BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

A week or two ago Mowbray said he was happy with his central midfield options https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/december/mowbray-happy-with-central-options/

I don't think he was being entirely honest. Smallwood hasn't had a decent partner in there all season. Mowbray mentioned he signed Harper because he was mobile and could get around the pitch, something he hinted the others couldn't. It is obviously something Mowbray thinks the team needs in centre mid. Lowe makes sense for that reason. If it's on a free or on loan on low wages then Mowbray can spend his budget elsewhere (on wingers) without having to splash out on a central midfielder too. Mowbray also wanted to keep Lowe in the summer so he obviously rates him.

Maybe we expect too much? Mowbray's signings have been hit and miss. The successes have been Dack, Smallwood and Downing. I wouldn't include Chapman because he never played him. The rest have been very average. Samuel at  £500k is a poor piece of business. The summer recruitment (only players Mowbray knows or did well against him) smacked of laziness. The potential signings of Lowe and Armstrong are a continuation of this policy.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

A week or two ago Mowbray said he was happy with his central midfield options https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/december/mowbray-happy-with-central-options/

I don't think he was being entirely honest. Smallwood hasn't had a decent partner in there all season. Mowbray mentioned he signed Harper because he was mobile and could get around the pitch, something he hinted the others couldn't. It is obviously something Mowbray thinks the team needs in centre mid. Lowe makes sense for that reason. If it's on a free or on loan on low wages then Mowbray can spend his budget elsewhere (on wingers) without having to splash out on a central midfielder too. Mowbray also wanted to keep Lowe in the summer so he obviously rates him.

Maybe we expect too much? Mowbray's signings have been hit and miss. The successes have been Dack, Smallwood and Downing. I wouldn't include Chapman because he never played him. The rest have been very average. Samuel at  £500k is a poor piece of business. The summer recruitment (only players Mowbray knows or did well against him) smacked of laziness. The potential signings of Lowe and Armstrong are a continuation of this policy.

The summer recruitment (only players Mowbray knows or did well against him) smacked of laziness. The potential signings of Lowe and Armstrong are a continuation of this policy.

Or a lack of a good scouting network or even one at all ....

5 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

The summer recruitment (only players Mowbray knows or did well against him) smacked of laziness. The potential signings of Lowe and Armstrong are a continuation of this policy.

Either that or sticking to the known and trusted - it happens in other jobs too. It also shows Mowbray's inate conservatism - he also doesn't appear to trust Rovers academy players. I've also heard it said that managers are only as good as their contacts book. Mowbray's, it appears, is rather thin. 

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Maybe we expect too much? Mowbray's signings have been hit and miss. The successes have been Dack, Smallwood and Downing. The rest have been very average. Samuel at  £500k is a poor piece of business. The summer recruitment (only players Mowbray knows or did well against him) smacked of laziness. The potential signings of Lowe and Armstrong are a continuation of this policy.

Laziness? That's a lazy point you just made. Signing players you have seen first hand is a pretty decent idea if you ask me. Also,you forgot Antonnsson as a good signing. Anyway,even mowbray acknowledged the recruitment side of things needs work and has been working on addressing it behind the scenes. Rome wasn't built in a day. Sometimes I think fans forget the mess this club has descended into over the past 7 years. 

So,as you think Lowe and Armstrong is a continuation of the "lazy recruitment",do you think we shouldn't sign either? In Armstrong's case,cutting nose to spite face springs to mind. Every team has hit and misses with signings. I would say,when you look at the amount of signings we made, mowbrays success ratio is pretty decent. I agree about Samuel though,he has stalled badly. When you consider he is probably one of ,if not the most,expensive striker in League 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Can we please stop saying on low wages Lowe makes sense etc. Lowe does not make sense on any level. He is mobile and can get around the pitch, unfortunately that doesnt usually involve the ball or have any bearing at all on the game. As I said about him a year or two ago, he either marks space or runs about a bit whilst the game goes on around him.

You wouldn't sign me up to play for a fiver a week purely on the basis I was cheap, I can't do the job.

Neither can Lowe. We shouldn't be looking to touch him with a bargepole at any price.

I remember Hodgson once complaining about the quality of Martin Dahlin, after he'd signed him for us. Something along the lines of 'he's not the player I remember'. That's the problem with signing players based on past knowledge/experience. All managers do it but it's lazy. Do your homework, don't sign someone because they played well against your team 3 years ago. Gladwin is a prime example. Mowbray would have come across him when he was playing well for Swindon in 2015. He's done nothing since and has hardly played for the last 2 years. He is quite obviously not the same player that QPR signed.

As for not having a scouting network, what happened to Tommy Johnson? He's been head scout for a few years hasn't he?

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Can we please stop saying on low wages Lowe makes sense etc. Lowe does not make sense on any level. He is mobile and can get around the pitch, unfortunately that doesnt usually involve the ball or have any bearing at all on the game. As I said about him a year or two ago, he either marks space or runs about a bit whilst the game goes on around him.

You wouldn't sign me up to play for a fiver a week purely on the basis I was cheap, I can't do the job.

Neither can Lowe. We shouldn't be looking to touch him with a bargepole at any price.

I think he can do the job, if the job is to be no worse than Evans and Whittingham.

And can we please stop deriding Bennett, he contributes more than Evans, Samuel, Gladwin, and Whittingham put together.

I didnt realise yesterday but Peterborough have a lad up front called Jack Marriotf who apparently has been outstanding all season, scored two against Villa away in the Cup, has scored seventeen in the League and 5 in 5 in the Cup.

If we were really serious about promotion we should me making Posh an offer they can't refuse for this lad.

Not talking about bringing back proven failures like Jason Lowe.

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 17:14, blueboy3333 said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/key-peterborough-figure-confirms-2m-bids-launched-for-impressive-duo-leeds-united-linked/

I think we can forget about Maddison and Marriot from P'boro. £2m bids turned down for each.

You mean this Jack Marriot @Revidge Blue. You got £2m kicking about? Perhaps you need to recalibrate your expectations. We are in the Lowe market, not the Marriott one.

And can we please stop deriding Bennett, he contributes more than Evans, Samuel, Gladwin, and Whittingham put together.

No. He's no better than the first three and even less use than Whittingham who manages occasionally to put together one or two nice pieces of play. 

The sooner Mowbray realises that tbe better. I doubt he will though, he seems to be one of those players like Lowe for whom managers have a blind spot to their lack of ability due to them being an all round good egg.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

No. He's no better than the first three and even less use than Whittingham who manages occasionally to put together one or two nice pieces of play. 

The sooner Mowbray realises that tbe better. I doubt he will though, he seems to be one of those players like Lowe for whom managers have a blind spot to their lack of ability due to them being an all round good egg.

I think it's you with the blind spot.

You mean this Jack Marriot @Revidge Blue. You got £2m kicking about? Perhaps you need to recalibrate your expectations. We are in the Lowe market, not the Marriott one.

They've got the money. How badly do they want it?

It would be a Rhodes type signing. If we didnt get promoted for any reason it's unliikely we wouldnt make a profit on the player at some point.

They've got the money. How badly do they want it?

It would be a Rhodes type signing. If we didnt get promoted for any reason it's unliikely we wouldnt make a profit on the player at some point.

It's not going to happen so it's not realistic to suggest him as a signing. Leeds want him and have bid £2m. We can't compete.

I think it's you with the blind spot.

0 goals, 3 assists, 2 red cards. 

I'm not sure why I have to keep pointing out tbe obvious. Stan Ternent's blind man on a galloping horse could see Bennett is completely useless. Unfortunately it seems TM can't.

If we're after a central midfielder then buy one who will help us get promoted, not a proven failure from the past.

The lad at Shrewsbury (Nolan) will be on peanuts a week. Offer him 3x the money and he'll soon have his head turned. 

1 hour ago, Garage Flower said:

I think a lot on here have far too much faith in their abilities to predict who a player will fit into our club with our current squad under our current manager. We just don’t know how it’ll work out with some players until they get a kick. Nobody saw Downing turning out the way they did. How many saw Whittingham disappointing like he has so far this season?

I said when we signed Whittingham that it could be " a season too far " for him. Look it up if you don't believe me. One or two other people thought the same at the time and we got a bit of stick off the " true believers " on the site. Unfortunately  so far he's proved me dead right. Just tell me we didn't sign him on more than a one year contract please !

I used to say Robbie Savage reminded me of a dog chasing a crisp packet around an empty car park on a windy day. Lowe is just the same but at least Savage caught the crisp packet from time to time.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Laziness? That's a lazy point you just made. Signing players you have seen first hand is a pretty decent idea if you ask me. Also,you forgot Antonnsson as a good signing. Anyway,even mowbray acknowledged the recruitment side of things needs work and has been working on addressing it behind the scenes. Rome wasn't built in a day. Sometimes I think fans forget the mess this club has descended into over the past 7 years. 

So,as you think Lowe and Armstrong is a continuation of the "lazy recruitment",do you think we shouldn't sign either? In Armstrong's case,cutting nose to spite face springs to mind. Every team has hit and misses with signings. I would say,when you look at the amount of signings we made, mowbrays success ratio is pretty decent. I agree about Samuel though,he has stalled badly. When you consider he is probably one of ,if not the most,expensive striker in League 1

I say the juries still out on wether Antonnson will be good signing. I'm relieved we only signed him as a loan player to be honest, I wouldn't pay a fee to take him on.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I say the juries still out on wether Antonnson will be good signing. I'm relieved we only signed him as a loan player to be honest, I wouldn't pay a fee to take him on.

Antonsson's very average even at third division level. He wouldn't start in any Rovers team of mine. 

Archived