GunnerRover7

January transfer window 2020

2 hours ago, TruRover said:

While there is still a lot to play for this season, if it goes ahead, we are most likely to be remaining in this league, which sets us up for an important transfer window. 

Personally I think this summer window is a big one for us. A lot of the experienced players we’ve relied on over the past few seasons have seeming run their course - Graham, Bennett, Mulgrew and even Evans to an extent. Who along with a bunch of fringe players who need moving on, leaves us with quite a few gaps where we need to bring in quality players who can go straight into the first team, if we are to push on to the next level. 

Our back line is clearly the point which has the most question marks, with a new goalkeeper, centre back and left back all needed. Thankfully in Lenihan and Nyambe we’ve already got 2 quality defensive players in this division, so with the right additions we could see a strong backline next season. In terms of goalkeeper, I would like to see us go for Martinez of Arsenal, who I am led to believe we were interested in signing last summer. At left back I can’t look past the free transfer of Martin Olsson (I don’t believe he’s signed anywhere else?). He’s getting on abit now but he’s still got the legs and quality for the championship, at least for a season. He also would provide an experienced head in the dressing room who has promotion and prem experience. Finally I would like to see us go abit left field with our purchase of a centre back partner for Lenihan, in Reece oxford from Ausburg. Been out of favour there this season and is rumoured to be available on the cheap with a number of championship clubs supposedly interested. Would massively help fill the void that Tosin will leave as like him oxford has a good range of passing, mainly down to him being a central midfielder until recent years.

Finding a central midfield partner for Travis will also be a important buy, though it could be quite simple in my eyes. Harrison reed I believe is out of contract at the end of season (that may be wrong) and would fit perfectly into that role. He’s a player who knows the club and would fit straight in, while his quality is well known to us rovers fans. I don’t think he has quite hit the heights at Fulham which could work in our favour. Him and travis would provide us with an all action, high energy partnership which would be perfect for the championship.

In terms of attack I actually believe we are pretty well stocked. However, with Armstrong seemingly beginning to make the striker spot his own it does leaves one of our wide spots open, with Rothwell on the other. This is where we need some natural creativity and pace, and a wildcard option could be emre mor. A extremely talented young player who has lost his way abit and is currently available on the cheap at around 4million, which is the rough figure that Brentford were apparently quoted in January. While 4million may still seem quite a lot of money, I’ve believe it would be a shrewd acquisition, with a massive potential resale value if it works out. 

this would leave us with a team looking like this 

Martinez 

nymabe Lenihan oxford olsson

reed travis

rothwell dack/Holtby (Until Davis fit) mor

Armstrong

subs: fisher, Williams, Johnson, Downing, Buckley/chapman, brereton/Holtby, Gallagher 

ofc finances this summer may well dictate that even these acquisitions are out of our range, I am only going of what our rough spends have been in previous summer windows. But either way this is a key summer for us to bolster the squad with strong first team players, if we are to make a serious promotion push.

Who is Davis?

15 hours ago, TruRover said:

Martinez 

nymabe Lenihan oxford olsson

reed travis

rothwell dack/Holtby (Until dack fit) mor

Armstrong

subs: fisher, Williams, Johnson, Downing, Buckley/chapman, brereton/Holtby, Gallagher 

For me personally, this team is no better than what we're rocking right now. Walton and Tosin are quite easily better options than Martinez and Oxford, based solely on the fact we know exactly what we're getting from them and new loans are always risky. Reed would be a nice addition but that's the only true change. I like Harrison but him and him alone isn't going to get us any closer to the play-offs. Olsson isn't as good as he was and I'd sooner see Greg Cunningham return.

We'd need to address other areas for me. Wide players is what we need.

Jordan Jones at Rangers is one we've been linked with, I don't mind that. Played with Mowbray and Armstrong before, and if we want Arma to be our 20 goal a season striker, he needs someone who works well with him. If we're honest, Dack and Armstrong have never had the most electric chemistry together on the pitch.

McLoughlin seems like he's coming, a solid but not exactly exciting goalkeeper by most accounts. That's bearable. Unless we address the gaping holes out wide, and somehow replace/keep Tosin, we're not going to moving forward from the 19/20 season with much vigour. 

McLoughlin

Nyambe    Lenihan    Tosin    Cunningham

Travis    Downing

Jozwiak    Dack    Jones

Armstrong

Subs: Fisher, Williams, Johnson, JRC, Rothwell, Holtby, Gallagher

Would be a nice transfer window. Jones, Jozwiak, Tosin, Cunningham, Downing (given another year), would all need sorting for this to happen. Not cheap. Tosin and Jozwiak are completely unlikely so even a side like this is pretty unattainable. Then you've got to replace some bench players like Graham, Bennett, Smallwood, Bell etc.. Nightmare of a window and completely the clubs fault for not pushing in the last transfer winodw.

I would be very surprised to see us spend a fee this summer. In fact I think it would be distasteful if the transfer window saw anything like normal spending. I dont see how it is possible even for the big teams this year.

Heard Rovers sniffing around Lynden Gooch from Sunderland

On 20/05/2020 at 08:40, Ricky said:

Rangers have announced that Andy Halliday and Jon Flanagan have both been released. Flanagan looked very good when he broke through at Liverpool and he’s only 27. Wonder if he could be an option at full back for us. I don’t know a great deal about Halliday. Maybe someone with a bit more Scots football knowledge can add something. 

Halliday is a die hard ranger but woefully lacking any technical ability. L2 is his natural level.

flannagan looked okay but kept getting injured, woman beater and nephew or Bradley Orr. I’d rather stab my eyes out with a fork

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would be very surprised to see us spend a fee this summer. In fact I think it would be distasteful if the transfer window saw anything like normal spending. I dont see how it is possible even for the big teams this year.

why? 

Rovers owners have money so if other clubs don't have money then I would be investing money to get us promotion next season if we don't this season

34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why? 

Rovers owners have money so if other clubs don't have money then I would be investing money to get us promotion next season if we don't this season

Another reason would be P&S as the rules currently stand. With income streams severely curtailed it may be that the rules are relaxed but as it stands it presents a major obstacle for clubs intended spend on new players.

Alex Neil has suggested that clubs who furloughed staff shouldn't be allowed to sign players. From an ethical perspective I agree with him.

...and what about the clubs that had little financial choice in the matter? Of course Venkys probably wouldn't be included in that financial category but it's not like the staff are doing much so why not furlough them? The club has done absolutely zero to gain publicity in the current environment. For me it would be a good excuse to fire some of them and bring in some creative minds to shake things up.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Another reason would be P&S as the rules currently stand. With income streams severely curtailed it may be that the rules are relaxed but as it stands it presents a major obstacle for clubs intended spend on new players.

Alex Neil has suggested that clubs who furloughed staff shouldn't be allowed to sign players. From an ethical perspective I agree with him.

are we talking staff in non playing or playing staff? 

I have no problem with owners investing their own money into clubs. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

why? 

We dont usually have a massive kitty, and surely that will have been swallowed up by reduction in income both past and ongoing, cost of testing etc.

I just personally think it would be a bit questionable if following the steps taken to complete the top couple of divisions, if the summer saw the usual spending spree splashing big money on players across the world ahead of another behind closed doors season, it wouldnt sit right.

Whatever my own personal feelings are on it, I suspect and would guess that we wont be splashing out on new signings, surely we have to cut our cloth accordingly. Naive to expect the window to pass as normal really.

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Heard Rovers sniffing around Lynden Gooch from Sunderland

Not sure it is wise to be sniffing around gooch.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Not sure it is wise to be sniffing around gooch.

There's a headline! It's a weird term anyway what's wrong with "looking at" or "interested in"?

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We dont usually have a massive kitty, and surely that will have been swallowed up by reduction in income both past and ongoing, cost of testing etc.

No one is asking for a massive transfers kitty but a sensible budget where we can made 5 or 6 signings 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

are we talking staff in non playing or playing staff? 

I have no problem with owners investing their own money into clubs. 

I'm talking about non playing staff who have been furloughed. Why should the taxpayers fund a furlough scheme and then clubs spend on transfer fees (and all the associated costs) for new players.

Players taking ways deferrals is is different as they will get the difference paid eventually. That is funded by the club.

7 hours ago, JoeH said:

For me personally, this team is no better than what we're rocking right now. Walton and Tosin are quite easily better options than Martinez and Oxford, based solely on the fact we know exactly what we're getting from them and new loans are always risky. Reed would be a nice addition but that's the only true change. I like Harrison but him and him alone isn't going to get us any closer to the play-offs. Olsson isn't as good as he was and I'd sooner see Greg Cunningham return.

We'd need to address other areas for me. Wide players is what we need.

Jordan Jones at Rangers is one we've been linked with, I don't mind that. Played with Mowbray and Armstrong before, and if we want Arma to be our 20 goal a season striker, he needs someone who works well with him. If we're honest, Dack and Armstrong have never had the most electric chemistry together on the pitch.

McLoughlin seems like he's coming, a solid but not exactly exciting goalkeeper by most accounts. That's bearable. Unless we address the gaping holes out wide, and somehow replace/keep Tosin, we're not going to moving forward from the 19/20 season with much vigour. 

McLoughlin

Nyambe    Lenihan    Tosin    Cunningham

Travis    Downing

Jozwiak    Dack    Jones

Armstrong

Subs: Fisher, Williams, Johnson, JRC, Rothwell, Holtby, Gallagher

Would be a nice transfer window. Jones, Jozwiak, Tosin, Cunningham, Downing (given another year), would all need sorting for this to happen. Not cheap. Tosin and Jozwiak are completely unlikely so even a side like this is pretty unattainable. Then you've got to replace some bench players like Graham, Bennett, Smallwood, Bell etc.. Nightmare of a window and completely the clubs fault for not pushing in the last transfer winodw.

Martinez is a much better keeper than Walton. I agree on Oxford though - dont know much about him but midfielders converted to CBs rarely works and tends to point to issues such as injuries or age catching up. 

Olsson, hmmm. Not ideal long term but I doubt you could say we have better here. Even if for one season he would be better than what we have. Cunningham would be the better option longterm i agree. 

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Agree, this window (whenever it happens) will all be about frees. So many players are and will be released or have their contracts not renewed due to financial reasons. 

The good part about this is that players will be hit the hardest. They wont be able to command the wages that they did previously - at least not in the short term.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I'm talking about non playing staff who have been furloughed. Why should the taxpayers fund a furlough scheme and then clubs spend on transfer fees (and all the associated costs) for new players.

Players taking ways deferrals is is different as they will get the difference paid eventually. That is funded by the club.

You mean what Alex Neil is saying.

You make the same argument for companies like Nissan, Landrover, British Airways, Etc who have furlough staff. 

Do you know how many staff have been furlough at Rovers?

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You mean what Alex Neil is saying.

You make the same argument for companies like Nissan, Landrover, British Airways, Etc who have furlough staff. 

Do you know how many staff have been furlough at Rovers?

I wasn't aware that any staff at Rovers have been furloughed. My point was more generalised for all of football.

The difference between the companies you mention is that they won't be spending money on transfer fees. Furlough has been a really good scheme but if football clubs  (or any businesses) abuse it they should be punished.

Exactly, if a club puts its staff on Furlough (claiming they cannot afford to pay them and then need the government to pay them instead) and then splashes 10 million on players next season - thats about as wrong as you can get. That is what the chairman is saying. Clubs that are still themselves paying their staff should not be at a disadvantage to those that are not. 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I wasn't aware that any staff at Rovers have been furloughed. My point was more generalised for all of football.

The difference between the companies you mention is that they won't be spending money on transfer fees. Furlough has been a really good scheme but if football clubs  (or any businesses) abuse it they should be punished.

It's a fair point you make in all fairness aribtro. 

Havent Norwich sign a player whilst furlough non playing staff? 

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's a fair point you make in all fairness aribtro. 

Havent Norwich sign a player whilst furlough non playing staff? 

They have but I they didn't at the time announce whether they paid a fee. If it transpires that they did they should have to pay the furlough money back in my view.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52249423

17 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Martinez is a much better keeper than Walton. I agree on Oxford though - dont know much about him but midfielders converted to CBs rarely works and tends to point to issues such as injuries or age catching up. 

Olsson, hmmm. Not ideal long term but I doubt you could say we have better here. Even if for one season he would be better than what we have. Cunningham would be the better option longterm i agree. 

I don't think Martinez has exactly proven he'd be any better than Walton. As a club you take a massive risk when loaning players in, see £20k a week Kasey Palmer circa 2018/19. Walton might not be everybodies favourite, but we all know full well he's usable at least. Same with Tosin. If we're going to loan players from Top 6 Premier League clubs on silly wages, I'd sooner us go for the proven ones than be aiming for unknown players not only to our team but also to this division.

Cunningham would be great, but our main issue will be that if Amari'i Bell goes, clubs will know how desperate we are at Left-Back and attempt to shaft us. A bit like Manchester United with Josh King, they desperately needed a striker so Bournemouth adjusted the premium accordingly. Might be worth bringing an Olsson back just for cover anyway.

I think there is a big difference between Man United still to replace Lukaku with millions burning a hole in their pocket throwing it at a Prem team desperate to take a key asset from them, and Rovers trying to beg, steal and borrow, especially post financial issues caused by a pandemic to find a left back, targetting one who has been seriously injured and previously considered unneeded by his parent Championship club.

I am not convinced that Cardiff will be happy to loan him out dependant on the opinion of their manager brought in after Cunningham had joined us, I think thats the main issue.

You are right that we need to ensure any loans coming can hit the ground running although to be honest that is easier said than done. Adarabioyo very much was a risk, he had not shown himself (or been given the chance) to prove he was a competent Championship centre back and it was a risk to put our eggs in that one basket. He had spent a season at West Brom in which the vast majority of his game time came out of position at full back where he struggled. We had no evidence that he would come in and slot in so competently.

The loan market is a bit of a minefield unfortunately, and with money at a premium for teams after the pandemic I suspect reliance on and thus competition for them will ramp up. You look at 3 of the most successful loans last year aside from Tosin, Ben White had previously spent a couple of underwhelming loan spells lower down the pyramid and was brought in to replace Jansson, and Conor Gallagher and Rhian Brewster both had no real senior experience. The relevant teams were fortunate as to how well they did.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You look at 3 of the most successful loans last year aside from Tosin, Ben White had previously spent a couple of underwhelming loan spells lower down the pyramid and was brought in to replace Jansson, and Conor Gallagher and Rhian Brewster both had no real senior experience. The relevant teams were fortunate as to how well they did.

isn't WBA player Matheus Pereria loan signing of the season? with 6 goals and 16 assists this season

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Adarabioyo very much was a risk, he had not shown himself (or been given the chance) to prove he was a competent Championship centre back and it was a risk to put our eggs in that one basket. He had spent a season at West Brom in which the vast majority of his game time came out of position at full back where he struggled. We had no evidence that he would come in and slot in so competently.

That's why you got to trust the manager and his scouting staff with scouting players properly. 

Seems like WBA wasted Tosin's talent and ability last season

It will be interesting to see what signings we will make in the Next transfer window

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

isn't WBA player Matheus Pereria loan signing of the season? with 6 goals and 16 assists this season

That's why you got to trust the manager and his scouting staff with scouting players properly. 

Seems like WBA wasted Tosin's talent and ability last season

It will be interesting to see what signings we will make in the Next transfer window

I said 3 of the most successful, 4 including Adarabioyo, which they were, but specifically I was talking about players with minimal or no first team experience prior to this season that had been signed on loan with a risk attached because these sides couldnt know whether they would come in and slot in having had no previous experience or proof that they can do what is expected.

Adarabioyo came with lots of doubts because he had never played any real football at centre back. He had a solitary season at Championship level in which he attracted a lot of criticism for poor performances and mistakes made playing out of position. He had a just excuse for that in that he is a centre back but Mowbray didnt have anything to look back at or indeed scout to say that he would be a competent Championship centre back. If he goes out on loan elsewhere next season that club would be able to look at his spell here.

You dont have to command people to "trust the manager and his scouting staff" every time. The same manager and scouting staff also saw fit to spend 12 million on 2 wastes of space, like any manager he makes mistakes in terms of transfers and people are free to judge and critique rather than just blindly trust. If you are happy to just "trust the manager" as a general rule and cant accept constructive debate then maybe discussions about transfers and players is not for you 

I struggle to be excited about a transfer window that isnt for 2 months presumably when clubs are skint amidst a pandemic ahead of a probably behind closed doors season but each to their own! 

Adarabioyo came with lots of doubts because he had never played any real football at centre back. He had a solitary season at Championship level in which he attracted a lot of criticism for poor performances and mistakes made playing out of position. He had a just excuse for that in that he is a centre back but Mowbray didnt have anything to look back at or indeed scout to say that he would be a competent Championship centre back.

That's why I mention to yourself during that summer about not over judging players on the back some fans opinions. Mowbray and his staff knew their wanted a ball playing centre back last summer

You dont have to command people to "trust the manager and his scouting staff" every time. The same manager and scouting staff also saw fit to spend 12 million on 2 wastes of space,

It was general point about fans trusting their manager and recruitment staff cos of the amount of scouting that clubs do. Wasn't just talking about Rovers but you look at someone like Brentford or Leeds. and the amount of researching and scouting that goes into the scouting players. 

I struggle to be excited about a transfer window that isnt for 2 months presumably when clubs are skint amidst a pandemic ahead of a probably behind closed doors season but each to their own! 

Not sure about next season behind closed doors will be at this stage as we don't even know when the season will start, When the season will start and what the current situation is with a vaccine or treatment then

Some clubs will be skint but we wont be. We have wealthy owners