've never been that fussed by the Hulk movies or Hellboy. Blade is one of my favourite movies, but the ones after rapidly go down hill. Others like Elektra, Catwomen, Jonah Hex, The Punisher, Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider are just too awful to even consider.

Edited by RoyRover

I think that you have to look at Thor and Captain America as being two of the more successful comic book movies of recent times. Chris Nolan's Batman is by far and away the best comic book character put to screen so far in my opinion. Sam Raimi's Spiderman started well, but went down hill. Iron Man was good. Iron Man 2 was very weak. The X-Men series has never been able to nail it for one reason or another. Wolverine was ######. I enjoyed the last Superman, but that isn't proceeding with that line up. Daredevil was half decent. I've never been that fussed by the Hulk movies or Hellboy. Blade is one of my favourite movies, but the ones after rapidly go down hill. Others like Elektra, Catwomen, Jonah Hex, The Punisher, Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider are just too awful to even consider.

I agree, except that Captain America was awful. And the first two X-Men movies weren't bad. In fact, X-Men 2 is still one of the best comic book movies to this day.

My criticism of Thor is that it wasn't a superhero movie, more a love story. There was lots of totally ignored or very badly explained science in it. It was extremely predictable, and the enemy was not exactly hard to beat. I honestly thought it was very poor.I dont want to add too much detail as dont want to spoil anyone elses viewing, but as an example at the very beginning the scientists are going to a place where unexplained but predictable events where happening - nothing further was ever done to explain this in the rest of the film.

It was like it was left wide open for Thor2 but I doubt that will happen as the firs film bombed.

Watched Tyranasaurus a few nights ago, not the easiest film to watch given the content, but thought the portrayal of the main character was excellent, and the film full of drama. Well worth a watch if your not easily offended, but not a family / sit down and relax movie. Personally IMO removing the last 2 minutes of the film would have improved the storyline.

I agree, except that Captain America was awful. And the first two X-Men movies weren't bad. In fact, X-Men 2 is still one of the best comic book movies to this day.

I thought Captain America was excellent. X-Men weren't bad, but they were just lacking something extra and I found it all a bit flat.

Thought Limitless was average at best. Also couldn't believe the hype around Drive which again I thought was average.

Enjoyed 50/50 and Warrior. both worth a watch although they are 2 very different films.

Average is being generous. It was awful.

It beats 'The Artist' for the first modern day silent movie. It's not a video game - a silent protagonist doesn't work!

• Backroom

Anyone use Netflix? Just signed up via Quidco, free for 30 days with no charge if you cancel within the 30 days and if you watch 5 hours worth of content there's £15 cashback. £5.99 a month for unlimited streaming.

The UK catalogue is OK but not great but for the 360 at least there are 'workarounds' to access the American catalogue which is gargantuan.

Why is it though when you have access to all these films etc your mind just goes blank when it comes to what to watch

Went to see "The Grey" last night.

It's a bit of a strange film in that it is really well filmed, well acted, Liam Neeson holds the whole thing together. The suspense is great, but it's based on the fact that wolves attack people. They don't.

Like "Moby Dick" for 2012.

It's a bit of a strange film in that it is really well filmed, well acted, Liam Neeson holds the whole thing together. The suspense is great, but it's based on the fact that wolves attack people. They don't.

Wolves do attack people from time to time. Click.

Watched Tyranasaurus a few nights ago, not the easiest film to watch given the content, but thought the portrayal of the main character was excellent, and the film full of drama. Well worth a watch if your not easily offended, but not a family / sit down and relax movie. Personally IMO removing the last 2 minutes of the film would have improved the storyline.

I've just watched this and thought it was a very good film. Much better than all the supposed blockbusters from last year. I kind of see where you are coming from about the last couple of minutes but there was nothing wrong with it. It's kind of playing to the Hollywood happy ending, even though its not.

Can't believe it's not on the IMDB top 250 films to mark off on framerater. That's the second film in 2 days that's not counted (along with The Fighter which I also thought was pretty good.)

I went to see it and found it really well done but so cold and miserable. I know it was meant to be an externalisation of the guy's depression but most depressives I've come across have good days and bad days - here there were no good bits even. Enjoyed it all the same but found it weird that i enjoyed it.

Woman in Black - excellent film, just don't go on your own. There were moments tonight when I swear the audience stopped breathing. Very good.

Not as atmospheric as the stage production I saw at the Lowry a year or so ago. After a while in the film you knew when they were going to try to make you jump and I sort of got immune to it. Enjoyed it but wasn't really disturbed by it afterwards whereas in the theatre much was suggested but very little shown so the creeping horror of it was more subtle but longer lasting.

after getting more excited about the Avenger's movie from the 2nd trailer than a 33 year old really should. I watched Captain America and Thor this week. Wow, I was surprised (i wasnt, i thought id like them) about how much fun they were, even if Hugo Weaving just looked like Jim Carey in the Mask, but with sunburn.

• Backroom

I watched F on film four last night, I like cheap slasher films but it was simply terrible.

Faceless teens killing teachers in a school at night, somehow these guys are masters of sneaking silently atop bookcases etc, no real ending either it was like they ran out of money and said right let's just leave it then.

Just awful